autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    I just got done watching a youtube video of Griots 3 in 1 vs Meguiars 3 in 1 (both are cleaner, polish, wax.) What these companies offer in 1 bottle is a great idea, but I'm curious if it would that be the same thing as say if I mixed my own concoction like say Meguiars swirl remover, glaze, polish, and nano wax, all in one bottle? I only ask this because as I keep doing my car and customer's cars also, all of these bottles start to run low and going around the vehicles numerous times and consuming lots of time gets me thinking, "what if I mixed my own stuff and went around the whole car once?" Good idea, or leave it to the professional chemists who make the products? Just curious about what everybody's thoughts are.

  2. #2
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    4,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Leave it to the pros in my opinion.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  3. #3
    Senior Member WaxMaster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Leave it to the pros in my opinion.
    I'll 2nd that

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  4. Likes custmsprty, 392hemi liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Isn't HD speed just a mixture of two of their other products? Polish and Poxy?

    It's the concentration that you would need to know to make it effective.

  6. #5
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    4,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Isn't HD speed just a mixture of two of their other products? Polish and Poxy?

    It's the concentration that you would need to know to make it effective.
    Yes, it may combine the same properties of both, but I'm sure they just don't take HD Polish and Poxy and shake them them up in a bottle. There is more science than that to the process.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    A 3in1 is like an AIO/ abrasive cleaner wax. Mostly and not every time 3in1 is more user friendly when hand polishing and also marketed to 3in1. As not all waxes is actually waxes but sealants.

    I would not mix polish and protection by my self. There are some great AIO out there. McKees 37 360 if you want longevity and it seems like Blackfire One Step Finish AIO is also great at the longevity part. Take a look at the Sonax Polymer Net Shield to top an AIO with as it seems to be bonding as good as on bare paint.

  8. #7
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Quote Originally Posted by fabiolas4 View Post
    I just got done watching a youtube video
    of Griots 3 in 1 vs Meguiars 3 in 1 (both
    are cleaner, polish, wax.) What these
    companies offer in 1 bottle is a great idea,

    but I'm curious if it would that be the same
    thing as say if I mixed my own concoction
    like say Meguiars swirl remover, glaze,
    polish, and nano wax
    , all in one bottle?

    I only ask this because as I keep doing my
    car and customer's cars also, all of these
    bottles start to run low and going around
    the vehicles numerous times and consuming
    lots of time gets me thinking, "what if I mixed
    my own stuff and went around the whole car once?"

    Good idea, or leave it to the professional chemists
    who make the products? Just curious about what
    everybody's thoughts are.
    In the traditional sense:
    The blending of detailing products, in an
    exacting manner
    , is best left to the domain
    of the professional Chemists. But there are
    many Detailers that can, at times, be quite
    “non-traditional”.

    •As such:
    -If I were to be dead-set on using up the
    remains in each of the above listed Meguiar’s
    containers, by mixing them all into one container:

    -I’d make sure to perform two separate and
    independent “Test Spots”:
    1.) Using the Meguiar’s AIO
    2.) Using the above DIY Meguiar’s Mixture

    •That way I would be able to see, first hand,
    if this DIY Meg’s Mixture concoction was actually
    capable of effectuating an exacting AIO result.

    Or if I was just spinning my wheels...



    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Thank you everybody for your thoughts and input! I figured I'd ask and see what everybody thinks. Maybe I'll get a cheap test panel from a junk yard that's black and do a test or something and report back with a write up and see if it works. I have a black 01 Grand Prix 2dr so the paint/clear isn't anywhere near as durable as the newer cars are.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Calendyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    3,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    I have no problem mixing polishes and compounds (like M105 with M205 or M105 with D300) but when it comes to protection, I see no reason to. Plenty of good products on the market, why would I try to mix something that might fail after a week because one of the ingredient of the compound prevents the sealant from binding to the paint?

    I am curious, how did the products from Griot and Meguiar's fair against each other? I really like Meguiar's products, D166 Ultra Polishing Wax is my goto AIO. I still have half a gallon of D151 Paint Reconditioning creme that I never use now This year I will use it for my basic detail package. Will do a 2 pass at medium speed. Some correction, some oxydation removal and decent protection, but when am done with that gallon, D166 all the way... unless McKee's 360 manages to win me over, have not tried it yet

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I have no problem mixing polishes and compounds (like M105 with M205 or M105 with D300) but when it comes to protection, I see no reason to. Plenty of good products on the market, why would I try to mix something that might fail after a week because one of the ingredient of the compound prevents the sealant from binding to the paint?

    I am curious, how did the products from Griot and Meguiar's fair against each other? I really like Meguiar's products, D166 Ultra Polishing Wax is my goto AIO. I still have half a gallon of D151 Paint Reconditioning creme that I never use now This year I will use it for my basic detail package. Will do a 2 pass at medium speed. Some correction, some oxydation removal and decent protection, but when am done with that gallon, D166 all the way... unless McKee's 360 manages to win me over, have not tried it yet
    I'm glad to see there's someone out there who has tried this. I might go forth and buy a test panel to see how this goes.
    Here's the video I watched that influenced my question and idea about mixing supplies together.
    YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question on using Iron X and other products?
    By elmonkey009 in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
  2. Question about Wolfgang products.
    By Slfuller83 in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
  3. Question on WG products
    By CAMAROZL1 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM
  4. Products Question
    By hvaughn in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
  5. Question For Those Who Mix Products
    By Waxmax in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 08:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 128

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2019

S M T W T F S
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 123