autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I take care of new car leather interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Its called profit
    edit: Some older leather do need attention, thus these leather products will help.

Yeah, but the OP was talking about a brand new car, and right away was encouraged to "maintain his investment" by buying a leather kit for it. Wouldn't a damp towel be all that's needed for a new car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Just keep it clean. Most new leather has a clear coating that will protect it for years. If you don't have window tint then you may want to use a protectant with some UV protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
    Yeah, but the OP was talking about a brand new car, and right away was encouraged to "maintain his investment" by buying a leather kit for it. Wouldn't a damp towel be all that's needed for a new car?
    Read the first two sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Modern car paints have clearcoat. While it's not actually a coating per say, just a layer of clear paint, it is supposed to provide protection from the sun. Therefor, many people outside of the world of car care will argue that there's no need to wax a clear coated vehicle. That the clear coat provides enough protection. Now who on this forum agrees with that?

The same logic should apply to leather. There needs to be some form of protection physically applied to the surface after certain periods of time in order to protect the layer that is supposed to protect the leather. As well as be cleaned with a solution that contains actual cleaning ability in order to break down and lift away dirt, grime,etc... imagine cleaning a dirty car with just water. Scratches and swirls aside, you'll do more spreading of dirt and grime than lifting from the paint.

Conditioning coated leather may be the most controversial part of leather care. But how does leather crack? By basically drying out. I've seen 2 year old King Ranch leather(newer model/coated) crack. So if coated leather still cracks the same as uncoated leather, then obviously there still needs to be some form of moisturization added to the leather in order keep it from cracking. Conditioners are designed to do exactly that. If the coated leather really allowed no penetration of conditioners, then you would just have a mess of product after trying to apply it. I've conditioned several cars with uncared for coated leather that seem to soak the conditioner right in.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

4. Thanks ncgolfguy thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=LittleKing24;1510546] I've conditioned several cars with uncared for coated leather that seem to soak the conditioner right in.

Maybe the coating is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with LittleKing24. I've always thought the same thing and find it somewhat irritating when I see people go on about only needing to wipedown your leather with a damp towel...

Just think about this for example: If you had a set of white vinyl patio furniture, which had to deal with even minimal weather, but did have the normL dust accumulation, etc... How good [or rather how bad] would it look within about a year or 2 if all you ever used to clean it was a measly damp towel? I bet it'd have a nasty yellow tinge look to it from the dirt and dust never being properly cleaned off of it.

Damp towel? Yea right, who seriously cleans anything effectively with just a damp towel... I'd like to see them try that on white leather interior.

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek has a 20% free shipping offer now. I just ordered the new Mckee's 37 leather shampoo/coat kit to try. I hope I like it. I never believed in using oils on coated leather but the hype about this seems to be high right now so I'm willing to take a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know how you like it. I have a C7 Stingray with red leather and so far I have never put anything on it to clean or condition it, but have debating if I should.

Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know how you like it. I have a C7 Stingray with red leather and so far I have never put anything on it to clean or condition it, but have debating if I should.
    My car is only 3 months old now so my seats were still new. I liked the smell that was in there before better than what was left by the product. But it might go away after a few days. The cleaner was pretty nice, foams a lot and dries fast. No shine left behind. The uv coat was a little harder to wipe away, smells like plastic sealant and the shine it left behind went away after a little while. Just had to dry. The seats feel softer now but also a little slippery, very little. I think it's just some product leftover that will be removed with clothing. I hope this helps keep the seats matte and without cracks. Black leather usually ages so fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a C7 Stingray with red leather
    and so far I have never put anything
    on it to clean or condition it, but have
    debating if I should.
    Please: No "conditioners".

It's: "Clean and Protect"
    The below kit will provide both
    elements of this process:

Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Ink Away Ink Remover, ink lifter, leather cleaner, leather protection

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Please: No "conditioners".

It's: "Clean and Protect"
    The below kit will provide both
    elements of this process:

Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Ink Away Ink Remover, ink lifter, leather cleaner, leather protection

Bob
    Which other products fall in line with "protect" the same way the Leather Masters does?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast