autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review and How-to: McKee's 37 All in One Leather Lotion

Review and How-to: McKee's 37 All in One Leather Lotion

McKee's 37 All in One Leather Lotion

If I had five bucks for every time someone showed me cracked, worn leather seats and asked if there was a product that would fix them I'd have around $5000.00 - And "yes" that works out to 1000 people. The point being is that leather problems are common as cars get older and see normal wear-n-tear.

The answer however isn't to wait until you see visible wear but to be pro-active right from the get-go and take the sage advice given to me years ago from a friend and Paint Instructor for PPG and that is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

The point being, if you have a vehicle with leather interior, RIGHT NOW while the leather is in good shape find a product you like and start using it on a regular basis to clean, condition and protect it.

It's really that simple. That and being careful anyways when driving your vehicle not to cause any damage.

Here's a brand new product for people that don't want to become a leather expert. Or for people that don't really like doing interior detailing. This single product will do three things in one-step and besides doing these three things it's fast and easy and that's what most people want even though they don't even know this is what they want.

Nothing wrong with a multi-step approach and in fact that's the approach I use for one of our cars. It's a matter of finding the approach that's right for you and from my experience in the car detailing world for 30+ years now, what I know is most people tend to be lazy when it comes to their car's interior and the easier you can make it, the faster you can make it and the simpler you can make it the better. And if it's simple, fast and easy then the chances are a lot higher that a person will actually use the product and maintain their car's interior.

McKee's 37 All in One Leather Lotion - What is it?
    It's what's called an All-in-One product, that is it is a stand alone product that will do the three things you need done to your vehicle's leather interior in a single step. This product is based upon mild cleaners together with synthetic lanolin oils to clean, condition and protect leather surfaces as well as being completely safe on vinyl and plastic surfaces. Generally speaking, anything safe enough for leather is also safe for vinyl and plastic. This works to your advantage as most leather car seats are only leather in the front, that is the face of the seats, where you sit and where you rest your back. The sides and backs for the seats will be made from matching vinyl. And of course, much of the interior of modern cars are made from plastic so with this single product, a few microfiber applicator pads and a handful of microfiber towels you clean, condition and protect your car's interior.

The key to success with this product is to have a few clean, soft microfiber applicator pads like you see me using in the pictures to apply he product and work it over the surface as well as a few clean microfiber towels to give the various surfaces a final wipe to remove any excess product and leave a dry, rich looking finish.

How To Directions

Step 1: Vacuum interior first. Whenever you're doing interior detailing the first thing you want to do is vacuum the interior to remove loose dirt.

Step 2: Work on a cool surface in the shade.

Step 3: Pour some McKee's 37 All-in-One Leather Lotion onto a clean microfiber applicator pad.

Step 4: Using your microfiber applicator pad, massage the McKee's 37 All-in-One Leather Lotion over any leather, vinyl or plastic surface.

Technique Tip
    For perforated leather, that is leather surfaces with tiny holes in it, here's a tip. Pour some McKee's 37 All-in-One Leather Lotion directly onto your microfiber applicator pad. Then BEFORE applying the lotion to the perforated panels on your car's seats, first take your finger and spread and press the lotion INTO the applicator pad. By doing this you won't fill all the tiny holes with lotion but instead will keep the lotion on the surface where you want it.

After working the product into the applicator pad then massage the product over the perforated panels just like you would a smooth surface.

As you work around the car and see dirt and grime accumulating on your applicator pad, switch to a clean applicator pad.

Step 5: Wipe any excess product using a clean microfiber towel.

On Autogeek.com

McKee's 37 All-in-One LeatherLotion - 16 ounce

McKee's 37 All-in-One Leather Lotion - 1 gallon

Microfiber Applicator pads - 6 Pack

Blue Universal Microfiber Towels

Mike Phillips

Re: Review and How-to: McKee's 37 All in One Leather Lotion

***Bump***

This product is now on the "What's New" page on Autogeek.com

Post Thanks / Like

With coated leather, how much of oil and conditioners actually penetrate to the leather?

I have two cars with leather interior right now and both are coated to the point where its hard to tell which parts are leather and which are synthetic. Would a product like this be of any value on interiors like that?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

With coated leather, how much of oil and conditioners actually penetrate to the leather?

I have two cars with leather interior right now and both are coated to the point where its hard to tell which parts are leather and which are synthetic. Would a product like this be of any value on interiors like that?
    All your point were considered when this product was formulated, so the answer to your question is yes.

It cleans, conditions and protects.

When it comes to leather, you want to do "something" versus nothing and to be honest and I think people in general have a hard time wrapping their brains around "coated" leather. The big picture is to find something you like and use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of this product being beneficial to non leather surfaces as well ("completely safe on vinyl and plastic"). I sometimes have a hard time determining what part of this interior is leather or vinyl or ?. With the leather products i use they seem to be effective for leather only. I end up using 2 different products for leather and then what i can determine as non-leather. I like this product for its versatility and wider material application. I can go nuts with leather, vinyl etc. now with 1 product saving a little time. And get a more uniform appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike.

I've been cleaning them and following up with McKee 37 Interior Surface Protectant, but didn't bother with any leather specific, conditioner type products as I didn't think it would be of any use due to the coatings. I may have to give this a try.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

What's the smell (fragrance?) like??