autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ATV Plastic Scratch Removal

I'm an newbie to this forum. Not a die-hard detail freak, but wanting to do better than I have in the past. Will ask auto questions later, but for this thread, wanting to ask about ATV plastics scratch reduction (similar to dirt bike plastics).
    I ride an 06 Polaris Sportsman in camo, so not detail work needed...Scratches are hidden in the matt camo pattern. BUT, my son rides an 07 Suzuki KingQuad in what use-to-be gloss black. A couple of hunting seasons blazing trails thru the thick S. Louisiana woods/swamps has made a mess of the once nice, shiny plastic.
    Looking for some ideas on making the plastic look reasonably nice again (at least until next hunting season!). Have google'd and read many ideas for plastic restoration. None seem to be the holy grail. I'm just looking to remove the surface scratches and swirils, not the deep gouges (but I want the deeper gouges to be less noticeable). Working up thru the various grits of sandpaper as well as numerous commercial "plastic restorers" are the norm on the web. One of the most popular final coats is Future acrylic floor finish!

What would be your advice to reduce scratches/swirls and bring back some shine?
    Note: I do not own a PC or equivalent (maybe later this year!).
    Note2: From my research, these ATV/dirtbike soft, flexible plastics offer more of a challenge for satisfactory corrections.

THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ATV Plastic Scratch Removal

Well I can't speak for camo but...

Before my friend sold his atv we tried to restore the white plastics.They were full of scratches and just dingy looking.We wet sanded with a very light grit sandpaper(maybe 4000 grit) and poorboys pro polish with a PC.Came out looking brand new

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx Jeremy. I don't want to do do anything with the camo...scratches are nearly invisible anyway... which is what I was intending when purchasing the camo.
    I have been thinking that sandpaper, then polish is the only real answer to the gloss black plastic on the son's ride. After doing some google research, I found that most folks have come to the same conclusion. There are a few vendors who sell kits to do this....at extremely high prices.
    If anybody has any ideas other than starting at sandpaper and working up thru a quality polish, let me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Jeremy; 05-10-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Planning to place an order for some stiff tonight. Will include the polish and applicators.