autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Foam Gun Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post

What I dont understand is why the word "dwell" needs use so often when sit on means just as much. How often does one let the foamed up soap Sit On the car before either using nice mitts or power washing it off?
    I usually only let it dwell while I am working around the car. I use the McKee’s 37 Sio2 wash, foam the whole car and don’t rinse any panels till I have scrubbed everything with the microfiber mitt. So I guess one side dwells much longer and I think (probably wrong) it was easier to clean than the first side.

On our first full wash here after mud season (live off of a dirt road) I left the foam dwell for a good 5-10 minutes to try and penetrate/lift some of the crap. It’s hard to say if it really did much, but in my mind I felt like I was lifting crap off the surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pressure Washer & Foaming Action

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    ISome people foam, let dwell, and then rinse, followed up by a two-bucket wash. I pressure rinse, foam, let dwell, rinse clean. Rather than the two-bucket method, I re-foam and attack with multiple wash mitts, at least 4 and sometimes 6. I figure that as soon as I touch that paint, I'm risking damage, so that's my mitigation strategy.
    Foam cannons fitted with standard quick-disconnects make it super simple (even I can do it) to swap between the cannon and the various nozzles..
    That link to Mike Phillip's "How to Use A Foam Gun" was very educational. I'm definitely interested in getting one of these now. The right power washer too!

[B]Briarpatch- Question on your method on doing it over twice. Does that mean you have to mix up a whole new quart of foam mixture to do this TWICE?

Those of you using one of these on the Highest Settings for Foam - How much does it last? Meaning- can you do the whole car w just ONE quart of mixture? Seems like a very small amount of fluid?

Sounds like the McKees is the favored soap, and does that other "concentrated" fluid just extend the amount of soap used (meaning your use less soap?) I looked at all the suggestions you gave me for Soap Containers that connect to the washer. Seems to me that they all look identical, just have different Brand Names on the bottles. -Or am I looking at the containers which connect to the Garden Hose?)

What I'd give to see someone's Pressure Washer setup connected, or laid out next to the Soap Container! I'm a bit in the dark on exactly how one connects the soap container to a Pressure Washer - OR do you simply use the Soap Containers that are "attached" to the PW itself? If so, then I get it. You dont mix up the soap and then connect anything - it's already within the PW and sprays thru the wand, with the selected tips!

Last question - when using the PW, you cover the car w youd selected soap and spray off - BUT can you simply switch or toggle back and forth between shooting out soap, and shooting out water WITHOUT having to disconnect anything?

**When I logged into the Main Forum Page, I saw TONS of people asking these same questions all over the place. Therefore, I'm extremely thankful for those of you taking the time to help me understand all of this. My biggest symptom of my TBI is "Processing" information. Hence why things laid out in Step by Step guides work best for me.
    Many, many thanks!
    HA! - I finally found a photo small enough it attached!!

Attachment 63773

3. Likes AKT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Foam Gun Setup

Good suggestion from everyone...

Post Thanks / Like

It's little depending where you live and the season and environment. If you where to use it as a prewash step like I like to do. You use a dedicated prewash foam like gtechnic w4 citrus foam or gyeon foam and think that Honeydew is in that category too. When I foam it I do on a dry car so it can be sitting longer and loosen as much dirt as possible before drying on the paint. 5-10min is the time frame often if I don't use a more effective product that is called TFR (traffic film remover) which often needs about 3-5min before rinsing off.

When it comes to rinsing off the prewash foam I use a method that is not so common here and some thinks it's unecessary to do. But here I go and test out both the ordinary and this if you like and see what suits you best. I start at the bottom and work my way up to the roof circuling around the car. The width of the nozzle water pressure I use to thoroughly clean rinsing the paint with. And you see where you have been with the PW as it's much cleaner there and you let the foam work right till it's rinsed off and guideline you where you are. The water pressure from the PW is very effective to clean the paint. In the summer months it could be the only step needed if your car is not that dirty. You have the best blow dryer on the market and I use a strong leafblower which works okay. To dry the car after clean rinsed the foam off and rinsed again from the top down to get all of the loose dirt off and the rest of the foam. In the winter months after the prewash foam and clean rinsed if needed I apply a tar remover and or an ironx product.

Then I move on to a 2bm wash with carpro reset car soap. And ad a QD or a glossenhancer after drying to ad something extra gloss and protection on the car.

I have 240v electric outlets where I live which makes me to use a rather powerfull PW. Kärcher K7 Full Control Premium Flex with the specs 2600psi 2.6gpm gets me a very powerfull cleaning power and it goes much faster than the smallest PW. The effectiveness of a PW comes with gpm and not so much by the psi. So look at which PW that gives you the most gpm between those you look at. Then you have the PW hose which I would recommend to get at least 32' long so you don't have to move the PW unit around when you wash. If you look at kränzle PW that are one of the most durable and high quality there is. You see that they concentrate on the gpm. And if you have the budget to buy you one of those you have a PW for your lifetime and if there where anything to happens with you can get parts to it.

There is no real danger to use consumer PW. The thing to be carefull with is to use small angles nozzle attachements. So never use a 0 grade or the turbo nozzle attachement on cars and other sensitive surfaces. You could test it by set your hand a 4' away and move the hand with the PW on closer to the nozzle. And when it's hurts your hand you have the safe distance where you don't want to get any closer with the nozzle to your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washer & Foaming Action

I typically have enough in the bottle of the foam cannon to foam the vehicle twice, so I do not have to reload the foam cannon for the second phase. In the event that it looks like I won't, I'll use the remaining mixture to load up a wash bucket, and go from there with my multiple wash mitt approach.

McKees is a good soap, but a little on the pricey side, if you ask me. Even though I really like almost all of the McKees products I've purchased, I do not see it as a better value than Honeydew, or Griots Garage Brilliant Shine, or Meguiars Gold Class. I was fortunate, and bought it in bulk a while ago while gallons were on sale. It does indeed foam very well out of both a foam gun and cannon, but I guess you pay a premium for what is considered a premium soap.

With a foam cannon + PW setup, I do not know of a way to switch directly between rinse and soap without disconnecting. The same goes for a standard foam gun setup too.

7. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you out there in Sweden!!

There are so many different methods we use to care for our precious cars, whether daily driver or weekend warriors. We all know the PW is a great tool for high pressure water that cannot be duplicated by use of a regular Home Water Hose.

I suppose what I was asking in my convoluted post above, is "Can you attach a (Foam Gun) to a PW?"
    OR ....Do you spray the car with the (Foam Gun) attached to a regular hose and THEN . use your PW to rinse all of the soap off?

I'll leave it there.

**SWETM - It sounds as if you've got your routine down pretty good, and as I said- whatever works best to keep our cars clean is the key. Your "Rinsing Up" action doesnt sound like something I'll be doing in my routine though. No offense.

9. Thanks roth79 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post

I suppose what I was asking in my convoluted post above, is "Can you attach a (Foam Gun) to a PW?"
    OR ....Do you spray the car with the (Foam Gun) attached to a regular hose and THEN . use your PW to rinse all of the soap off?

I'll leave it there.
    The simple answer is no, you can't. Unless you have multiple hoses set up, you'd still have to disconnect the hose from the foam gun and attach it to the power washer for your rinse. If you're setting up the power washer, cut out the middle man (foam gun), and go straight to using the foam cannon. You'll be quicker, more efficient, and get much better foam.

Mike's video on using the foam gun is outstanding, and I bought my foam gun based on what I saw him doing. I bought my little electric (SunJoe) PW to handle small jobs around the house, and to give my wife a PW setup that she could handle with very little difficulty. I bought the (knock-off) foam cannon just to see how it would do with it. There are times when it's just easier to use the gun for a quick maintenance wash.

11. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes perfect sense. Guess one can't have these two actions in one. Be somethin to patent eh?

I'm dwelling right meow.

Post Thanks / Like

No offence here. We testing products and methods to get our cars clean and protected. And we read and think which we find suits our thoughts best. An example is the waterless and the rinseless washes is very uncommon here in Sweden. But I have carpro Ech2o and will test it to do both when it's seems to be suited on the level of dirt.

The foam gun can not be attached to the pressure wash. There is where the foamcannon comes in use. With the foamcannon setting on the thickest foam setting I use about 20oz of a 32oz bottle on the foamcannon. The dilution is 0.5oz-1oz of car foam soap and filled the rest with water up to 20oz depending on what kind of prewash foam used.

You switch from the foamcannon attachement to the wand attachement nozzle for rinsing on the PW spray gun. There is setups which is used in detailing shops and those with a big budget. That you have the PW installed in one place all the time. And after the PW it's a stationary foam unit. You have a 5 gallon with concentrate foam soap connected to the foam unit. Then you have a PW wand with 2 pipes where you switch a setting on the wand if you want to foam or use water pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Tango Yankee !

*no joke. Anyone TRULY know PW, soaps, wands, and dwelling willing to do a killer build w no cap on financing. Could it be done under 1K ? If you had a G, how would it best be used to buy n build the perfect Heavy Duty Soap Soaking equipment, fluids (Anything Pinnacle related) and strongest n most reliable PW using "Electricity" as source. Lay it out for me how youd do it !

Guess I could make it a Poll but doing that off a cell only would be unreal. Passeming the ball back right meow guys!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast