autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Jescar Correcting Compound and Micro Finishing Polish - Top Shelf Abrasive Technology

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post

Mike,

You don't happen to have a side-by-side pic of the paint after the compound step vs. after the polishing step?
    These are pictures after JUST compounding

Here's the results of JUST the compound...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here's the results lit up by the flash from my camera...

And here's the results of JUST the compound using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light...

I was impressed. The results looked so good I could have skipped the polishing step and went straight to wax. But I didn't because I wanted and needed a real-world opinion on both the compound and the polish. It's important if you want to be the real deal to then be the real deal.

If you don't; in your estimation how would you quantify the measure of improvement of the correction after the compound and then to what extent did the polish improve the compounding results?

Was it something like, the compound got you 95% and the polish kicked in another 5-7%?
    I'd say the compound took the paint to about 95% of visible potential. The polish would have taken the paint to 99% of total potential.

What I say and write about when working with such high quality compounds available on the market today is that the results you see look REALLY GOOD - BUT - if you're using any type of cutting pad the potential for marring caused by the pad and the process, (the process is the sum total of factors), may NOT be visible without either chemically stripping the paint or until after time has gone.

This is especially true for dark colored cars but keep in mind if marring is happening and visible on dark colored cars it's happening on light colored cars it's just the human eye cannot easily see it.

So what I say, write and practice is to follow an aggressive compounding step wit a less aggressive polishing step no matter how great the results look after the compounding step to insure the final results are professional quality.

On this Camaro, did the combo get you to a show car level of correction, production level, etc.?
    Show car level results.... easily....

Either way, love that color and wow, that's one lucky lady (the daughter)!
    I'm sure this car will be back in the future for more saving. That is unless she trades it in and buys something different but even then I'll be the one "saving" the appearance.

Good questions...

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jescar Correcting Compound and Micro Finishing Polish - Top Shelf Abrasive Technology

Mike,

Thank for you for further elaborating.

Did you perform any sort of chemical stripping between the compound and polish processes? If so, what did you use?

Once you're deemed the "expert" in the family, you become the catch-all for all that stuff. I know the feeling all too well. Problem is, I know a little about too much stuff lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    These are pictures after JUST compounding

Here's the results of JUST the compound...

I'd say the compound took the paint to about 95% of visible potential. The polish would have taken the paint to 99% of total potential.

What I say and write about when working with such high quality compounds available on the market today is that the results you see look REALLY GOOD - BUT - if you're using any type of cutting pad the potential for marring caused by the pad and the process, (the process is the sum total of factors), may NOT be visible without either chemically stripping the paint or until after time has gone.

This is especially true for dark colored cars but keep in mind if marring is happening and visible on dark colored cars it's happening on light colored cars it's just the human eye cannot easily see it.

So what I say, write and practice is to follow an aggressive compounding step wit a less aggressive polishing step no matter how great the results look after the compounding step to insure the final results are professional quality.

Show car level results.... easily....

I'm sure this car will be back in the future for more saving. That is unless she trades it in and buys something different but even then I'll be the one "saving" the appearance.

Good questions...

Hi mike, Do you think using super finish 3800 after using this jescar finishing polish would be a waste of time or could it bring out that extra 1 percent?

Post Thanks / Like

While I realize that having high quality options is the greatest benefit to this hobby/business, I question the justification to spending $40 for the jescar product versus $25 for a bottle of Meguiars M105 (which I am still on the learning curve highway for a newbie)...that is unless I can tell the difference after use. Then again if tool and pads also matter then that just increases the complexity of the equation.

To sum it up, if I am using the PC7424XP, orange or white thin pro pad with M105, and white or black thin pro pad with M205 (which only in my limited use experience love its long work time and finishing ability):

Will I notice a difference between the more expensive products like Jescar, and Meguiars product? Do you end up using less product with the more expensive products therefore justifying the higher price?

If Jescar products will produce a subjective higher quality finish then I am on board and want to try it.

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

robwoodgto: With the PC you're slightly limited. In your case I don't think it's worth it.

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I debated about asking the same question on the value for the money.

I made an assumption that if you have experience with an existing product(s) line, then try the cheaper 8oz bottles. I'm not sure if AG sells them. If not, then they can be bought direct from Jescar Finishing for half the price of the quart bottles.

If you catch a 25%-off sale, then that knocks the price down to ~$30/quart bottle. Granted, that also knocks the Megs price down too.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 dusts to much

Post Thanks / Like

I debated about asking the same question on the value for the money.

I made an assumption that if you have experience with an existing product(s) line, then try the cheaper 8oz bottles. I'm not sure if AG sells them. If not, then they can be bought direct from Jescar Finishing for half the price of the quart bottles.

If you catch a 25%-off sale, then that knocks the price down to ~$30/quart bottle. Granted, that also knocks the Megs price down too.
    Objective here is all about using the best product given the scenario and tools available. If that means spending 60% more for a product that produces a better result then I am on board.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    M105 dusts to much
    The few times that I have used it...and it has only been a few I have found that reducing my working area and after 4-6 passes lightly misting the the pad or panel I can get a couple additional passes and a great looking end result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Objective here is all about using the best product given the scenario and tools available. If that means spending 60% more for a product that produces a better result then I am on board.

The few times that I have used it...and it has only been a few I have found that reducing my working area and after 4-6 passes lightly misting the the pad or panel I can get a couple additional passes and a great looking end result.
    i dont disagree that it produces great results i just dont like the dust, you end up cleaning it out of crevices for weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerma and Rupes pads don't mix well. I wonder if the same will apply to Jescar and Rupes pads? If the Rupes guys approve Jescar for their pads I'm in. If not I'll keep using B&S and LC Force pads with my Rupes polishers.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast