autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel

I tried Mckees tire coating this weekend for the first time... and sort of failed. I washed tires with car wash soap (Mckees coating prep wash), then BF tire cleaner (scrubbed with hard bristled tire brush). Some brown dirt rinsed off. Not a whole lot of foaming during the scrubbing though. Finally Mckees tire rejuvenator, again not much foaming, contrary to instructions. Rinse off looked pretty clean. Figured they were good to coat.

3 coats with the soft bristle carrand brush that Mckees recommends. Everything looked and felt nice when dried. Next day got the car out in the sun and saw brown streaks on the tire, particularly inner portions near the rim where I was more careful brushing.

This must be due to lack of removal of the tons of coats of Mckees Gloss Tire Gel I apply at least weekly all winter. I’m guessing the tire gel was protecting against good contact with the rubber. Hence lack of foam action during cleaning.

The positive: you can only see the brown streaks from 5 feet and in if you’re looking. Those areas do appear to still be protected with coating for now. I’m going to ride this out for a bit rather than strip it and go back to old trusty tire gel. Partially due to how much time it will take to strip, and because it should rain through April so might as well let it wear down naturally for a bit.

Final takeaway: I don’t know if I like the coating yet. Gloss Tire Gel cleans as you apply, so literally application is all that’s needed. No cleaning, no scrubbing, no need to ruin towels turning them black with rubber wiping. The coating is obviously much more finicky to apply, but I suppose it will be worth it if it looks the same for a month or more and sheds dirt well (keeping it nice looking so I don’t have to do any maintenance). We’ll see what happens.

Below are pics right after drying, the easiest place to see the browning is at the bottom of the tire where the light reflects best.

Thanks for reading.

Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel-3fa080db-2dbe-4275-ad5e-4e0725a3b905-jpgMckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel-365ec6d6-dd6c-4036-9107-bbc5537e629a-jpgMckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel-84114f53-29fc-4086-8fea-5bb2ac5fbe2e-jpgMckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel-365ec6d6-dd6c-4036-9107-bbc5537e629a-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel

Eesh. I don't remember if I bought any of that M37 tire cleaner, if I did I haven't used it yet. The Tuf Shine cleaner is the best I've used, and it's a lot cheaper than the M37. You really have to make sure they are scrubbed clean before you coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Eesh. I don't remember if I bought any of that M37 tire cleaner, if I did I haven't used it yet. The Tuf Shine cleaner is the best I've used, and it's a lot cheaper than the M37. You really have to make sure they are scrubbed clean before you coat.
    In hindsight, I should have used a strong APC as initial scrub.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Nick has mentioned if one plans to use a tire coating at least Mckee’s then he recommends weekly cleanings if a tire gel/dressing/etc has been used.

This will ensure the tire product that has been absorbed by the tire is completely removed.

As soon as I followed his recommendation then all was well.

Anyway I got 11 months out of Mckee’s in 2018 and I only applied it at that time as I was off from work. So easily a year.

I like it better than the gloss tire gel.

I do use Tuf Shine tire cleaner as it’s a fantastic tire cleaner.

5. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Like Nick has mentioned if one plans to use a tire coating at least Mckee’s then he recommends weekly cleanings if a tire gel/dressing/etc has been used.

This will ensure the tire product that has been absorbed by the tire is completely removed.

As soon as I followed his recommendation then all was well.

Anyway I got 11 months out of Mckee’s in 2018 and I only applied it at that time as I was off from work. So easily a year.

I like it better than the gloss tire gel.

I do use Tuf Shine tire cleaner as it’s a fantastic tire cleaner.
    Was his recommendation to wash weekly while using the tire gels?

For someone like me slopping the gel on 1, 2, 3 times a week in the winter without wanting to freeze up my hose, perhaps I should have cleaned 2 or 3 times before trying the coating?

Either way, I have a huge bottle of coating left and I guess I know next time to scrub like crazy until I see good brown then eventually white foam. I should have known something was up when the brush was just sliding across the tire rather than digging in.

Live and learn. I may try the Tuf Stuff next time, but still have bottles of Mckees and Pinnacle to use up. This is user error anyways, I don’t blame the cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Was his recommendation to wash weekly while using the tire gels?
    His recommendation was weekly cleanings and not using any tire products for a few weeks.

8. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, I will follow that next time. A year protection sounds unreal, that would be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 303 tire cleaner and did my tires 3 times and I maybe applied tire gel 3 times in winter. If you used gel that often in winter, I would wash 3 times and then leave be with no coating or gel just bare. Do that weekly for 2/3 weeks. Make sure foam coming of is white before you apply. I did that for 2 weeks and coating went well. I did use different brand though.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about McKee’s T&R rejuvenator. You should be fine if you have a good amount.

Once coated maintenance is simple as wiping tire. Guz. Mentioned in another thread that just reapplying is a lot easier....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen on my truck that had been treated for a year fairly regularly with Hot Shine the first time I tried McKee's Tire Coating. I had to use a strong APC full strength on the tires with a stiff brush multiple times followed up with McKee's Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator for the last cleaning. All I use now is tire coating and after the initial cleaning the browning issues went away. I'm getting 4 to 5 months or longer out of McKee's Tire Coating and just purchased another large bottle. On the next application on my wife's Durango I'm going to power scrub the tires with APC followed by the T&R Rejuvenator and start with a clean slate. This vehicle has Goodyear Fortera tires from the factory and they don't take the tire coating as well as my other two vehicles. The Goodyear tires on my Ram look great all the time and the Michelin tires on my work vehicle look good with a single coat applied. I've read in other threads make and model of tire can effect the outcome when using this coating.

13. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not take the time to look back for it, but I believe Mike Phillips is a fan of NOT using tire coatings if the tire has ever had a dressing applied. I seem to remember him saying it's too difficult to overcome the residual effects of the dressing enough to make the coating effective.

I bought McKee's tire coating, knowing I was replacing my tires. Now that the new tires are on, and have not been dressed, I am hoping to install the coating this weekend.

In addition to starting with a "clean slate" (-non-dressed tires), I also have the Mighty Mini and associated brushes for cleaning the tires more mechanically than my hand. With these advantages, I anticipate a successful installation, but I will report back when completed.

15. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast