autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mckees Leather Guard UV50 questions

I have the Leather Guard UV50, and I also have a lot of leftover Wolfgang leather conditioner. Is it OK/effective to use the two in tandem in either of the two ways below:

1) the leather guard applied first and then occasionally (every few months) the conditioner on top, or
    2) the Conditioner applied first and then the leather guard (which would only be once every 4-6 months)?

The Leather Guard UV50 is more precious to me, so I would hate to have it removed if I use the conditioner on top (#1), or not to have the Leather Guard apply well because of Conditioner being underneath (#2). If there is risk of wasting the Leather Guard by using these in tandem then I guess I would need to beg people on the street to condition their leather seats (I hate wasting product) and only use the Leather Guard on my personal vehicles.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, including from Nick Mckees37.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees Leather Guard UV50 questions

I’d use just the Mckee’s Product and not mix both. Put the Wolfgang product on the Samples / for trade thread and get something else you might need.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t want to deal with packing and shipping. I’ll figure out something for the leather conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the McKee’s 70/30 Leather Shampoo today. Tonight I will apply the Leather Guard. I don’t plan to add/mix anything else for the next 4 or so months (until winter prep).

I would still be interested in any thoughts on this thread topic though, as I respect the different opinions of all forum members.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I used the McKee’s 70/30 Leather Shampoo today. Tonight I will apply the Leather Guard. I don’t plan to add/mix anything else for the next 4 or so months (until winter prep).

I would still be interested in any thoughts on this thread topic though, as I respect the different opinions of all forum members.
    Hi acuRAS82
    I was looking at this post and wondering how the UV50 product works for the prevention of dye transfer on the leather seats? It has been many months since this post so interested in hearing your results now with the product.

Thanks,

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    Hi acuRAS82
    I was looking at this post and wondering how the UV50 product works for the prevention of dye transfer on the leather seats? It has been many months since this post so interested in hearing your results now with the product.

Thanks,

Kirby
    Iím not acuRAS82, but Iíve been using the UV50 since launch.

Itís very good at preventing transfer, but nothing is going to be 100%. My wifeís vehicle has ivory leather and UV50 has prevented a lot of issues. The only transfer we had was from a new black leather belt that got wet. There was a slight line in the seat, but I was able to clean 95% of it off with the 70:30 leather cleaner and reapply UV50. I really should reapply UV50 often, but life gets in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi acuRAS82
    The UV50 has to have warn off recently (its been more than 6 months, I need to reapply), but overall, the seats clean up very well with minimal effort. I only wish it lasted longer than 6 months as I hate cleaning and protecting my interior, given I have a 3 year old.

The seats are dark grey or black, I haven’t noticed any dye transfer, but it’s a tough color to see that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    The UV50 has to have warn off recently (its been more than 6 months, I need to reapply), but overall, the seats clean up very well with minimal effort. I only wish it lasted longer than 6 months as I hate cleaning and protecting my interior, given I have a 3 year old.

The seats are dark grey or black, I haven’t noticed any dye transfer, but it’s a tough color to see that.
    Thanks for the reply. I order a kit yesterday for my neighbor who has new Toyota Highlander with the light colored leather. Seems to get more dye transfer on the seat and someone is leaving a stain on the back seat. I have used by Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Leather product to clean it up but need to stop it if we can. Yours and others do give the McKee's UV50 high marks so time will tell on the new car.

I will also try out the Pinnacle Black Label Leather protectant for my personal car to see the differences.

Thanks
    Kirby

Post Thanks / Like

I will also try out the Pinnacle Black Label Leather protectant for my personal car to see the differences.
    I’d be interested hearing how you like the PBL. I hope Mckees does well for your neighbor!