autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car finish problem

I have a 1967 Ford Fairlane with 52k miles on it, all original and always garage kept. I went several years without taking the car out of storage and when i did it had some
    dust & grime on it. The brakes on the car had locked up so I had it towed to a local garage for repairs. It stayed there several days during which it rained on it several times. Whenever I picked up the car, I noticed there were spots all over the car, appearing like whiteish odd shapes. I have tried several things to remove the stains, but to no avail. I fear the stains may be acid rain. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car finish problem

Yeah, that's not acid rain. Do you have any pictures? Is it possible that the shop hosed the car off with hard water or that it got sprayed by sprinklers while it was there?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's possible, I don't know. I don't have pics, but will take some to get to you. Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, pictures would help narrow it down, could be a lot of things. In the meantime, what color is the car and what have you tried on it?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ssrguy View Post

I have a 1967 Ford Fairlane with 52k miles on it, all original and always garage kept.

When you say,

all original

Do you mean it has the original SINGLE STAGE PAINT?

IF so, then I think I have pictures of what you're seeing in this thread from about 6 years ago...

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

Type III Water Spots
    Type III Water Spots are spots that look faded or dull and are found primarily found on single stage paints after a water source lands on and then pools on the paint and is usually left to dwell on the surface for some measure of time before it evaporates or is wiped-off the surface.

Modern clear coat paints tend to be harder and impermeable, that is non-porous, so liquids don't penetrated easily and thus stain spots tend to be topical, that is only affect the very upper surface and are easier and safer to remove with a compound or polish.

Older single stage paints tend to be soft and permeable, or porous, it's common for liquids to penetrate into the paint and stain the paint below the surface. Removing stains out of single stage paints can be risky because in order to remove the stains you have to abrade the paint and if the stains penetrated deep then you risk removing too much in an effort to try to remove them completely.

Does it look anything like the above?

Cool car by the way.