autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat on a motorcycle....

I've had good results Opti-Coating Motorcycles, Mostly Harleys.
    Paint, chrome, rims, exhaust, etc.

Has anyone every had a bad experience or problem from this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat on a motorcycle....

If its applied correctly you shouldn't have any problems I wasn't happy with the results on my pipes only due to the heat they carry .Other then that I use opti coat on most surfaces .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    If its applied correctly you shouldn't have any problems I wasn't happy with the results on my pipes only due to the heat they carry .Other then that I use opti coat on most surfaces .
    How did it look on the pipes?

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a problem with heat. Were they drag
    Pipes or did they have heat shields?

Post Thanks / Like

I applied Opti-Guard on a Kawasaki Vulkan 1800 last week. I applied it to everything that I could get to. The owner of the bike really wanted me to apply it after doing a 2 step paint correction and metal polishing, even though I told him I wouldn't really have time to do such a tedious job. Well I made time to do it on the agreement that it would be experimental and he would provide me with feedback on how the bike looks going forward.

Any problems that might arise, I'll try to remember to post here. He ran the bike for about 20 minutes before leaving the shop with it (trailered) and the only thing I saw change was the Opti-Guard on the cylinder head fins appeared to have burned off leaving it a dull black instead of shiny like it was before the bike had been run.

The bike had sat about 18 hours since applying the Opti-Guard at that point. Seemed to be fine on the pipes while it was sitting there running for 20 minutes.

I'll have to give him a call and see if he rode it over the weekend and find out how it's holding up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I applied Opti-Guard on a Kawasaki Vulkan 1800 last week. I applied it to everything that I could get to. The owner of the bike really wanted me to apply it after doing a 2 step paint correction and metal polishing, even though I told him I wouldn't really have time to do such a tedious job. Well I made time to do it on the agreement that it would be experimental and he would provide me with feedback on how the bike looks going forward.

Any problems that might arise, I'll try to remember to post here. He ran the bike for about 20 minutes before leaving the shop with it (trailered) and the only thing I saw change was the Opti-Guard on the cylinder head fins appeared to have burned off leaving it a dull black instead of shiny like it was before the bike had been run.

The bike had sat about 18 hours since applying the Opti-Guard at that point. Seemed to be fine on the pipes while it was sitting there running for 20 minutes.

I'll have to give him a call and see if he rode it over the weekend and find out how it's holding up.
    Thanks, were the fins black originally?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGlide View Post
    Thanks, were the fins black originally?
    Yes they were painted black and were a bit on the flat black side to begin with. I applied the Opti-Guard between the fins with a Q-Tip type detailing apparatus and they were nice and shiny until the bike was run for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

This customer called me the other day and told me that he has ridden the bike about for about 8 hours total so far and nothing is getting funky with the Opti-Guard. Even the pipes still look awesome he said!!

He went on to tell me how extremely happy he is with the job done on the bike. He said that it keeps looking better and better as the days go on. I told him that as the Opti-Guard fully cures it will tend to get a bit glossier.

This guy is a pro photographer and said for the first time since owning this bike, he has to use special filters to photograph the bike because of how bright the sun is reflecting off of it now. Another extremely impressed customer!!! That's the name of the game!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    I wasn't happy with the results on my pipes only due to the heat they carry .Other then that I use opti coat on most surfaces .
    You're kidding me! I found OC to be the only thing that doesn't burn off the pipes immediately. Had it on the exhaust on all 3 bikes and it's still there 6 months later. Makes cleaning the exhaist a wash-off affair vs all the polishing I used to do.

TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast