autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I tried Mckees tire coating this weekend for the first time... and sort of failed. I washed tires with car wash soap (Mckees coating prep wash), then BF tire cleaner (scrubbed with hard bristled tire brush). Some brown dirt rinsed off. Not a whole lot of foaming during the scrubbing though. Finally Mckees tire rejuvenator, again not much foaming, contrary to instructions. Rinse off looked pretty clean. Figured they were good to coat.

3 coats with the soft bristle carrand brush that Mckees recommends. Everything looked and felt nice when dried. Next day got the car out in the sun and saw brown streaks on the tire, particularly inner portions near the rim where I was more careful brushing.

This must be due to lack of removal of the tons of coats of Mckees Gloss Tire Gel I apply at least weekly all winter. Iím guessing the tire gel was protecting against good contact with the rubber. Hence lack of foam action during cleaning.

The positive: you can only see the brown streaks from 5 feet and in if youíre looking. Those areas do appear to still be protected with coating for now. Iím going to ride this out for a bit rather than strip it and go back to old trusty tire gel. Partially due to how much time it will take to strip, and because it should rain through April so might as well let it wear down naturally for a bit.

Final takeaway: I donít know if I like the coating yet. Gloss Tire Gel cleans as you apply, so literally application is all thatís needed. No cleaning, no scrubbing, no need to ruin towels turning them black with rubber wiping. The coating is obviously much more finicky to apply, but I suppose it will be worth it if it looks the same for a month or more and sheds dirt well (keeping it nice looking so I donít have to do any maintenance). Weíll see what happens.

Below are pics right after drying, the easiest place to see the browning is at the bottom of the tire where the light reflects best.

Thanks for reading.

Attachment 66304Attachment 66305Attachment 66306Attachment 66305
    It looks like you didn't get enough on the bottom. Its a great product I've used it many times. The cleaner you can get the whole tire the better. I bought new tires a year and half ago at least and have been using it on them since the beginning so that def helps. I get better results then when I used it on my old tires. if you have a drill one of those brush attachments works great.

One tip I've found to applying it is to put it on to start with the carrand brush then use a detailing brush to work it in. This really helps spread it evenly. Sometimes I just use a big detailing brush and skip the carrand brush. You have to use a lot of product I find. Probably quite a bit more then what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    It looks like you didn't get enough on the bottom. Its a great product I've used it many times. The cleaner you can get the whole tire the better. I bought new tires a year and half ago at least and have been using it on them since the beginning so that def helps. I get better results then when I used it on my old tires. if you have a drill one of those brush attachments works great.

One tip I've found to applying it is to put it on to start with the carrand brush then use a detailing brush to work it in. This really helps spread it evenly. Sometimes I just use a big detailing brush and skip the carrand brush. You have to use a lot of product I find. Probably quite a bit more then what they say.
    Thanks for the tip. I have new winter tires that I will try this on in a month or two, just letting the initial new-tire “stuff” wear a bit. For my used tires I will just keep trying to clean better. Which drill brush head did you use for the tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I have new winter tires that I will try this on in a month or two, just letting the initial new-tire “stuff” wear a bit. For my used tires I will just keep trying to clean better. Which drill brush head did you use for the tires?
    I used a white 4" brush off amazon. its the lightest 1. I just used it for the first time last coating so it's not like its impossible by hand alone. I've done it that way for a few years. The drill does make it easier though. Just gotta be careful with the stuff flying of the drill brush. Just dont go to fast and hold it in a way that the sling doesn't hit the paint.

I used the new pinnacle black label stuff last time I'm still undecided on which I like better

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456