autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Makita PO5000C? - stroke size in feee spin mode

Does anyone know what the stoke size of the new Makita PO5000C is while in free spin mode? I checked their web site and it does not indicate if there is any difference when in direct drive or free spin mode.

thanks
    ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita PO5000C? - stroke size in feee spin mode

There isn't any difference but it doesn't matter.

I've been using the Makita BO6040, their first dual action machine since pretty much the first day it came out back in 2002 or so. There are a couple of things I've found. Less is more when it comes to product - particularly with the really good ones like Jescar and Menzerna. I start in forced rotation mode, then without wiping the product off, make a pass over the top in random orbital mode. This makes the product come off the panel better and results in a slightly better finish, for me at least.

You can switch to random orbit while the machine off but still moving but you can't go from random to forced with the machine moving. In fact, though they don't mention this in the manual, it's a good idea when switching from random to forced rotation to turn the pad against the rotation gently until the gears engage, that keeps them from clashing together when you start the machine and increases the time between services significantly.

This would be my, "If I had to pick just one machine." machine. I'd miss my rotary but I could still be pretty effective.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Has your 6040 been reliable? Have you had to make any repairs?

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Has your 6040 been reliable? Have you had to make any repairs?

ScottH

I'd give you a qualified yes to that question. I don't think Makita had any idea how hard I'd run that machine. It does a couple of hours almost every day under serious load - I push down pretty hard on it.

Even with that, I usually get pretty near a year out of one before I have to send it in for a service. I always have spares of machines I rely on so if one's in the shop it's not a problem. The BO6040 has a six inch pad so it has to work harder than the PO5000C will have to work because the PO5000C has a five inch pad. The increased rpms will, I think, along with the increase in pressure per area more than make up for the difference in terms of efficiency.

I'd expect the PO5000C to be more durable because it also has a more powerful motor and it looks like it has more robust gears. We'll see soon enough.

RSW