autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi-Def Sealant vs. 10 min paint sealant...

So a little background. I'm usually working on white cars as there are (4) in our family. Switched the other year from HD Speed to 360 as it just seems to work a bitter better for my use (applied with PC). I asked about topping the 360 with Hi-def the other year and found it works well. My wife's car doesn't get nearly the care it deserves as she doesn't like washing cars. So this year in prep for winter we just 360'd the whole car and put (2) coats of the 10min paint sealant on (a day in between). She really like the easy almost no work application as do I.

Last month I bought a 2019 4runner (white of course), after bringing it home and doing a quick ONR wash I gave it a quick coat of the 10min paint sealant. Fast forward a month to my long weekend. I started off with a dawn pre soak, hand wash, iron remover, clay mitt and a final hand wash. Even after that it seemed like it barely made a dent in the sealant. I went ahead and 360'd and then a coat of the hi-def sealant.

So now I'm just wondering how much difference in longevity between to the two? After doing both cars I really appreciated the speed and ease of the 10min stuff.

Is there any benefit to layering multiple coats of either? I've seen some people use 10min as a drying aid, would that work over the hi-def?

Hopefully this isn't too long winded I'm just trying to get the most out of all the products I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi-Def Sealant vs. 10 min paint sealant...

Hi Def is a pretty impenetrable force that can last well longer than 6 months, similar to 360. I don’t have any longevity data on 10 Min, but if it went through the abuse you saw, and you love the ease, keep using that on top of your bare 360. I wouldn’t have guessed 10 Min works more than 2 months max on its own but I could be wrong and you may apply more since it’s so easy. It can also be used as a pseudo drying aid... u can’t get that convenience going traditional sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure any of this stuff is overkill, I could probably get by just fine with 360 and call it a day. But like everyone here I'm looking for the ultimate in protection for the least amount of work.

Wife's car looks outstanding with the 10min stuff over 360. I usually use the rinse free wash diluted to spray wax (banana wax) as a drying aid.
    IMG_20190920_131032 by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car. Love the IS body style did you go the NA 2.5/3.5 or the turbo route? As far as sealants I haven’t used 360 but I have been using 10 min spray sealants and here in germany it seems to last 2-3 months. Has good self cleaning abilities though IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    Beautiful car. Love the IS body style did you go the NA 2.5/3.5 or the turbo route? As far as sealants I haven’t used 360 but I have been using 10 min spray sealants and here in germany it seems to last 2-3 months. Has good self cleaning abilities though IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, it's a 2.5 turbo RWD. I'd be happy with 2-3 months for such easy application.

6. Likes Breese147 liked this post