autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads New & Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    I thought everyone was moving to thinner pads lately? Did i miss something here. I thought thicker didn't work your polish as hard.
    Thick pads may not correct as quick on flat surfaces with a free spinning DA, but personally I feel thicker pads are much better at providing a smoother user experience. Plus, the free spinning polishers (both standard and long-throw) on the market today are so powerful and the abrasive technology of compounds and polishes are so incredible, that the additional rotation and correction capability of a super thin pad isn't all that necessary. Personally, unless I'm using the PC7424xp and I need a thinner pad to help maximize rotation, I actually prefer a bit thicker pad simply for the added comfort and ability to help maintain pad rotation on convex surfaces. My favorite pads right now are the Buff and Shine Uro-tec Yellow & uro-cell Orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not the right place for this.... but speaking of forced, any clue what happened to the FLEX XCE?

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head (and there are probably others) the Bosch 1250DEVS has a forced rotation mode, as does on of the Makita BO series polishers, The Bosch 1250DEVS has been reviewed by the Junkmanm and can be either a free rotation or a forced rotation polisher depending on the position of the mode lever. The Makita is similat, but I don't know of any reviews of it in a car detailing context.

As far as I know, the backing plates on either of these is 6", only.

Before people come out jumping up and down that these are inteneded for wood working, note that the PC 7424 is as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned the Makita BO6040 (now its the BO6050) since before Flex ever introduced theirs to the US market. It is a beast of a machine too. It is 6" backing pad only and switchable between forced rotation and free spinning DA. (you must turn off the polisher to switch between modes). I think that the forced rotation is in the opposite direction of the FLEX.

Post Thanks / Like

The hdo's pads aren't even think compared to the boss longthrow pads, but the long throws spin better with thicker pads hence the inner flex pad

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone report about these who have used the old LC hydro pads? In comparison is the new Grey the old orange? Is the new Orange the old Blue in terms of aggression? Looking for information before I make a big purchase. I use to only use the old hybrid pads and want more info before moving forward. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I've owned the Makita BO6040 (now its the BO6050) since before Flex ever introduced theirs to the US market. It is a beast of a machine too. It is 6" backing pad only and switchable between forced rotation and free spinning DA. (you must turn off the polisher to switch between modes). I think that the forced rotation is in the opposite direction of the FLEX.
    The BO6040 as you know spins counter clockwise, the BO6050 spins clockwise - the way it should - and the PO5000C which is really good. better than both, spins counter clockwise...

The Flex spins counter clockwise and the Festool spins clockwise.

I would expect the grey foam on the new Makita to make having to cut first with a rotary a lot less frequent. My typical heavy correction is rotary to remove the scratch I think should be removed, leaving the ones I think are too deep followed by the Makita (now) PO5000C to remove the swirl marks.

Mike has the pads and the Makita, I hope he does a test.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!! I just ordered and tried this morning the blue foamed wool pads on my Flex 3401 on a heavily swirled and trashed black Ford Expedition this morning. Combined with Menzerna HCC 400 it was absolutely PHENOMINAL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Is it a dual action though with a decent throw?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Is it a dual action though with a decent throw?

The BO6040 is discontinued and the BO6050 is a dual action, dual mode sander. Both work well but neither is as good as the PO5000C - even though the PO5000C spins counter clockwise in forced rotation mode - pretty much the only mode I run it in.

The throw on the PO5000C is more than enough to randomize the pattern when combined with the basic movement of the machine over the paint. Because it has forced rotation and 790 RPMS it will do significant correction in a reasonable amount of time.

My typical job used to require a first pass with a rotary using something like a Lake Country foamed wool pad and Menzerna 400 followed by a pass to remove swirls with the BO6040 or BO6050 with Jescar final polish then seal or wax. The PO5000C has cut the number of times I've needed the rotary significantly.

RSW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast