autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydro Blue Health and Safety Question

So I have and use Hydro Blue and love how easy it is to use. It also seems to have good longevity properties. With that said, I was thinking about the APPLICATION method and had some safety questions to throw out there.

Without getting into the science of how SiO2 based products work, my basic understanding is that they essentially fill in microscopic scratches, crevices and pours in the finish or the existing finish protection. I imagine in my mind these tiny little glass like beads settling into these spaces and leveling the surface out so that we see a shine and feel less surface friction right?

So if we are spraying this product on the surface of the vehicle and then the procedure has us slamming it with a blast of water, where tiny droplets and mist are flying all over the place, aren't those tiny glass like particles getting into our lungs and skin pours and eyes etc?

Like I said, I like the product, but I'm wondering if in 30 years, my face is going to be on one of those class action law suit infomercials like you see today for mesothelioma. The thought process is analogous to the theory that asbestos isn't really dangerous in it's solid form, but when you grind it, the tiny particles cause havoc on your body. Make sense?

And if there's anything to my concerns, and we want to continue using the SiO2 based products, should we instead consider using more of a wipe on and wipe off type product so at least all that material isn't going airborne everywhere?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydro Blue Health and Safety Question

Valid concern. But I think this also applies to a lot of detailing products. Best bet is to wear gloves and a mask covering mouth and nose. Eye protection not a bad idea either.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe dried SiO2 in the air is a bigger concern, similar to the asbestos idea. My biggest concern is therefore polishing with Essence Extreme-type products where dry dust can float around. In my mind, water mixed with SiO2 is only going to end up where the spray itself touches or where the water brings it to and lands. Therefore, as long as I don’t feel spray or water hitting my nose/mouth/skin I’m not so worried.

Do my thoughts make any sense? Not sure, it’s more of a hunch and since I’m only a hobby guy, I’m not using these products daily and right or wrong, it eases my paranoia.

I do agree it’s probably smart to wear gloves/mask, even goggles when using any of this stuff, but I’m guilty of rarely doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes we might not feel it hitting our face but it doesn't mean it's not doing so. I once applied McKee's coating using the included sprayer. Later I found a lot of dots on my glasses that came from overspray but not once during application did I think that was happening. The dots cured on the lenses and I could not remove them. Perhaps if I could be aggressive but anything like that would damage fragile glasses lenses so I lived with them. If you're working outside with Hydro Blue I'm sure some overspray will also end up on your face due to a breeze, even if you don't feel it.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Wear a mask and gloves. I use a mask for every job. Spraying a fine mist of pretty well any product we use, or creating dust/particulate while polishing/buffing off puts particles in the air that can be breathed in.