autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed in it. I've mentioned a few times that I have gone a year with this tire coating and it was still present on the tire and could have gone even longer. I touched it up 1 year later. Seems like Nick has made this version even better than the original detailer's pro version.

Also that different tire compounds will take the coating differently.

I prefer McKee's over Tuf Shine in looks and performance.
    Yeah I had it down to mckees, optimum and black pearl. Optimum doesnít seem to be better and Perl is a lot more. Another reason itís mckees is I going to try the Tac systems tire coat as a monthly- bi monthly topper as both are acrylic resins (not sure of others) and I gotta use it for something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I touched it up 1 year later.
    what steps are involved in touching them up? Mine still look okay after 6 months, but would like to touch them up also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    what steps are involved in touching them up? Mine still look okay after 6 months, but would like to touch them up also.
    I think you can reapply, by not stripping the existing coating, i.e. using a softer brush with the tire cleaner spray. This should quickly clean the existing coating and itís ready to be topped. Less work than throwing the kitchen sink at the tires every time you re-apply.

Honestly, even using something like water and Mckees Prep Wash could leave coated tires clean enough to recoat. Way easier than cleaning bare rubber. Iíve used the prep wash before but ended up also using the tire cleaner spray after... the spray proved the tires were pretty clean after the prep wash (no brown foam).

What region do you live in, mrmarkmac? Just curious based on your 6 month duration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah I had it down to mckees, optimum and black pearl. Optimum doesnít seem to be better and Perl is a lot more. Another reason itís mckees is I going to try the Tac systems tire coat as a monthly- bi monthly topper as both are acrylic resins (not sure of others) and I gotta use it for something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I have seen and read, optimum seems to be streaky and splotchy.

I use the Tuf shine applicators to apply Mckeeís.

I just use soap in my wheel bucket and a soft bristled brush to remove any surface dirt. Then I use the metro vac side kick to dry the tires and apply a fresh coat or two, using the sidekick in between coats to speed up the tire coating drying time.

5. Likes vincec, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    What region do you live in, mrmarkmac? Just curious based on your 6 month duration.
    Iím currently in Texas. The car is in the garage more than out and probably only 3,000 miles in those 6 months, and never rain. I was more interested in touching them up because I only did one coat originally and after doing my wifeís car with 3 coats, they look a lot better.

given mine are clean from washing regularly, Iíll just hit them with soap and agitate it before drying and reapplying.

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prep is key. After degreasing the tire, go over it with laquer thiiner, or mineral spirits until there's no black gunk on the towel. Then apply the tire coating. There's no degreaser on the market that will get that stuff off, no matter how many times you scrub.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m currently in Texas. The car is in the garage more than out and probably only 3,000 miles in those 6 months, and never rain. I was more interested in touching them up because I only did one coat originally and after doing my wife’s car with 3 coats, they look a lot better.

given mine are clean from washing regularly, I’ll just hit them with soap and agitate it before drying and reapplying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wax View Post
    Prep is key. After degreasing the tire, go over it with laquer thiiner, or mineral spirits until there's no black gunk on the towel. Then apply the tire coating. There's no degreaser on the market that will get that stuff off, no matter how many times you scrub.
    Is all that prep necessary for a touch up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    No it is not. The coating makes it easier to keep the dirt off the surface. I have yet to do the entire prep just for a touch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Not for touch up....for the first original application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincec View Post
    I had the same thing happen on my truck that had been treated for a year fairly regularly with Hot Shine the first time I tried McKee's Tire Coating. I had to use a strong APC full strength on the tires with a stiff brush multiple times followed up with McKee's Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator for the last cleaning. All I use now is tire coating and after the initial cleaning the browning issues went away. I'm getting 4 to 5 months or longer out of McKee's Tire Coating and just purchased another large bottle. On the next application on my wife's Durango I'm going to power scrub the tires with APC followed by the T&R Rejuvenator and start with a clean slate. This vehicle has Goodyear Fortera tires from the factory and they don't take the tire coating as well as my other two vehicles. The Goodyear tires on my Ram look great all the time and the Michelin tires on my work vehicle look good with a single coat applied. I've read in other threads make and model of tire can effect the outcome when using this coating.
    Yep, all tires are not created equal just as not all paint are created equal.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast