autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydro Blue Full Strength

I know the whole idea behind Hydro Blue is easy mist on and spray off as maintenance between full detailing jobs. I was just curious though if anyone has ever try applying it similar to a spray wax or detailer. In other words, has anyone ever tried hand applying the product and buffing it off full strength on a clean, dry vehicle or more as a drying aid?

I'm sure I will get the typical "why in the world would you want to do that..." replies but here's my motivation for the question. I love the idea of the easy rinse off application, but I also like to have a bottle of quick detailer and distilled water in my truck bag to combat the occasional bird bombs etc. This product is great for regular, scheduled maintenance but between washings, it's important to have a product for those unanticipated "moments" of touch up.

So if the product can be used as a quick detailer as well, when you don't have a hose available, the same product can be used on the go.

In case it matters to the answer, my maintenance routine goes something like this:

- Ceramic coating applied every 2 years
    - Monthly wash followed by Hydro Blue rinse
    - Distilled water wipe off of "bombs" between washings

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydro Blue Full Strength

I believe the Hydro magic is activated when water is introduced during the rinse. I don't believe Hydro has any cleaning agents in it so I wouldn't go that route myself. Plenty of rinseless wash solutions out there that you can mix up to do what your looking to do, most likely a better option than your straight water method

Post Thanks / Like

Since it don't contain any cleaners. I would not take the chance to use it as a QD. Get you a bottle of McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash and dilute it to QD dilution. Very economical and a great cleaner for what you would have it to. And don't leave anything behind as in protection and glossenhancers.

I have not used Hydro Blue. But every spray on rinse off products I have used and it is a couple of them. I have sprayed on just a couple of sprays and spread it out with a mf towel to get it to a great coverage and PW rinsed off. This saves a lot of product and IME also a little better longevity from them.

Some can be applyied with applying it dry and wipe it off dry. Or apply it on a wet paint and dry is what most work to be done with. I just find it so easy to use the PW to rinse these products off. So maybe try to do a little spot where you use it as a drying aid you could try. But to apply it on a dry paint as you can with HCW I would be very carefull to be doing it on something that you can correct if it goes sideways.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have some quick detailers in mind to fill that gap. It's not a big deal. I was just hoping, if at all possible, to use the same brand and family of product since it would be a perfect match of the underlying topper maintenance product. I guess any SiO2 based detailer would fit the bill. Anyone have a recommendation on an easy to use, basic SiO2 quick detailer that you've had good luck with?

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro EcH20 was designed to do exactly what your asking, its great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    CarPro EcH20 was designed to do exactly what your asking, its great
    Thanks, that does look to be a perfect option and it seems to have great reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the EcH2O!

That's what's so great with McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash. Now you have a McKees product. But with the N-914 and that it's just cleans and give you enough lubrication. And that it's not leaves anything behind as in protection and glossenhancers. Makes you able to use it on any LSP and don't interfear with it. It's not so of course if you want to be getting a little extra pop from it LOL. But then you have the EcH2O. And for ceramic coatings these is a great combo that have at hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    That's what's so great with McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash. Now you have a McKees product. But with the N-914 and that it's just cleans and give you enough lubrication. And that it's not leaves anything behind as in protection and glossenhancers. Makes you able to use it on any LSP and don't interfear with it.
    That makes a lot of sense too. One can argue that the Hydro Blue underneath the bomb has enough longevity to protect until the next monthly wash and Hydro Blue rinse, that a straight cleaner is good to go. Plus, spot applying an SiO2 detailer spray may make that one spot stand out from the rest of the vehicle, whereas, if using the straight cleaner, things would probably blend right in after about a day.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered what would happen if you use a mist on/blast off product off label like that. Nothing I've been curious enough to want to try on my own car.

At the shop we've got a car that's been out in the back lot for 8 years or so. I'll clean a spot with a 914 wipedown and try applying Hydro Blue like a typical spray wax and report back how it goes. Maybe I'll try another spot where I apply, spread, then hit it with a pump up sprayer filled with water before drying it off.

Mainly just for satisfying curiosity.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some Hydro Blue and was wondering the same thing! Next time I wash and dry my car, I'll try spraying it directly onto the fender and wiping it around to see what happens.

13. Likes SWETM, acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast