autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrome Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome Polish

What are you fellow motorcycle enthusiasts using to clean and protect your chrome?

Spent a couple of hours last night detailing my shiny parts while pondering one of life's great mysteries: Namely "Is there an easier way than this to keep this thing clean?"

Post Thanks / Like
    No there isn't an easier way! I have tried many chrome polishes. A lot depends on what your polishing. My bike has very old chrome parts and new ones. For newer or just to shine up, use the least abrasive you can find to prevent micromarring, I like Wenol blue for this (beat out simichrome and the new Maas). For tough grit or even small rust, I usually use NeverDull and dip it in some polish thta is handy. Believe it or not, a polish I just happen to buy because I saw my mech who makes $50k choppers use it on my bike is: Plain old Turtle Wax chrome polish, $1.80 at Wally World. It's abrasive, but works pretty darn good.
    I have ClearKote's metal which is a liquid on order, heard godo things and being liquid could make things easier.
    I want to try: teh English Metal (not sure, but some name like this), Meg's Metal Polysh (worth a try I figure), and anymore I come across. For the record, the Maas reminds me of a cross between Simi and Wenol blue, so for me it's a love/hate, but their extra bottle of protector you put on after if you want, yuck, so hard to get off, never will use it again! I plan on trying Klasse AIO and some paint sealant as well, have some PB wheel wax coming. I'll keep tryin until I come up with a winning combo or product.
    One thing that really helps is, I use a simple car QD when I remember after riding and it sur eis easier to use (and faster!) right away than waiting after those darn bugs have dried on! Also, I don't run a windshield, but if oyu do, heard the 303 protectant is about the best there.
    To be noted, i know there's lots of debats on the HD forum as to waxing on chrome works or not due to heat, but the Pig Snot Biker wax REALLY shines the chrome up, at least for awhile.
    If you come across anything, let us know...PLEASE!

Post Thanks / Like
    On my low rider I use BRASSO.....

Post Thanks / Like
    On my high polished wheels I prefer Simichrome, I had the exact opposite results using Wenol (orange tube) and Maas. I also find Mothers Aluminum polish to be nice and easy on the wallet. Pinnacle made a chrome wad from its bike line (since discontinued) that rocked on wheels, exhaust, and metal parts.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Simichrome

YES!! very good for spokes

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard FLITZ is par-non and incrdible. I gotta try it some time I have tried tonnes.

I recently used the Mothers Chrome Polish and did a short review, im sure it would be AWESOME on bikes on the fact that its soooooooOOOOOooooOOoOoo easy to remove which is great for all that chrome and tight spots/cracks. also super easy to apply, rub, let haze, remove. its cheap too. at least give it a shot.

Mothers Chrome Polish
    Awesome stuff for sure. Its fairly liquidy and goes on super easy, you rub it on then let it haze (go on to next wheel, then come back) but what really got me is how easy it came off...friggin amazing, NO effort what-so-ever just one wipe and its completly off doesnt leave black residue either...so sweet! Seems to protect/shine well but I have never used a chome specific polish before, I have used aluminum mag and chrome polish which is a mess. Deff like it and will use it again! imp2: :thumb:
    94 Mustang GT

sn95forums.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Mother's polish, no marring in my experience. Only the muffler is chrome on my bike though. I don't know how the HD guys can deal w/ acres of chrome. It's a pain is the arse. Not a chrome fan as you can tell, too much work and short durability (sounds a little like carnauba).

Post Thanks / Like
    Killr, try the Wenol Blue sometime! My sister (does car shows with her '68 Camaro) turned me onto it a few years ago, ironically i am trying to turn her onto clay, and all my new goodies! Also, anyone want to try the Maas protector (goes on afetr polish) let me know, I hate using it.
    Mothers was just mediocre for me.
    I'm looking forward to trying the Clearkote for metal myself, I'll try when I get and post some results.
    Man, can we convince Pinnacle to reissue the chrome polish? Petition!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    On my low rider I use BRASSO.....
    Like Bill, I too use Brasso, it's a great product, good for cleaning bugs and scuff marks but not too abraisive. The only problem is that my HD Ultra Classic has the acres of chrome referenced above and about a million and one tight spots to get into and around. Brasso is a liquid that you apply with a terry pad (or similar), let dry to a haze and then buff off with a MF.

Four hours to completely do all the chrome and the wheels is not unusual, then I can leave home without a cloud in sight only to run into rain within 15 minutes of home.

Anyone getting good results with the wadding type products such as Never-Dull? I figure it would save a lot of time not having to tip the can all the time but don't know if the stuff produces acceptable results.
    Last edited by BritOn2wheels; 06-15-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Magic. Billet ,but i though it was a little abbrasive..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast