autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Harley-Davidson wheel cleaning

Spokes on the rear wheel on my motorcycle are cadmium plated which is a dull gray in color. I help help in protection of these spokes from deterioration. What can I do to protect the spokes? What 'sealers' would work well? Any suggetion are appreciated/ By the way, these spokes by their very nature will not shine.
    Last edited by OneBlackFly; 03-01-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Harley-Davidson wheel cleaning

Try using Honda wheels with WG paint sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneBlackFly View Post
    Spokes on the rear wheel on my morotrcycle are cadmium plated which is a dull gray in color. I help help in protection of these spokes from deterioration. What can I do to protect the spokes? What 'sealers' would work well? Any suggetion are appreciated/ By the way, these spokes by their very nature will not shine.
    After riding Harleys for over 30 years i only have one thing to say about harleys spokes and chrome it all sucks,I tried every combo never dull,Metal polish mothers ,All types of waxes sealers ,clears ETC ETC only way i could be a little happy was going with stainless steel spokes,Don't waste your money on chrome they will pit and rust,at least stainless you can clean and look alot better,After giving up on spokes and getting factory mags they also were crap.Just my 2 cents
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Check Out The New Brp Can Am Spyder On Their Web Site--pretty Cool(might Not Appeal To You Diehards Though).

Post Thanks / Like

You could try Luster Lace. Found at most cycle outlets. It is alot of work and I won't guarantee it will help your cadium issues. Send them to Buchanon in Ca. for re-spoke to stainless. They are on the web and are very reputable. Maintain the stainless with luster lace.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 o the stainless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
    You could try Luster Lace. Found at most cycle outlets. It is alot of work and I won't guarantee it will help your cadium issues. Send them to Buchanon in Ca. for re-spoke to stainless. They are on the web and are very reputable. Maintain the stainless with luster lace.
    +2 on the SS. You aren't gonna be able to keep cadmium plating looking like it came out of the showroom. Can't be done. Polish until your fingers fall off and you'll just wear the cad off.

My bikes are for riding, not garage jewelry, 25 - 30k/year living in a winter climate. I keep 'em cleaner than most but wheels are everyone's Achille's heel. Even on cast wheels brake dust pits the aluminum, road grime and belt residue cling and bond if you don't keep on 'em. Only way to keep 'em nice is to not ride 'em. Not an option in my view. Your mileage may vary.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking a safe wheel cleaner like P21S (motorcycle line is called S100) and some Poorboys Wheel Glaze might be a nice lineup also.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From everything I've read both here and elsewhere, the best I can expect is they will never look ggod. The trick is to clean them and then seal them with a sealant. Other than that, just ride them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneBlackFly View Post
    From everything I've read both here and elsewhere, the best I can expect is they will never look ggod. The trick is to clean them and then seal them with a sealant. Other than that, just ride them!
    P21S polishing soap was recommended to me for another application. I picked up the S100 equivilent at an H-D shop today and gave it a real quick spot test on a cast wheel. Wow! As good a result as polishing black crap with a dedicated polish with a lot less work. I'm guessing it's milder as well. You might want to give it a try on your wheels and spokes to see what you'll see.

Even if it doesn't produce great results there I'm guessing there's a ton of places on the bike it'll work great.

TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast