autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Davidson Road King - extensive detail with EXO

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Probably not going to be any sun shots tonight, eh?

Harley's Vivid Black is the softest most miserable-to-finish paint I've ever worked on, I've owned 4. Just when you think you've got near-perfection you wheel it out in the sun or hit it with LED or Xenon and want to beat your head against the wall. I'd be interested in your process and products. That tank is looking pretty primo!

Good move removing the center console, makes life much easier.

You don't have to be big and strong to ride or move those beasts around. It's all about balance, technique and practice.

TL
    No sun tonight..... sadly

Products were a combination of Menz 2500 and M205 (some areas seemed to react differently. Then finished with Menz 4500. I was trying to hold out to get my Rupes LHR75 to do this job but wound up having to use my 7424 with a 3" backing plate. (My Rupes come in tomorrow!!!) LC Hydrotech Orange for 2500 & 205 and Red for 4500. I don't want to say this paint was easy to correct, but knowing it was a very soft paint definitely helped when getting into it. The black helmet that's in one of the pictures was actually the hardest thing to correct.

For lighting I have 8 500w halogens in the ceiling along with the florescents. I also have various halogen work lights to use for side lighting. Along with 2 Brinkman dual xenon's and one Brinkman dual LED.

Maybe i'm just weak, I can barely stand it straight up without a big struggle which would make me look ridiculous at stop lights.

Just FYI!!! I will have another Harley within the next few weeks. This one will be a 1 of ~200 limited edition Fat Boy

Owner of Dream Detail LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Transmitted from my WiFi-enabled telegraph.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks stunning. I so want one of these!

Post Thanks / Like
    Reassembled and EXO applied. Going to wash and do a test/demonstration panel on a Mustang then ill be back to [have someone else] move this outside for some pictures.

Transmitted from my WiFi-enabled telegraph.

Post Thanks / Like

Final pictures video coming soon.
    Didn't make it home in time for outside shots

Post Thanks / Like

So what did you use on that Barbie car (last pic first post)?

I've done a lot of Harley's prefer not too anymore. In fact I sold my last bike and am okay with that closing that chapter for the third time in my life. You did a great job on it.

I do have a recommendation; drape a sheet or tarp on a cloths line as a back drop for your pictures in the garage. You can even drape one in the foreground and around the wheels. The background gets too busy for such beautiful work you did on that bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    So what did you use on that Barbie car (last pic first post)?

I've done a lot of Harley's prefer not too anymore. In fact I sold my last bike and am okay with that closing that chapter for the third time in my life. You did a great job on it.

I do have a recommendation; drape a sheet or tarp on a cloths line as a back drop for your pictures in the garage. You can even drape one in the foreground and around the wheels. The background gets too busy for such beautiful work you did on that bike.
    I prefer not to release information on the top secret products used on the Barbie car.

Really enjoyed this, it was fairly clean to begin with though

Know what you mean by the background, the reason the garage has been so crazy the past few months is because of moving and parents separating. This week is the week we're going to clear all of the junk out.

Thanks for the compliments!!

Post Thanks / Like

Video finished!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4_Ea8eLgA]Harley Davidson Road King with EXO - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

morning bump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrKent View Post
    Products were a combination of Menz 2500 and M205 (some areas seemed to react differently. Then finished with Menz 4500. I was trying to hold out to get my Rupes LHR75 to do this job but wound up having to use my 7424 with a 3" backing plate. (My Rupes come in tomorrow!!!) LC Hydrotech Orange for 2500 & 205 and Red for 4500. I don't want to say this paint was easy to correct, but knowing it was a very soft paint definitely helped when getting into it.
    There's a definite difference in paint on tin vs fiberglass. I'm betting you found the fiberglass side covers easy to correct and finish. The tin on baggers is formed and finished at the York, PA plant, the fiberglass comes out of Tomahawk, WI. Obviously different processes. I couldn't get 205 to finish without micromarring no how, no way. On my dresser there's lots of fiberglass bags and front fairing... easy correction. The tank had me pulling my hair out!

I picked up a technique Nick Chapman posted on MOL quite a while ago for use on soft black that is difficult to finish. He tried everything in his considerable arsenal and just for grins tried a yellow cutting pad with 205 and got mirror results. Who woulda thunk it? I've since started thinking backwards with extremely soft finishes... finishing polish with a cutting pad or M105 with a finishing pad. Surprisingly good results.

Wiping off polish or wax residue was problematic because of the marring imparted by even the softest plushest microfibers. I now spritz liberally with M34 and use my softest waffle weaves to remove residue from the softest finishes with good results. And Opti Coat seems to toughen things up to keep future swirling to a minimum.

OC also works primo on chrome exhausts and other super-hot areas where conventional waxes, sealants and other coatings burn off the first time they get warmed up. 6 months later it's still on my exhausts and even makes melted boot marks a wipe-off affair.

Quote Originally Posted by TrKent View Post
    Maybe i'm just weak, I can barely stand it straight up without a big struggle which would make me look ridiculous at stop lights.
    Like I sezzed, technique and practice. The AMA has a demonstration where a little bitty 110 pound girl shows you how to pick up a heavy Touring bike laying on it's side. And moving anything on two wheels around when you're standing beside it can be challenging. I always throw a leg over and move my bikes around the garage while sitting on 'em and I've been doing this for almost 40 years. It only takes dropping one once to convince you. Don't ask how I know this

TL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast