autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using N-914 as a Paint Prep?

Hi all,

This may be a dumb question, but noticed with my new purchase of N-914 that it can be mixed to be a "Paint Prep"...

Is this the exact mix that I would use to prep the car after polishing, in order to apply Paint Coating V2?

Just making sure...hopefully I will be reapplying my Coat in a few weeks, after a good 1.5 years on the vehicle now.

Thanks in advance...Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using N-914 as a Paint Prep?

Yup you can use it to remove polishing oils.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is correct. Mix 8 parts water to 1 part N-914 (if memory serves me right) and you got yourself their recommended paint prep to use before the coating.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

”McKee’s 37 N-914 uses an advanced formula
    to clean paint of all surface debris – including
    oils found in polishes and compounds

Yep, you read that right!
    You can use McKee’s 37 N-914 to prep your
    paint for application of a paint coating!”

Use McKee’s 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash Formula as:
    •A Paint Prep – Dilute 1:8

Source: McKee?s 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone here has covered it, I've used it and it appeared to work well and easy to use.

I still have a new bottle of Eraser now sitting around because of it.

N914 works wonderful for a waterless wash too! Great product all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all...the original reason buying this was for rinseless/waterless. Didn't think of using it for Paint Prep. Just wanted to confirm that when it is used as a "paint prep" it is in the light of using a paint coat.

I did read the directions, just needed confirmation, since most other company's sell a "paint prep" specifically.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Given the time, effort and cost that goes into prepping and installing a coating, I tend to go a bit overboard following directions.

When I installed the McKee's 37 coating on my car, I prepped with N-914, and it was very successful. I highly recommend it. I presume McKee's tested this using their coating and it was fine.

However, were I using a different manufacture's coating, I would be extra cautious about assuming N-914 would be a suitable prep for their coating. It might be, but I think I'd either - 1) stick with what the coating manufacturer recommends, or 2) look for specific examples of N-914 working with the coating you intend to apply.

I LOVE McKee's stuff, and I especially love N-914. But I don't believe McKee's claims this would be a product for universal coating prep. If I'm wrong, I bet Nick will correct me.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

When I use N-914 as a paint prep. I would use a liberal amount as a pre soak to remove 80-90% of the oil residue at a reduced cost compared to a actual paint prep product. After that that’s when I follow up with the paint prep made by the manufacturer of the Coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    When I use N-914 as a paint prep. I would use a liberal amount as a pre soak to remove 80-90% of the oil residue at a reduced cost compared to a actual paint prep product. After that that’s when I follow up with the paint prep made by the manufacturer of the Coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    That makes quite a bit of sense. I like it! If I find myself straying from the McKee's line for a coating, I'll give this some consideration.

13. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Given the time, effort and cost that goes into prepping and installing a coating, I tend to go a bit overboard following directions.

When I installed the McKee's 37 coating on my car, I prepped with N-914, and it was very successful. I highly recommend it. I presume McKee's tested this using their coating and it was fine.

However, were I using a different manufacture's coating, I would be extra cautious about assuming N-914 would be a suitable prep for their coating. It might be, but I think I'd either - 1) stick with what the coating manufacturer recommends, or 2) look for specific examples of N-914 working with the coating you intend to apply.

I LOVE McKee's stuff, and I especially love N-914. But I don't believe McKee's claims this would be a product for universal coating prep. If I'm wrong, I bet Nick will correct me.

Good luck!
    If a coating prep product is doing it's job properly, i.e. removing all residual surface contaminates while not leaving anything behind to interfere with the coating bonding to the paint, any one should do the trick.

Until I used Prep and CanCoat together last year, I'd never used a prep product and a coating from the same company together and have never had any issues. To date, I've used the original BlackFire paint prep with McKee's 37 paint coating v1 and CQuartz. I've also used Prep with CanCoat, McKee's 37 v1, and CQuartz UK. In every instance the coating application had no issues and durability was within the tolerances laid out by the manufacturer.
    Save the Manuals!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast