autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Electra Glide need advise

New Electra Glide need advise

I just upgraded to a new 2020 Harley and want to seal it before I get to far from “clean”.

There is so much information here it gets a wee bit overwhelming so I thought I would ask here in case there was some new or outstanding products or techniques that I should be looking into.

I have not detailed in many years and have been looking through as much as I can here but I’m looking to find the best way to coat or seal the bike before I get it too far gone that I have to do for correction.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Phillips

Re: New Electra Glide need advise

First - because this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum13 View Post

I just upgraded to a new 2020 Harley and want to seal it before I get to far from “clean”.

There is so much information here it gets a wee bit overwhelming so I thought I would ask here in case there was some new or outstanding products or techniques that I should be looking into.

There is a ton of info on this forum - that's what makes it both powerful and overwhelming.

There's not a ton of paint on any motorcycle to detail. But what there is - you do want to take care of it. There's a million ways to skin this cat but my first question,

Are you doing all your work by hand?

Or do you won a polisher?

Even a small polisher for small areas like the fenders, gas tank, fairing, etc.

3. Thanks Aluminum13 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking on a DA if I could not get by with doing it by hand. If I get it early enough I may not need much correction but down the road it may be needed. I ride a lot and want to make sure I do it right from the beginning as this bloody thing is an expensive skoot!

Mike Phillips

I was thinking on a DA if I could not get by with doing it by hand.
    I don't polish many motorcycles, mostly because it doesn't interest me. Also because it's a pain in the butt.

If I get it early enough I may not need much correction but down the road it may be needed.
    You're doing the right thing, that is being PRO-ACTIVE and getting some protection on the bike NOW while it's new and in great shape.

I ride a lot and want to make sure I do it right from the beginning as this bloody thing is an expensive skoot!

Here's what I would do, and just did to a truck this last weekend. Get yourself a tube of the new Dr. Beasley's Z1 and a bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

Hand apply the Z1 and then wipe off immediately using new, clean un-contaminated microfiber towels. This will clean the paint surface and leave it ready to coat. It actually coats it on it's own too.

Then mist on some of the PBL Surface coating and wipe it off immediately.

The paint on your bike will be slippery and super glossy. You'll avoid micro-marring it and moving forward, use the PBL OFTEN. It's easy to use often because it's fast and easy. It's a really nice product.

See my article here,

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that is a good start for me. I am bring it home today and hope to work on it ASAP if my azz will stay out of the saddle! It is a silver blue two tone so better than my last bike that was vivid black!

Mike Phillips

Hang tight,

Just took some pictures, going to write an brand new article for something I worked on this weekend.

Mike Phillips

Here you go...

Simple By Hand System to Clean, Polish and Ceramic Coat your Motorcycle

FWIW

And my brother-in-law owns a totally bitchen motorcycle, not sure the make or model but it's all dressed out.

Just to put the above simple system to the full real-world test, I'll have it bring it down and I'll detail it using the products I've recommended.

Enjoy you new bike - stay safe my friend.

Mike Phillips

The above article from start to finish took me one hour to create.

Who knows how many people it will help into the future?

Thanks for joining our forum, like I said previously, there's a million ways to skin this cat.

If you want to make it super simple, get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step and hand apply it.

One and done and super super easy to use.

Best of all - you can use the BF One Step on all your vehicles. You will want to get a dual action polisher though.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

personally after having done my Black Road King numerous times...i always reverted to polishing by hand. unfortunately, i never did a coating. being the type of vehicle i enjoyed breaking down to clean, i always preferred polishing and waxing. just had a deeper appearance when complete.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post

i always preferred polishing and waxing. just had a deeper appearance when complete.
    Nothing wrong with that...

Million ways to skin this cat for sure. AND - most waxes and sealants also leave the paint feeling slippery.

The thing about whatever it is you do leaving the paint slippery is that, at least in my mind, slippery paint will be less likely to mar. The painted surfaces on motorcycles tend to get touched more, at least the gas tank.

I have this coming in and I know it needs attention on the paint polishing side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast