autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Harley Davidson Engine Cooling Fin Oxidation

Well I just got bike from Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach and my poor bike paid the price . I had to park outside and the side of the bike that got the wind off the ocean now has oxidization on what use to be polished Engine Fins. I'm now in search of something that will safely clean/polish this back. I had to do other pieces on the bike and Mothers Aluminum polish worked fine. However I worry about residue being left on the black wrinkle finish of the engine if i use it. Any tips tricks or suggestions would be great. I'm still searching. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Davidson Engine Cooling Fin Oxidation

There is always taping. I would imagine you could clean the rest of the fin pretty easily should some go over the edge. I've never had a problem on my bike getting it off again after cleaning the edges. But if you are really worried then you could take the time to tape off the fin so only the edges are showing. It just depends on how much time it would take to clean the fin afterwards compared to how much time it would take to tape it off. My guess is that cleaning would be faster than taping.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
    There is always taping. I would imagine you could clean the rest of the fin pretty easily should some go over the edge. I've never had a problem on my bike getting it off again after cleaning the edges. But if you are really worried then you could take the time to tape off the fin so only the edges are showing. It just depends on how much time it would take to clean the fin afterwards compared to how much time it would take to tape it off. My guess is that cleaning would be faster than taping.
    Good point, taping would be a SOB. Very frustrated at the moment. I've owned a few Harley's and this is the first time I've had to deal with this both on a personal and professional level. Looking for an easy fix but not looking that way. Normally we get a place with a cover of some sort, but not this time. Glad I don't live on the beach.

Post Thanks / Like

I figure polishing is going to be unavoidable. I'd assume these parts aren't anodized. And that at some point in the Bike's life, they would've eventually dulled from age-weather. That salty florida air just sped things up a bit.

About the only thing I can think of would be polish by hand with your polish of choice, then to use a mild ph neutral soap-shampoo wash and a small soft trim paintbrush to remove any residues that might be left behind in the Fins.

Now, what to do after, to keep such from re-occurring?

About the only thing that comes to my mind to stave off this issue, would be a meticulous final wipe with Carpro Eraser, then "Coat" these areas with a product like Carpro CQuartz DLX.

I believe DLX can handle the heat, said to supposedly handle up to 800F Temps.

Post Thanks / Like

Once, in my life, I detailed a Motocycle, it was a friend's in Chicago, a 1979 or '80 Dyno-Jetted and Tuned Kaw KZ-1000 LTD with the Kerker 4-1 Pipes.

I can easily grasp how a meticulous detail can turn into days, not just hours.

After I was done, he handed me the keys, but first asked, "You ever drive a bike before?" I said "Yeah, a crummy little Honda 350". He said then you know clutch, go ahead!

For the first 15 minutes I was riding the bike like a 90 year old lady, after that, it was effortless to hit 100+ on the Chicago city streets as I was just getting to 3rd gear. Bike would almost literally pull your arms out of their sockets! Never drove anything faster in my life. It surely was a freak, even in experienced rider's circles I understood. Wouldn't had surprised me of 10 sec 1/4mile times.
    (Was one reason I never bought one, I knew I'd probably eventually kill myself! LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

That's not gonna be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

How about P21s soap ?.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

How to describe "fun"? Hell, I described fun, when it took me 3 plus weeks just to detail the engine compartment of my '68 SS396 Camaro. install a new 4 row core radiator, Lovingly giving utmost care to a huge pair of chrome factory BB Valve Covers, touching up some chevy orange paint, cleaning those inner fender wells and treating them till they glowed, replacing the hoses. belts
    plug wires in their correct places, then dressing them after, cap, rotor, points, plugs, dwell and time. Rebuilt front Calipers and shoes, new Rotors, new tires, etc.

Lots of blood, and sweat and tribulations, and would I go back there again? Yep, in a heartbeat!

Funny that I found out a year after I sold that car, it possessed a 427 engine, not a 396! Somebody did a swap at some point.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just messed with it for about an hour and half today after work and had to stop as I got so pissed off. Hit it with Mothers, NeverDull and a few other metal polishes nothing doing to much. I have to be careful of over lap on the black as its textured and a pain to get stuff off of it. It just amazes me how fast they corroded. My 2008 SuperGlide didnt have a issue once in the 8 years I owned it and it went to FLA several times, this bike I just bought in June (2016 Model)less than 3k on it. I have a detail business here on the south side of Atlanta, and am very familiar with the Cquartz products from Carpro. I'll call Corey at Carpro and ask him about the heat factor for the DLX. Never even thought about applying that, thanks for putting the bug in my head about that. Sometimes it helps to have a different perspective. Being my bike Im more frustrated than normal,LOL. But again this is the first time I've encountered this and I do a fair amount of Harley's. Not sure the P21S soap with do much for the oxidation. Also kills me I watched a demo at the event on a polish they were saying was great for this and I just blew it off. LOL. Was really hoping to find something that would kick off quick, but looks like it is going to be a royal PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what you said above.

I have owned my 1996 Custom Sportser since new and live in Florida and never had that happen.

What's crazier is it's a 2016.

Wish I had answer for you. Maybe try some vinegar in a small area and see if it's mineral based.

This was the first year the put the wrinkle black and machined look on the fins on the Sporty.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast