autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neglected Paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Neglected Paint

Hi Y'all,

I just bought a nice 1999 H-D Road King off of eBay. The bike runs fine but the finish has been neglected. The tank is in fair shape but the fenders and side pods need help. They feel like sandpaper when I run my hand over them. This is an nice red and black bike and I want to bring back the glory. What are my best solutions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neglected Paint

If the paint is that rough, your probably going to have to buff it out with a buffer and polish. a picture would help with the advice. My experience with bikes makes me think you might have to remove the fenders to get a through job on them. You might be able to do the tank without removing it.
    Last edited by belcherm58; 08-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan on taking the fenders off this winter and leaving the tank on. I think the tank will respond to a good cleaner and wax ... but the fenders need some paint taken off and a new finish put on. I just don't know what to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you own a machine buffer? I ask this so I can tell you what to use.
    Last edited by belcherm58; 08-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget to try claying. Several guys/gals have had great success using meguires red clay in this same scenario.
    "The only thing that hurts more than paying an income tax is not having to pay an income tax." --Thomas Robert Dewar

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't ... but I can rent one I'm sure. For your answer assume I do not own one .. good ole elbow grease. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

This will require a lot of elbow grease. Get a claybar kit with lubricant. Wash the painted surfaces and dry and then follow the instructions on the claybar kit. Mothers and Meguiars both make a kit that has all the materials in one box. Then get a Polishing Pal which I will give you the link in this reply. The Polishing pal will at least give you the best chance for some paint correction by hand. It comes with several pads. Start with the orange colored pad and start buffing with Meguairs #81 Hand Polish. I will give you links to all of the materials here so you know what to look for. Autogeek has all of the items. I feel the Polishing Pal is a must to achieve any worthy results with the least amount of elbow pain.

Meguiars #81 Hand Polish Body Shop Professional Hand Polish enhances shine as a final step before wax application.
    Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal is an ergonomically shaped urethane handle that holds specially designed foam pads using hooks & loops.
    Meguiars #81 Hand Polish Body Shop Professional Hand Polish enhances shine as a final step before wax application.
    Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, meguiars detailing clay,

You can probably find most of this stuff locally except the Polishing Pal. I would suggest ordering from Autogeek. They are great people and will back everything up with great service and great prices. You can also use the discount code "detailcity" in the promotion code at checkout to receive a 10% discount. If you have a good cordless drill let me know and I will change a few suggestions. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add a little mention. You will see a lot of stuff following the previous suggestions with try this product or that product. The items I mentioned are just a good way for me to give you the general idea of the process and plan of action. Everyone on this forum has the best intentions and their own opinions. Not that any are wrong or right. Just healthy exchanging of ideas. You get the picture. Good luck and
    let me know about that drill.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello there,

as stated above, if it is feeling like sandpaper, it will need a clay. I dont know if that constitutes to going to an aggressive clay right away. You don't want any marring if you are doing this by hand.

Clay bar kits can be had locally. I have pulled enormous amounts of contaminants off of cars just using the claymagic kit from autozone. If you do do this by hand, look into the polishing pal and a good light-medium polish that can be worked by hand. Just remember motorcycle paint is usually soft and doesnt require alot of pressure. The meguiars hand polish linked above should help you out.

Needs by hand:

Claymagic claybar kit
    A couple of microfibers. Vroom from Target if you want to get them locally.
    Polishin' Pal
    White pads for polishin pal.
    Grey pads if you like waxing with it. (I prefer foam applicators)
    Meguiars #81 hand polish

By porter cable:

Backing plate or EDGE adapter
    4" or 6" pads (white)
    Im going with XMT 360 here. Although it is an all-in-one product that cleans paint, removes swirls, and leaves a layer of protection, it works great for removing swirls.. You work it in untill it dissapears. I figured this would help you out polishing harley fenders.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

The polishing pal link I provided above comes with 2 white,2 red, 2 orange pads. Being that he only has a gas tank and two fenders. If he has a cordless drill he could buy the lake country drill adapter and a small hook and loop backing plate and use the pads from the polishing pal to buff it without buying or renting a buffer. I use these to buff the nose of my truck with great success. A two speed cordless drill at low speed would do the trick without much worry of burning the paint.
    Last edited by belcherm58; 08-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast