autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SIO2 spray sealant help

BudgetPlan1 Thank you!

I am looking Gyeon Can Coat as my front runner simply because they spell out what it is and state sio2 content %. That said there has to be competitors that are very similar but my dumb A$$ is struggling to find and compare them. Do you know of others like Can Coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek user "The Guz" likes CanCoat where appropriate, as do others.

I believe one Autopia user actually got a year out if it, maintaining only by washing with Gyeon Bathe+ (SiO2 infused wash soap)

CanCoat is neat stuff, quick and easy to apply, good performance.

Offhand, I can't think if anything else like CanCoat.

3. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfenne View Post
    I did read that but marketing is marketing.

Do you know what the product
    sio2 percentage is?
    Speaking of Marketing...

IMO:
    -All it took to create a new “buzz” in the
    detailing community was a somewhat
    innovative (AFAIC: shrewd; duplicitous)
    labeling change-up.

-This change-up is an attempt at convincing
    folks that—all of a sudden—there is a distinct
    disconnect between: “Ceramic; Quartz; Ceramic
    Quartz; Nano-Ceramic; etc.”...aaaand SiO2 ?!?!

I’ve yet to be convinced.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the love of God my heads gonna explode!...lol I have been searching and researching with an effort not to become a product chemist or expert. I am just an old school average Joe who bought a new vehicle with prepped naked paint, trim and glass. I would love to enter into the world of coating technology for my daily driver. That said I am not looking to stock my garage with a ton of products designed for multiple surfaces. I would like find a very versatile product that can be used on many different exterior surfaces and I realize durability may not be the same on all surfaces from said product. It would still be better than wax in my mind.

I want a sio2 coating product that can be sprayed on any vehicle exterior dry surface / applicator pad and applied like a wax to paint, glass, plastic, wheels, moldings/trim . Is that asking to much?...lol I have been looking at Gyeon Can Coat but there has to other products in this catagory that are true SIO2 spray sealants.

These manufacturers do not make it easy to compare ingredients and product capabilities and application. Whats to hide??? Sure would eliminate the frustration and confusion. Maybe some one should come up with a cross reference chart for these coating products to show product grade, surface material compatibility, type application...etc, etc. Any way I want to say THANK YOU for everyone who responds and contributes there knowledge, experience and wisdom for all in all the posts on the forum daily.
    I'm a big fan of CanCoat. I like that it is pretty versatile and that it has some coating like characteristics. I have primarily used it for paint but I have seen others use it on wheels, glass and trim. I think it is a great option for someone looking to get into coatings.

Maintain it with Gyeon Cure which can also be used on every single surface and you will be quite content.

I polished my mom's daily driver with Gyeon Primer Polish. Let it sit for 24 hours and gave it a light prep wipe. Followed up with a coat of CanCoat. That was 7 months ago and CanCoat has been doing quite well these past few months. I use Cure on it once every 2 months with CarPro Ech20 at 1:20 in between washes as a drying aid. I am in Southern California where the sun is plenty and the rain is not. But at 7 months this combination is doing quite well. Left some impressive gloss.

Thank you Pro 4x!

Seems right in line with my needs. Do you know what the sio2 percentage is? I think Can Coat claims 10% for comparison.
    I found this old post stating the SiO2 of CanCoat is closer to 30%

Silica Content

Silica spray sealants contain much less. For example I believe Reload claims less than 5%. As Budget mentioned it is becoming quite the norm for people to be using these silica spray sealants as stand alone forms of protection. The downside is that they are not long lasting forms of protection. The upside is that they are easy to use and can be used often. Sort of like a spray wax.

BudgetPlan1 Thank you!

I am looking Gyeon Can Coat as my front runner simply because they spell out what it is and state sio2 content %. That said there has to be competitors that are very similar but my dumb A$$ is struggling to find and compare them. Do you know of others like Can Coat?
    CanCoat is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment as a stand alone in this type of category. It sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for based on your original post.

You can kind of add Gloss Coat to this as well. I used it on paint and trim and it did ok. Can be used on all surfaces but it is not a sprayable coating. It's not recommended for the front glass as the abrasion from wiper blades will remove it. Gloss Coat is a hybrid coating consisting of SiO2/SiC (silicon carbide) CanCoat has more aggressive water behavior than Gloss Coat.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you "The Guz"!

Always good to hear and see others first hand experiences. Car looks great also! I have know doubt Gyeon Can Coat is a fantastic product and an excellent choice to fit my needs. By default I will purchase and kudos to Gyeon for recognizing a mass consumer need and filling that gap. Hard to believe other companies have not followed suit with there own versions of this high quality and super flexible usability. I will also o with Gyeon Cure for maintenance.

Maybe someone will develop a cross reference chart for the sio2 family of coatings.

Thanks again to all for there help.

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Can Coat too in what you want. And to a new car use it on the trim will make them hold up great. Then on the windows with no wipers. The Gyeon Primer would get you some extra longevity and a finishing polish at the same time.

There is products as Can Coat but not sold on AGO. You have Polish Angel with their Cosmic Spritz which contains sio2 and tio2 and some other goodies. Their High Gloss with the ratio of more tio2 for the gloss. Don't think it's up in Can Coat procentage but not far away from it.

Gyeon Wet Coat is really simple product to maintain Can Coat after a wash. I have used it as a stand alone lsp this winter. And if you have a PW and foamcannon Gyeon Bathe+ ads also protection. Then as car soap Bathe essence is a great one to clean and not leaving anything behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Speaking of Marketing...

IMO:
    -All it took to create a new “buzz” in the
    detailing community was a somewhat
    innovative (AFAIC: shrewd; duplicitous)
    labeling change-up.

-This change-up is an attempt at convincing
    folks that—all of a sudden—there is a distinct
    disconnect between: “Ceramic; Quartz; Ceramic
    Quartz; Nano-Ceramic; etc.”...aaaand SiO2 ?!?!

I’ve yet to be convinced.

Bob
    You and me both.

We have a, genuine, silica/water based product. Cost price probably $10 per litre (that’s our manufactured cost, no brand prifit, no retailer profit- so probably only 10-20% of the cost you guys would pay). It has a tiny amount of silica in it, it only needs a tiny amount! Cost grounds alone make me very sceptical about other products on the market. Those claiming silica contents will immediately raise a flag to me.

In function, I can get 6 months out of a polymer based product with a few resins and waxes to boost. Put into a cream where I have more scope and I can get you a year and that’s without resorting to having to use a dedicated maintenance wash. So I am left asking just why we even care about silica as a thing.

A further bit of anecdote is that I deal with a lot of detailing brand owners. Whilst not always the case, most are not big organisations with their own knowledgeable r&d people. Most are guys who know little more than your average joe about chemicals. Yet somehow they have miracle products and have the next big thing that no one has done before. Hmmm.

What I might suppose is that, at least in some cases, the end user/consumer is not getting what they think. I might even suppose that some brand owners are not even selling what they think! I might suppose also that the end user is increasingly blinded by marketeers who simply have no idea what they are talking about, that the internet user focuses more on buzz words than real performance and that the brands are almost forced to play along because the end user isn’t interested if the product tech is 30 years old.

I suspect that, whilst products have certainly improved over the years, this has been driven by evolutionary improvement of well known chemistries and an increase in brand competition. Silica/ceramic/nano in your economical range- yeah right.

12. Likes Finick, DetailZeus, RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you around again PiPUK!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I'd stick with CanCoat; it'll last longer.
    What leads you to this conclusion? Have you seen a comparison with other spray on ceramic boosters (like Britemax ReMax) that can also be used stand alone??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Good to see you around again PiPUK!!!
    Thanks! Just popping my head in to get a feel for any new trends!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast