autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Foam Gun Setup

Yeah, since you'll need a foam gun because you don't want a pressure washer, then I think they're all pretty much the same. Get the cheapest one you find at Autogeek and it will work like the rest. Just set your expectations right. Watch some videos on YT showing how much foam those produce. When I got one I was waiting for it to come and realized it wasn't what I wanted. I then ordered a pressure washer and foam cannon and never actually used the foam gun. I wanted thick, clingy foam. Foam gun can't give you that. But it's also not a must. With good technique for washing the foam is more for show than anything else. It helps but it's not like that's the only way to wash w/o damaging the paint.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Your options are limited to what foam gun to purchase through Autogeek and that is a good thing. Makes it simple to choose.

A quick search in the store will show the same foam gun with a different product label. Pick whichever one is a bit cheaper. At one time I ended up picking up the quart size version of the Blackfire foam gun because it was about $10 cheaper plus the addition of a sale code.

Foam Wash Gun

I would also consider picking these quick connects up to make things even easier.

Single Brass Connector Shut Off Valve

Brass Male Quick Connects 3 Pack

Mike has a great write up on how to use a foam gun.

How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

Unlike a foam cannon, the foam gun is not going to give you that foam that clings to the paint. It is more of a runny foam. You will have to play around with how much soap to use to get the foam to your liking.
    I second this recommendation. If you are looking for a foam gun, definitely go for the ones sold right here on Autogeek. It is a lot of fun to use. I bought one earlier this year and I have ditched the wash bucket. I foam the car, foam the mitt and use multiple wash mitts. The only drawback is that it does use a lot of soap (6-8 oz. per quart solution) and you really need a foaming car soap like Blackfire BF-105. I recently discovered the Blackfire Foam Booster and I can reduce the amount of soap needed. I can use 4 oz. of soap with 1/2 oz of foam boost and still get good results. I can also get great suds from Meguairs Gold Class.
    Thank you for your service Gunny and thank you for joining our forum.

3. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok Gents. Here's what happened yesterday. Went by the shop of the guys doing my PPF n Coating (Btw its gonna be CQuartz, not Crystal Serum) and spoke to them both as they were cleaning n refinishing a set of AMG Wheels.

Told them I was posting inquiries about one of the Hose Type Foam units which they both nixed right away. They said it would be in my best interest to invest in a true "Pressure Washer" since the difference between the psi a hose puts out compared to a PW is MONUMENTAL!
    Therefore, it now appears I'll be rolling w one of these units you guys are talking about instead of the one used off my garden hose! So now I'll have to look into PWs which I can connect to one of these units you guys use. Please send me a couple suggestions on a PW - Is the "Sun Joe" as good as they list it to be online?
    For sure tell me which you're using too! (Forgive me if you already noted it in here. I'm doing this thru my cell so it's hard to go back n read everything when I've already started typing)
    Really, really like the idea of thick foam clinging to my car in driveway!!! That sounds like it would work out best for me, using the mitts I got here too. Plus, not to sound like a #####, but I do have some physical instabilities that inhibit me from putting out alot of effort.

Back to the drawing board on my sites. Also, when I was showing them my huge "AutoGeek" Detail Bag full of gear, they gave me the run down on what I should use and what I should NOT use! Had a Blackfire Leather Conditioner in there and they said their products are good to go, so that aligns with what you were saying about which Soap, n Booster to use!

I honestly wish to thank you guys for helping me find my way, and your kind remarks too. Means more than ya know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
    Ok Gents. Here's what happened yesterday. Went by the shop of the guys doing my PPF n Coating (Btw its gonna be CQuartz, not Crystal Serum) and spoke to them both as they were cleaning n refinishing a set of AMG Wheels.

Told them I was posting inquiries about one of the Hose Type Foam units which they both nixed right away. They said it would be in my best interest to invest in a true "Pressure Washer" since the difference between the psi a hose puts out compared to a PW is MONUMENTAL!
    Therefore, it now appears I'll be rolling w one of these units you guys are talking about instead of the one used off my garden hose! So now I'll have to look into PWs which I can connect to one of these units you guys use. Please send me a couple suggestions on a PW - Is the "Sun Joe" as good as they list it to be online?
    For sure tell me which you're using too! (Forgive me if you already noted it in here. I'm doing this thru my cell so it's hard to go back n read everything when I've already started typing)
    Really, really like the idea of thick foam clinging to my car in driveway!!! That sounds like it would work out best for me, using the mitts I got here too. Plus, not to sound like a #####, but I do have some physical instabilities that inhibit me from putting out alot of effort.

Back to the drawing board on my sites. Also, when I was showing them my huge "AutoGeek" Detail Bag full of gear, they gave me the run down on what I should use and what I should NOT use! Had a Blackfire Leather Conditioner in there and they said their products are good to go, so that aligns with what you were saying about which Soap, n Booster to use!

I honestly wish to thank you guys for helping me find my way, and your kind remarks too. Means more than ya know!
    I just got the SunJoe SPX 4000 and I love it. The next purchase will be a foam cannon.

6. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a SunJoe SPX3000, and really like it. I swapped out some of the fittings for quick-connects, and it makes using it much easier. I bought one f the knock-off foam cannons, changed the standard (1.25mm) orifice for the smaller (1.1mm) one, and got noticeably better foam from it. If I planned on using this for more than vehicles, I probably would have gone with a gas (Honda motor/triplex pump) unit. If you want to go top of the line electric, take a look at Kranzle. Too much money for me, but guys that have them seem to love them.

As far as soap.....lots of good choices out there. I use either Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam or McKees Extreme Foam. For decent foam at a more reasonable price point, Meguiars Gold Class is a good, locally available shampoo.

8. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely take a look at those you mentioned and may come back for some further details on the settings etc. Isnt there a Foam Cannon / Gun that you can change the amount of foam disbursed? Not gonna do a gas one, not good for me plus read their psi may be way too high and damage paint. I think I read stay below 2300. No?

Did a full wash today and used my brand new MetroVac Master Blaster Revolution which is INSANE! Anyone w one knows how awesome it is. Anyone who doesnt should seriously save and wait for a killer deal here (or elsewhere) Also used the Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner for first time too and wrote a LONG review w pics of everything in the New Product Section under its name. Worth every dollar!!
    This stuff is unbelievable and a must buy.
    Speaking of that, do you guys used the same foam on wheels too, or hit em w something else? Also, this is a serious Newbie question....With the Power Washers, what do you do AFTER spraying down the whole car w foam- do you unscrew the Foam sprayer attachment and then use the water wand thing to spray it all off? Yeah, perhaps I better do some reading on these things. My thought was you screw the Foam Gun (filled w soap) onto the sprayer and then remove that piece afterward? Also, not to be a d**** but I've never liked Chemical Guys stuff. Overmarketed hype IMHO.. So I'll take a look at those others listed above. Thought Blackfire n their concentrated stuff was the bomb?

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the same about CG, but I think their soaps are good....really like Honeydew. That being said, use what you like and like what you use. Some people foam, let dwell, and then rinse, followed up by a two-bucket wash. I pressure rinse, foam, let dwell, rinse clean. Rather than the two-bucket method, I re-foam and attack with multiple wash mitts, at least 4 and sometimes 6. Does it mean more laundry?...yup. I figure that as soon as I touch that paint, I'm risking damage, so that's my mitigation strategy. I'm sure others will chime in with their method(s).

Foam cannons fitted with standard quick-disconnects make it super simple (even I can do it) to swap between the cannon and the various nozzles. As far as wheels, once I got them clean, I coated with McKees Wheel Coating. The clean up with soap and water ever since.

11. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Gunny Fitz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm selling my AG Foam Gun for $50 shipped (lower 48 - PayPal only)... I literally used it one time this season before i got a PW.

Let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyGC View Post
    I'm selling my AG Foam Gun for $50 shipped (lower 48 - PayPal only)... I literally used it one time this season before i got a PW.

Let me know!
    Not allowed to sell your products here.

Trades are ok.

See the "Samples" post in the Off Topic section of the forum.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

We all have our Brand Favorites and I was NOT attacking CG whatsoever. In fact I own some. Even added IMHO too. When I get one of these units I'll try ALL the soaps and choose which is best. Thx!

What I dont understand is why the word "dwell" needs use so often when sit on means just as much. How often does one let the foamed up soap Sit On the car before either using nice mitts or power washing it off?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast