autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying aid after applying Hydro Blue Sio2 coating.....

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Terrible drying aid, IMO. No slickness at all to prevent towel marring. I do, however, use 914 as a clay lube or waterless wash when marring is not a concern. I like how it leaves nothing behind.
    Is it that low on the lubrication?

If you get towel marring these days with all of the quality mf drying towels. I would look at my technique when drying or toss the towel that you get towel marring from. This is after a bucket wash. Could be a different story when doing WW and RW.

And from the little I have used drying aid. I experienced that the drying towel got less effective to soak up water and hold it. Also took many washes before my favorite drying towel was back to normal. Think that the BSD and another QD I have used made the drying towel hydrophobic. Also the whole point with how a mf drying towel is made is degrading the effectiveness from them with the use of drying aid. As those I tested when sprayed on the sitting water broke the water tension. That's a big part why drying towels and ordinary mf towels can hold water with the water tension and the capillary holding ability from them. The need of buffing of the streaking I got would actually be a bigger risk for towel marring. Than just lay out the drying towel and gently drag it towards me. And get a completly dry paint with one drag. If you would have a very scratch sensitive paint. I would use the padding technique with a very plush mf drying towel. The risk would be very minimal for towel marring that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think most basic QD's are going to leave much behind to really interfere with the coating properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Drying aid after applying Hydro Blue Sio2 coating.....

Didnít read through the thread, but if youíre just after lubrication while drying a clean but damp surface I think any rinseless wash at its standard wash dilution would do just fine.

I use a bottle of ONR mixed up at 256:1 for that purpose sometimes and I feel itís more than adequate. I donít need the superior lubricity of a waterless wash if all Iím doing is trying to get some lubrication to use a drying towel on the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify. Extender spray wax was used as a drying aid after using their 10-min paint sealant. Not hydro blue. My fault. But ESW is mostly polymer based, so I don't see how it would hurt over hydro blue.
    2018 Colorado ZR2
    http://www.autogeek.net/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    I really don't think most basic QD's are going to leave much behind to really interfere with the coating properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Didn’t read through the thread, but if you’re just after lubrication while drying a clean but damp surface I think any rinseless wash at its standard wash dilution would do just fine.

I use a bottle of ONR mixed up at 256:1 for that purpose sometimes and I feel it’s more than adequate. I don’t need the superior lubricity of a waterless wash if all I’m doing is trying to get some lubrication to use a drying towel on the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a few different QD's and rinseless washes I can give a try. I had a thought on the rinseless wash, but here in Louisville we are having rain almost everyday the last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    To clarify. Extender spray wax was used as a drying aid after using their 10-min paint sealant. Not hydro blue. My fault. But ESW is mostly polymer based, so I don't see how it would hurt over hydro blue.
    I talked to Nick and he said that anything with wax in it would hurt the Hydrophobic Properties and said to use the 10-min paint sealant. I have 2 bottles left of the Blackfire Crystal seal, but I have yet to buy any of the 10-min paint sealant. I do have some Extender was I can try.

Post Thanks / Like

this may suffice, it looks like it leaves nothing behind...

3D Spray Detailer - 128 oz.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

-Silicone free detailer is safe for body shop environment.
    -Removes smudges, fingerprints and light dust.
    -Ideal choice for foam pad conditioning prior to polishing.
    -Excellent clay lubricant.
    -3D Spray Detailer is the quick and easy way to clean up while you're sanding,
    buffing and polishing around the shop.

It works great on paint, glass and chrome.
    Simply spray onto the surface and wipe off with a clean, dry microfiber towel.

If you're working in a body shop environment you can use this product with no worries.
    The silicone free formula won't contaminate your paint spray area. It makes an excellent clay bar lubricant and works equally as well as a lubricant for clay towels, mitts or pads.

Do you like to condition your foam pads prior to buffing? If so, 3D Spray Detailer makes an excellent pad conditioner. It's silicone free formula will lubricate your foam pads to reduce wear and tear, producing superior polishing results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    ESW is geared towards being a drying aid or topper for: Mckees Paint Coating, 10 Min Paint Sealant and Hydro Blue. It has small amounts of SiO2 and the polymers in it are very light, it was created to not impact the properties of these SiO2 LSPs.

I personally still think it masks the characteristics of really good SiO2 sprays, but I’ve never seen bad results using it with 10 Min or Hydro Blue.

Or as others have stated, OP doesn’t need a drying aid after Hydro Blue, it already sheds so much water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12