autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    Senior Member acuRAS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    1,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Very small scale comparison test I created, here:

    Mckees Krystal Ceramic Wax vs 3 comps

  2. #42
    Member DirtyCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Funny the addiction that is detailing. Probably slight benefit to looks by adding wax on top and a coating is meant to be applied and essentially left alone.

    99% of people will not be able to “see” the difference it makes yet we have this need to “apply” something.

    For me when I hear talks of longevity it was always wierd to me. Even when not Geek level I always applied something every 4 months.... now I want killer looks/protection for 32 days....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I think that’s exactly what it is, a need to apply something. There truly is no need to apply wax over a coating at all.
    Why go to the time and expense of applying a ceramic coating, only to cover it with a less superior product? Each to their own, but it makes absolutely no sense to me. Lol

  3. #43
    Senior Member Coatingsarecrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I couldn’t find the long-winded guidance about siloxane/silane reacting as SiO2, so for now I will just assume the description on the Ecoshine can means it is a SiO2 ceramic wax.

    To further confuse myself of siloxane, Overcoat claims itself as “non-polymer” and contains siloxane.
    I thought was funny but if you google siloxane....




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I couldn’t find the long-winded guidance about
    siloxane/silane reacting as SiO2, so for now I
    will just assume the description on the Ecoshine
    can means it is a SiO2 ceramic wax.

    To further confuse myself of siloxane,
    Overcoat claims itself as “non-polymer”
    and contains siloxane
    .
    I know it’s hard not to get all caught up in
    the Marketers’ buzzwords. BUT. DON’T!!

    ***********************************

    •When I think of stuff that’s “non-polymer”,
    [ie: able to form chemical bonds, but not able
    to form the long chains that are characteristic
    of polymers]
    -I think of things like:
    1.) Elements;
    2.) Metal ores;
    3.) Native Metals (gold, platinum, tin, aluminum,
    mercury, zinc, nickel, copper, iron, *Carbon, etc.
    a.) just a few examples of (natural) in-organic
    macromolecular compounds...”non-polymers”.


    With that in mind...
    •If you consider that Silicon is:
    -an Element; and:
    -a “semi-metal”; as well as:
    -the building block of siloxanes;

    -then Overcoat’s claim that it is a “non-polymer”,
    and contains siloxane, could be taken as not
    being duplicitous, IMO.


    Note...(lest I forget):
    •An exception to the above “non-polymer” Metal
    guideline, is Graphene—it is a polymer made up
    of long carbon chains.


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  5. Likes SWETM liked this post
  6. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,828
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Here is a description of the silanes functions. This seems to be for paint coating but you can switch it to be about ceramic coating or with the use of polymers and also waxes. I would bet that the Polish Angel Invicible Primer Polish and Invicible Primer Spritz has a kind of silane in it. And the Cosmic v2 coating and now the Cosmic Spritz Spraycoat has a silane in it too. That with both SiO2 and carnuaba flakes they have in it makes it to bond harder to the paint. And is like we have discussed before I think. That it's not always what's in the bottle that gets the same on the paint. But you have a chemical reaction where you get different kind SiO2 strings on the paint when it's done. So this article is a wide description of what the silanes can do as a bonding agents.

    Silane Coupling Agents are used in Coatings-HENGDA Silane Group

    And also it's so much difference with just another chemical in the mix and what it can get on the paint when the reaction is done fully. Would it be so easy as SiO2 gets as SiO2 on the paint. We would be see all of the SiO2 products be the same from every brand. But it's not so easy and that's why you see it like SiO2 technology. And I think that if you where able to get only SiO2 in a liquid form on the paint. It would not be so great finish from it. And I'm not sure if you are able to get pure SiO2 on the paint as it reacts with the air and to the paint it self and gets something else LOL. So it needs other chemicals to get the reaction that is wanted when it gets on the paint. To get the cararictics the chemist wanted to get on the paint when it's fully cured.

  7. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Funny the addiction that is detailing. Probably slight benefit to looks by adding wax on top and a coating is meant to be applied and essentially left alone.

    99% of people will not be able to “see” the difference it makes yet we have this need to “apply” something.

    For me when I hear talks of longevity it was always wierd to me. Even when not Geek level I always applied something every 4 months.... now I want killer looks/protection for 32 days....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely disagree, I used wolfgang si02 wash on top of my coating after not using anything for 3 weeks. It looks WAY better then it would have if I left it alone. Who makes these rules about what you can do and what you cant? People who dont know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

    You may not need to top your coating protection wise but we are detailing for looks. If you want your coating to look as good or better then when you installed it you need to keep it clean and top it once in a while to refresh and improve the shine. Key word being shine.

  8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
  9. #47
    Senior Member Coatingsarecrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Completely disagree, I used wolfgang si02 wash on top of my coating after not using anything for 3 weeks. It looks WAY better then it would have if I left it alone. Who makes these rules about what you can do and what you cant? People who dont know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

    You may not need to top your coating protection wise but we are detailing for looks. If you want your coating to look as good or better then when you installed it you need to keep it clean and top it once in a while to refresh and improve the shine. Key word being shine.
    Yet 99% of people will not notice a difference. We the 1% do. I don’t think your picking up what I’m puttin down. I top my car monthly. By weekly if you count Ech20.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #48
    Senior Member acuRAS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    1,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New - McKee’s 37 Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000With that in mind...
    •If you consider that Silicon is:
    -an Element; and:
    -a “semi-metal”; as well as:
    -the building block of siloxanes;

    -then Overcoat’s claim that it is a “non-polymer”,
    and contains siloxane, could be taken as not
    being duplicitous, IMO.
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.

    Bob, do you have any opinion on the correlation these brands are making between siloxane/silane and SiO2? IGL Ecoshine for instance, claims to use siloxane/silane on the Autopia description and the tin itself states it is SiO2 and carnauba. Separate and coincidental In your opinion, or somehow related? Or just complete marketing jargon we can’t take anything away from?

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. McKee's 37 Krystal Diamond SiO2 Ceramic Wax
    By VISITOR in forum McKees 37
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2019, 08:25 PM
  2. *NEW* McKee's 37 Krystal Vision Foaming Glass Cleaner
    By Nick McKees37 in forum McKees 37
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 02:13 PM
  3. McKee's RV Sio2
    By VETLAG72 in forum McKees 37
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM
  4. McKee’s SiO2 Auto Wash - SiO2 gloss enhancers?
    By acuRAS82 in forum McKees 37
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM
  5. McKee's SIO2 Wash
    By atgonzales in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 136

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» November 2019

S M T W T F S
2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30