autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question About Seat Protection on a Sportbike

A buddy of mine is selling his sportbike and he did a pretty decent job detailing it by hand. He washed and clayed it, then used Megs UC/UP for the painted areas, and Mothers Chrome Polish for the shiney bits. When it came to his seat, he merely cleaned it w/ an APC. My question is: how would one dress it; more importantly, protect it w/o making it slippery? What are some good products that can handle the task? I'm thinking UV protection more than anything.

I might have something in my collection that he can use that could do the job, but I wouldn't know if it's the right product for this application. So if any of you bikers/bike detailers have any experience in this area, please share.

I'm sorry I don't have pics to post here. All I have is his ad that has a few low lit pics: 2008 Suzuki Gsx-R750, Aliso Veijo CA - 109206142 - Cycletrader.com.

Not up to our detailing pics standards.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question About Seat Protection on a Sportbike

I do motorcycles all the time if the seat is leather I use SONAX Leather Foam and if its not leather I use Auto Finesse Revive its not slippery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I do motorcycles all the time if the seat is leather I use SONAX Leather Foam and if its not leather I use Auto Finesse Revive its not slippery.
    I checked with him, and it's not leather. Some sort of vinyl I guess. I'm not familiar w/ Auto Finesse. A quick Google seach says it's a UK brand. What's the durability like?

Any other possible candidates for the seat?
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use on my Harley vinyl seat. It cleans, shines and protects and is not slippery.

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good ol Meguires. So many products in their line up. I didn't even know about this one. Might be worth a try. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

The seat on the Gixxer is vinyl based. It will outlive the bike with simple soap and water or a quick detailer. I've owned every generation of Gixxer since 1988 and never had any issues with the seat. It's the fairings and tank that needs the TLC. You can use 303 with a good wipe if you must.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    The seat on the Gixxer is vinyl based. It will outlive the bike with simple soap and water or a quick detailer. I've owned every generation of Gixxer since 1988 and never had any issues with the seat. It's the fairings and tank that needs the TLC. You can use 303 with a good wipe if you must.
    Good to know. From the pics he has, the seat looks fine with just the APC he applied. It is practically brand new even though it's 5 years old. Only 2,300 mi on it! I was only curious because I thought he could provide some additional protection on it. I've never detailed a bike before and a lot of the same attributes we may like about a clean leather seat on a car doesn't apply here. You definitely don't want to slide across this seat.

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    This is what I use on my Harley vinyl seat. It cleans, shines and protects and is not slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I wonder if these 2 products are the same thing, but in different packages. When you read the description, they say practically the same thing.

Thanks for all the good tips. Hopefully he can get a buyer soon. He's got a wedding to pay for coming up soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Covered Leather?

For leather seats/saddles on motorcycles, are they generally "covered leather" like most seats in modern autos?