autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Tire Coating: Thoughts and compare with Gloss Tire Gel

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    I did not take the time to look back for it, but I believe Mike Phillips is a fan of NOT using tire coatings if the tire has ever had a dressing applied. I seem to remember him saying it's too difficult to overcome the residual effects of the dressing enough to make the coating effective.

I bought McKee's tire coating, knowing I was replacing my tires. Now that the new tires are on, and have not been dressed, I am hoping to install the coating this weekend.

In addition to starting with a "clean slate" (-non-dressed tires), I also have the Mighty Mini and associated brushes for cleaning the tires more mechanically than my hand. With these advantages, I anticipate a successful installation, but I will report back when completed.
    That's correct, he did say that. Also, for your new tires, give them a few weeks of just cleaning no dressing because new tires have a mold release agent that needs time to be removed from the rubber. Only then the coating will bond properly.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the tires this morning before my wife left. On an overcast day itís hard to tell thereís any issues, even from a few feet away. When the sun is out it looks like the pictures above.

I have the Mckees SiO2 Tire dressing that I may try in a few weeks just to see if it blackens them a bit. If so, I can probably hang with this coating through summer.

I donít want this thread to deter anyone from using the coating because it was definitely my fault, and the results really arenít terrible despite my mis-doings. It rained hard yesterday and my wife drives 35 miles each way to work. The tires look very clean despite that, which would not be the case with dressing/gel.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about adding a couple of more layers to see if it remedies the situation?

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Have you thought about adding a couple of more layers to see if it remedies the situation?
    I have thought of that. While the coating is pricey, I have the 16oz bottle that will take forever to use. I guess I would do some non-aggressive scrubs with Mckees T&RR and add more. Could be something I try when my wife is out of town next week.

Post Thanks / Like

I just stripped off the tire coating on my 2015 Durango today. I power scrubbed the tires with McKee's 37 APC diluted 4:1 followed by power scrubbing again with the Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator. These tires looked almost grey after I air dried them. Both of my other vehicles with two coats of tire coating have a lot more shine than these Goodyear tires.

Close up after power scrubbing.

After two coats of McKee's 37 Tire Coating.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys use to clean your coated tires? Always soap and water? Anyone use N-914 as RW or WW?

Most importantly, what do people use as the cleaning applicator? If I want a quick tire-clean with N-914 for instance, does an old MF rag work best? A dedicated foam applicator? Whatever it is will likely get filthy fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance is easy. Best to not over think it.

Soap and water works fine as does N914 when doing a rinseless wash. A soft bristled brush is all that is needed with either method such as the mothers wheel and tire brush. You donít want a stiff bristled brush that may damage the coating.

Dry with a microfiber towel if air is not available.

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Mother's Wheel and Tire Brush Kit and a Speed Master Wheel Brush with my regular wash soap for maintenance cleaning of wheels and tires. When I plan on coating the wheels with McKee's 37 Hydro Blue I'll clean the wheels and tires with Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect. Since I moved to McKee's 37 Tire Coating my wash mitts and drying towels no longer get dirty when washing the tires.

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I need a soft bristle brush for the N-914 cleaning, or just use my dedicated wheel mitts if the coating keeps them from getting black tire residue on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Yeah, I need a soft bristle brush for the N-914 cleaning, or just use my dedicated wheel mitts if the coating keeps them from getting black tire residue on it.
    All I ever do is spray the tire with Megs D114 and rinse off with the hose. No scrubbing necessary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast