autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Too much of a mess to know if I should be concerned - glad I found this though

I'm glad I decided to dig in a bit and do a deeper cleaning. A lot of parts have come off the bike, and so far, the bike is in great shape.

Last night I pulled off the cover on the coolant pump and found this:

Here is the coolant pump.

Too much of a mess to know if I should be concerned - glad I found this though-img_1652-jpg

Behind this and underneath the bike I found an oily mess.

Too much of a mess to know if I should be concerned - glad I found this though-img_1647-jpg

I have a theory. I'd be surprised if I have a leak. I've never seen one drop of oil beneath the bike and it get's ridden quite a bit. I've had issues with the oil in the past and I keep a pretty close eye on it. Immediately above this area is my oil filter. If it's not removed carefully, oil can come out and run directly into the area above. I nearly have the bike stripped and ready for cleaning and after I do the wheels, this will be the first area I hit. I want to get the bike up on the lift to get really good access to it. I'll start by carefully wiping it down. I can't flood the area with water or a degreaser as these are electrical connections. Once I get the area cleaned up, I'll have a better idea of whether I have a leak or a careless service guy.

As much as I hate to find something like this, I'd rather find it and address it than not know it's there.

2. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too much of a mess to know if I should be concerned - glad I found this though

That is not a careless service guy and it's most likely not a leak. It's inevitable when changing the oil filter I don't care how careful you try to be.

When I change my filter I always punch two holes in the end of it to allow it to drain into a tin foil trough before unscrewing it. Then I shove paper towels beneath the filter and push them as far under the filter as possible. Even with all of those precautions I still end up with the mess you show.

4. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too much of a mess to know if I should be concerned - glad I found this though

I agree with 2black1s. It’s just kind of a shitty design and there will always be some oil left over.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not changed the oil myself, but have done enough homework to know the situation. I wasn't super concerned. 2Black's advice to dry and drain it by drilling it out is the best strategy I've seen.

I appreciate you guys chimin' in. I'm a worrier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz View Post
    I've not changed the oil myself, but have done enough homework to know the situation. I wasn't super concerned. 2Black's advice to dry and drain it by drilling it out is the best strategy I've seen.

I appreciate you guys chimin' in. I'm a worrier.
    For clarification, I don't "drill it out". The exact process I do is as follows...

- Start to unscrew the filter to break it loose but not far enough to break the seal
    - Fashion a tin foil trough to direct the oil to a drain pan
    - With a long pointed punch and a hammer, punch through the end of the filter at 6 o'clock (for drainage) and 12 o'clock (for venting)
    - Allow to drain into disposable tin foil trough and drain pan
    - Remove tin foil trough
    - Insert paper towels under filter - with a screwdriver or similar tool, push the towels as far under the filter and up to the mounting flange as possible
    - Unscrew the filter
    - Watch in disbelief as oil runs and drips onto the motor mount, frame, and wiring even after all the precautions
    - Install new filter
    - Fill a spray gun with mineral spirits and spray down the area to clean it up
    - Wonder why Harley hasn't addressed this yet
    - Swear that you're going to look into a filter relocation kit
    - Repeat it all the next time around

8. Likes Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I considered DK Custom's relocation kit. I used their extension kit on my tour pack. Raises it up about an inch and sets it back 3". Makes a bit more room for two pierogi stuffed Polocks.

10. Likes PaulMys, mhkbenson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    For clarification, I don't "drill it out". The exact process I do is as follows...

- Start to unscrew the filter to break it loose but not far enough to break the seal
    - Fashion a tin foil trough to direct the oil to a drain pan
    - With a long pointed punch and a hammer, punch through the end of the filter at 6 o'clock (for drainage) and 12 o'clock (for venting)
    - Allow to drain into disposable tin foil trough and drain pan
    - Remove tin foil trough
    - Insert paper towels under filter - with a screwdriver or similar tool, push the towels as far under the filter and up to the mounting flange as possible
    - Unscrew the filter
    - Watch in disbelief as oil runs and drips onto the motor mount, frame, and wiring even after all the precautions
    - Install new filter
    - Fill a spray gun with mineral spirits and spray down the area to clean it up
    - Wonder why Harley hasn't addressed this yet
    - Swear that you're going to look into a filter relocation kit
    - Repeat it all the next time around
    sorry to necro an old post, but this one gave me a chuckle, i ended up relocating the filter to just below the left passenger foot board, did about 4 oil changes with it before I sold it....it was worth it...also did the permanent oil filter....i have a '23 HD now...and guess where the filter is located?