autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydro Blue Full Strength

before doing any off label usage (with Mckee's 37 products), i would e-mail/call/PM Nick and ask if it would be okay in that there won't be any issues/problems if doing so...

2. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    before doing any off label usage (with Mckee's 37 products), i would e-mail/call/PM Nick and ask if it would be okay in that there won't be any issues/problems if doing so...
    That would be like reading the directions or following a map. What would be the fun in that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    Excellent advise if you’re thinking about doing this on a personal car. I’ll be trying this on an abandoned car, so I don’t think I can make it worse. If anything, hopefully it’ll convince folks to reach for one of McKee’s other products that matches how they want to use a product for a scenario.

Side note - if anyone has anything similar they want tested, including anything on faded BMW plastic trim or on failing clear coat (been back there that long), let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Since Meguiar HCW came out, I’ve wondered whether applying Hydro Blue as a dry WOWO would at the very least lay a base coat down that could benefit the future spray and rinse applications (longevity, behavior). I believe that is exactly what happens with HCW.

Like others here, it was just a thought so far, nothing I’ve taken the time to try yet.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lessardrp View Post
    I know the whole idea behind Hydro Blue is easy mist on and spray off as maintenance between full detailing jobs. I was just curious though if anyone has ever try applying it similar to a spray wax or detailer. In other words, has anyone ever tried hand applying the product and buffing it off full strength on a clean, dry vehicle or more as a drying aid?

I'm sure I will get the typical "why in the world would you want to do that..." replies but here's my motivation for the question. I love the idea of the easy rinse off application, but I also like to have a bottle of quick detailer and distilled water in my truck bag to combat the occasional bird bombs etc. This product is great for regular, scheduled maintenance but between washings, it's important to have a product for those unanticipated "moments" of touch up.

So if the product can be used as a quick detailer as well, when you don't have a hose available, the same product can be used on the go.

In case it matters to the answer, my maintenance routine goes something like this:

- Ceramic coating applied every 2 years
    - Monthly wash followed by Hydro Blue rinse
    - Distilled water wipe off of "bombs" between washings

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    Hydro Blue is a water activated formulation with microscopic nano polymeric siloxane technology. When applied to the rinse water the tiny polymeric microns instantly attach themselves to the surface to form a hydrophobic nano coating. Applying the final rinse water solidifies the remaining micron particles and removes any unwanted contaminates left on the surface.

If you're looking for a killer quick detailer to use in between washes, check out McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    ... If anything, hopefully it’ll convince folks to reach for one of McKee’s other products that matches how they want to use a product for a scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick McKees37 View Post
    ...If you're looking for a killer quick detailer to use in between washes, check out McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray.
    Like that!

8. Likes limited0602 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, as promised. Disclaimer: This is incredibly unscientific, simply done to satisfy the curiosity of “What if?” !

Went out to the car mentioned above. Waterless washed the bottom edge of the RF door with Griot’s Brilliant Finish Rinseless at a stiff concentration (forgot to mark the bottle for what ratio). No mechanical decontamination or correction performed.

[SIDE NOTE: Another off label use - Griot’s only recommends that product as a Rinseless wash, they don’t offer dilution ratios for other uses. As a Rinseless it reminds me a lot of 914; that factor and the lower cost, especially for a silly experiment like this are why I used it in this case]

I did 2 spots:
    The back third of the door I sprayed on the Hydro Blue, spread it around with a low nap microfiber, let it sit briefly, then buffed it off with a separate towel.
    Impressions: The surface felt slightly slicker, and under inspection light seemed to have maybe lightly filled the very mild swirls.

The front third of the door I approached differently based on Nick’s post (and slightly closer to the supplied instructions). Here I misted it first with distilled water, then applied a spray of Hydro Blue. Next I heavily misted it again with the distilled water before wiping the area dry. [NOTE: While I was originally going to use a pump-up sprayer for higher pressure/volume, both of mine were currently occupied and I was too lazy to change one out for water - Hey: I said this wasn’t going to be scientific!!].
    Impressions: I think it felt marginally slicker than the rear section, but overall the look was the same.

After all that, I then misted the whole bottom of the door. The center portion behaved as expected for naked paint. The rear (Spray on/buff off) section showed more noticeable beading, but nothing profound.
    The front (H20, Spray on, H20 Rinse,buff off) section showed similar beading to the rear, though the front beading would actually succumb to gravity and start running off the panel. Next time it rains I’ll try to remember to pop out there and see what the water’s doing.

The moral of the story: If you use Hydro Blue per the instructions, it works waaaay better!

10. Thanks acuRAS82, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes vobro, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I also did a quick test today! Washed the car, dried one panel and then sprayed two mists into a microfiber cloth and one good mist onto the fender. Wiped it down and buffed it off. Seemed to go okay, but certainly needed a buff. Then I sprayed/dried the rest of the car with Megs HCW diluted 4-1.
    Hydro Blue Full Strength-32f27b54-2601-41bf-96e9-afd065c50fae-jpg

Edit: I didn't test water behavior because I was short on time. I washed the car about a month ago, used Hydro Blue Sio2 as my base coat per instructions, then wiped dry with Megs HCW at full strength. Had a few streaks from overdoing HCW, so I knocked those down with the 4-1 HCW mixture I did. When I was rinsing the car today, it was beading like a mofo! I have a V2 Mckee's Paint Coating I need to apply, but I'm pretty happy with the current combo so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will look at the Wolfgang SiO2 Waterless Wash for this need. Appears to be a gentle cleaner as well as laying down some SiO2 for those spot fixes between washing with the Hydro Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lessardrp View Post
    I think I will look at the Wolfgang SiO2 Waterless Wash for this need. Appears to be a gentle cleaner as well as laying down some SiO2 for those spot fixes between washing with the Hydro Blue.
    WG SiO2 WW or PBL SiO2 Detail Spray would be another new option for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12