autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Paint Coating v1 and v2 shelf life concern?

So I have complained about McKee's 37 paint coating v2 (sio2 enhanced) that the sprayer head clogged after 1st use. Now I noticed a new issue with v2 coating: after setting the used bottle on shelf for a few months, the remaining coating turn into a goo/jelly like substance. Obviously there is no way to apply the rest coating like this. Is this supposed to happen? If this is a common phenomenon it's kinda disappointing since this turns the product to a one shot formula: no matter how much you have left they will turn into goo after couple months? Or is there any way to preserve the remaining coating?

Out of my own curiosity I recalled I still have an older version v1 McKee's coating (without SiO2). It has been sitting on shelf for ~1.5 years since last use. I want to see if that turns into jelly as well. Surprisingly it's still holding on just fine and the sprayer is working as well. I happily applied the v1 coating on another car ( clayed-->coating prep polished--> v1 coating). The car has been beading great for the first week and the beading diminished rather quickly. Today is week 3 after v1 coating, and I see literally no beading at all on that car. Yes I know my v1 coating is a bit old but usually you won't expect these chemicals to expire that soon, right?

Just want to bring things up and see if anyone has experienced the same. Or may be there are tips I don't know to prevent these from happening?

2. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Paint Coating v1 and v2 shelf life concern?

Other coatings that come in the small bottles are toast shortly after opening. You may just have to look at McKees the same way. SiO2 get hard when exposed to air and there is no way I know to stop this process other than to fill the space with some inert gas which is just not cost effective. I’ve been sticking to the 30-50ml coatings. 1 bottle=1 vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this seems to be common with v2. I’d say you have 6 months or less to use it. Preferably much faster than that. I wish they’d have a 2oz bottle for something like $25 and the usual 4oz bottle for $45. Unless you’re doing a few cars in a row, whatever you don’t used on the first car will go to waste.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

This appears to be a common thing. I have seen it posted in the McKee's facebook page quite often.

Some coatings just start to gel up or crystallize if they are not used in time making them unusable.

Gtechniq Exo and Crystal Serum Light do this as well. They have about a 3 month shelf life once they are open. I have not had issues with Cquartz coatings doing this as they are still good months after they are open. Same for Gyeon CanCoat and Gloss Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

If V1 didn't have SiO2 in it, what *was* in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do to prevent these problems:

For the sprayer, when you are done doing the car, take it off the bottle and spray water with it for 5 to 10 spray. This will remove the coating from inside the straw and the sprayer head. You can expect to be able to use it at least 3 times instead of one if you do this.

For the coating, I keep it in the fridge. I have not had a bottle go bad on me yet doing this. The real test will come this winter, I have a bottle and a half left from my last order and I am about to shut down for 5 to 6 months... So I have no idea if that will be enough to keep it in good shape for that long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    The real test will come this winter, I have a bottle and a half left from my last order and I am about to shut down for 5 to 6 months... So I have no idea if that will be enough to keep it in good shape for that long.
    Let us know how it goes. Nick has told us on his FB group to not store their coating in the fridge.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Let us know how it goes. Nick has told us on his FB group to not store their coating in the fridge.
    Well... I don't know what to tell you. I have had bottles of the coating go bad in a matter of weeks this summer. Of course we had a pretty hot summer so that did not help at all. But the bottles I ordered in July have been in the fridge most of the time (I take them out when I head out to do a coating job only) and I have almost gone through one and the other one is still full) and they are still good after about 3 months. So to me, the real enemy is heat. Maybe it would be optimal to keep them in a cool room like at 10 celcius or something, but so far the fridge (on the top shelf) seems to work for me.

If Nick is in here, maybe he could give us more info on how and why.

I bet the best thing would be to vacuum the air out, unfortunatelly I am not equiped to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess turning into goo is a common issue for all coating now. Can McKee change the container design a little to prevent this? for example Opti-coat comes with a syringe with which you can relatively easily pop out air after each use. But in a spray bottle it is inevitable to pump in air to encourage goo transformation. I hate to see my investment go bad so quickly especially I dont do detailing for profit (hobbyist).

Post Thanks / Like

I havent had any of my Gyeon go bad yet. Store pure and Mohs and skin in my small fridge. Mckees glass coating gelled up within 2 months stored at room temp.

I still have a year old pump bottle of v1 of mckees coating that hasn't turned to jelly so who knows... lol... stored at room temp...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast