autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover Safe for Sportbikes?

Basically, I'm doing a two stage paint correction on my '05 Suzuki GSXR 750, wondering if it would be safe to use Griots Garage Iron & Fallout remover? My concern is that the OEM fairings are ABS plastic and they have OEM decals on them, I just don't want this to go horribly wrong and the fairings end up getting damaged or turn hazy/yellowish.

Let me know if anyone has experience with this and whether or not it is safe for use in this specific application!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover Safe for Sportbikes?

I'll give you a little bump.

I believe you should be fine using a iron remover on your bike and it should not cause any issues with your decals.

I would just not let dry on the surface in the sun to be safe, but I have also not had any issues with letting it dry on paint or wheels. They tell you not to let them dry but I haven't seen what problems it creates.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I'll give you a little bump.

I believe you should be fine using a iron remover on your bike and it should not cause any issues with your decals.

I would just not let dry on the surface in the sun to be safe, but I have also not had any issues with letting it dry on paint or wheels. They tell you not to let them dry but I haven't seen what problems it creates.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm hesitant because when I called Griots Garage the customer service rep seemed uncertain and couldn't give me a yes/no answer. Maybe she just didn't have experience with the product or perhaps she just did not know. Either way, I've seen it used on metal without issue but was worried what it might do to the aluminum frame which is painted black from the factory as well as the OEM ABS plastic fairings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K5GSXR750 View Post
    Basically, I'm doing a two stage paint correction on my '05 Suzuki GSXR 750, wondering if it would be safe to use Griots Garage Iron & Fallout remover? My concern is that the OEM fairings are ABS plastic and they have OEM decals on them, I just don't want this to go horribly wrong and the fairings end up getting damaged or turn hazy/yellowish.

Let me know if anyone has experience with this and whether or not it is safe for use in this specific application!
    I wouldn't do it.As a bike owner just wash and machine polish everything else.Bikes have different hardware and is susceptible to discoloring those parts.Ironx is intended for paint not brake components etc.Sponge it on rather than spray in a inconspicuous spot some where first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Bikes have different hardware and is susceptible to discoloring those parts.Ironx is intended for paint not brake components etc.
    I agree, Iron-X and similar fallout removes discolor certain surfaces, even if it doesn't get a chance to dry. Seeing how bikes have a lot of nooks and crannies, any missed Iron-X will leave a mark for sure. Wash and clay bar is probably the best way to remove any stuck on fallout for a bike. I think. But that does sound tedious.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ended up not going with the Iron & Fallout remover route, seemed like too much of a risk. Just ordered Adam's AP cleaner to clean/degrease the engine cases and insides of the fairings (not before I do a test spot), then clay the entire bike and finish the two-stage paint correction, touch up some rock chips and finally drop it at the PPF installers shop for the gas tank (found a new rock chip from a ride last week) and rear passenger seat cowl to get covered. I'll probably do a write-up on the entire process, or record the entire thing and start a YouTube channel.