autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Car cleaning gifts, help

Hello Auto Geek Online forum,

This seems like the best place for me to come to get the best gift ideas for my father this year. In about 2 months he will be turning 55 and I am wanting to get him something that he can use to clean his new (new to him) 2013 Range Rover Sport. Every weekend he's out there with some cleaning products and spends a good 3-4 hours fully cleaning out his Range and to be honest he loves every second of it. So it terms of gift ideas, it's made it pretty easy. Well easy-ish. This is where you guys come in, I need some top of the range cleaning products that will leave his car shining and squeaky clean. Maybe a new buffer and any other cleaning gadgets you guys use these days.

With cleaning products, I know that they will always get used and that if he likes the new products I get him compared to his old products then it helps him out in the long run. If there is any information about my fathers Range Rover that you guys need please comment below and I will get back to you ASAP. Really looking forward to speaking with you all and seeing what's on the market.

Thanks

Just an example image, I don't live with him to take a picture.
    Car cleaning gifts, help-range-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car cleaning gifts, help

That is a nice car and it has a lot of paint to clean!. I would recommend at complete kit, with polisher, polishes, pads and good microfiber towels. A good beginner kit would be the Griot 6 inch orbital. There is one for $189 that has some polish from Meguiars that is easy to use. The Griot machine is easy a great tool and there are a ton of videos on how to use it.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

What a good son!!!

Kind hard to say what he might need. If we knew the specific products he was using we might be able to suggest better options.

If it's white like the photo, maybe a good tar remover like CarPros TarX.

A good safe wheel cleaner and some good brushes to go along with it. Or maybe just a good dilutable APC that could be used as his light duty wheel and tire cleaner, bug pretreat, and diluted down for interior cleaning.

Or if you think he would use a rinseless/waterless wash, it could be used for the same as above for light cleaning just about anywhere.

Or would he prefer something in RTU form?

A couple of good drying towels would always be nice, or some Gold Plush Jrs for detail sprays, spray waxes, and wax and polish removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some Griot's Garage PFM towels - Definitely the window PFMs Griots Garage PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel, Set of 4, and a pair of the 16x16 regular PFMs Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Towel, Set of 2 come in handy for drying with an aid or whatever else you want to use them for.

For wheel care, I'd recommend a boars hair brush like this one: Boar's Hair Wheel Brush I gave one to a friend of mine as a thank you for some help and he's mentioned multiple times since how much better cleaning wheels is now. I've got the speedmaster ones as well, but am just not a fan of them.

How about a clay substitute (so many options there)?

Mantilgh mentioned a tar remover, you could get an iron/fallout remover also since white shows the rust stains so easily. Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover or McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover dissolves corrosive iron particles so your paint is smooth and glossy

Last, if you were thinking of a polisher- Griot's 6" is a great option, it's just deciding how far you want to go as far as getting the machine or sifting through all the kits available. I'd suggest getting the Griot's 5 inch conversion kit Griots Garage 5 Inch Orbital Conversion Kit so you get the nice vented backing plate and some pads to play with. Or if you find a kit that has the plain 5" backing plate included, give a call when you go to order to see if you can upgrade to the vented.

Pair that with a nice all in one like HD speed or similar to keep learning to use a machine simple, unless you think he'd be interested in going all in on the multi step process.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend a gift certificate.......a large one

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to have a read through everything and check out all the links then I will get back to you all!

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaudio View Post
    Hello Auto Geek Online forum,

This seems like the best place for me to come to get the best gift ideas for my father this year. In about 2 months he will be turning 55 and I am wanting to get him something that he can use to clean his new (new to him) 2013 Range Rover Sport. Every weekend he's out there with some cleaning products and spends a good 3-4 hours fully cleaning out his Range and to be honest he loves every second of it. So it terms of gift ideas, it's made it pretty easy. Well easy-ish. This is where you guys come in, I need some top of the range cleaning products that will leave his car shining and squeaky clean. Maybe a new buffer and any other cleaning gadgets you guys use these days.

With cleaning products, I know that they will always get used and that if he likes the new products I get him compared to his old products then it helps him out in the long run. If there is any information about my fathers Range Rover that you guys need please comment below and I will get back to you ASAP. Really looking forward to speaking with you all and seeing what's on the market.

Thanks

Just an example image, I don't live with him to take a picture.
    Car cleaning gifts, help-range-jpg
    156 megs or some nice microfiber towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Gg6 depends on how much money you want to spend. The skies the limit when it comes to gifts. kits are your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

A nice rinse less wash kit.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I bought, as a gift, an Optimum No rinse kit for a friend up north to wash in the garage during the winter months. Optimum ONR, 2 buckets, Grit Guards, wash mitt, WW MF towels etc from AG.

They LOVED it and quickly adopted it as their regular wash routine because it was so simple. Bear in mind this person was not a Geek by any standards and barely washed their car. They now do a wash about every 2 weeks and actually enjoys having it clean most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast