autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Behold Behemoth! - Cleaned & Sealed with DP Poli-Coat

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar

Behold Behemoth! - Cleaned & Sealed with DP Poli-Coat

Behold Behemoth! - Cleaned & Sealed with DP Poli-Coat

This is my friend Dave's 2004 Custom Kodiak Truck, he's a fabricator and he started with a Kodiak Cab and grafted in the center section of a 1996 Chevy Van between the front and rear of cab portions of the cab to create a custom stretched truck cab.
    • 6.6 Duramax Diesel Engine.

• Allison 1000 Series Transmission.

• New Process 273 Transfercase.

• 15000 Ramsey Winch - Front.

• 10000 Winch - Rear.

• 3 Fuel Tanks, Two 60 Gallon Tanks and One 50 Gallon Tank.

• Rear Bed is 2007 Chevrolet Dually Pickup Bed - this is a Dump Bed and a Roll-back Bed.

To say it's big is an understatement. Here's Dave's Kodiak parked next to a 1964 Ford Falcoln and the Kodiak Truck dwarfs this full size Ford passenger car.

Dave uses his Behemoth to move Yachts around where he works at American Custom Yachts Incorporated.

Due to it's size it's parked out side, exposed to the coastal weather here in Florida where even though it has a very new single stage paint job, the boat yard is a busy place with sand blasting and painting a common duty performed and this means Dave's truck is exposed to a lot of air borne overspray and contaminants.

We're going to start with washing Dave's Kodiak and we can safely feel the paint and check for Above Surface Bonded Contaminants.

Washing, claying and waxing a truck this size is a little more difficult than a normal car, truck or s.u.v., luckily we have the right tools to do the job safely.

After washing, I drove the Behemoth into the studio where I can dry it with some waffle weave drying towels and then inspect the paint for above surface bonded contaminants.

Ready to dry and then clay the paint. After washing I felt the vertical surfaces, (haven't got up high enough at the time of this post to feel the horizontal surfaces), and there's definitely above surface bonded contaminants, my guess is some overspray paint.

If you're reading this and you have never used detailing clay before, here's a video on how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants.

How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

To remove above surface bonded contaminants, we're going to use Detailer's Pride Universal Clay Lubricant and DP Universal Detailing Clay.

After claying just the hood here's what the face of the clay looks like...

Before moving on to any more panels, it's a good idea to fold your clay into itself and then re-knead the clay into a new clay patty...

Now you're ready to get back to claying...

On the top of the fenders, I found small rust spots which could be some type of metal particulates...

Here's a close-up... there are a number of ways to tackle metal particles embedded in paint, for this project we tried claying and it appeared to remove the clay particles to the paint the rust stains were gone and the paint felt smooth and glassy.

If Dave finds the rust spots return, then we might have to try the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System.

As I moved around the truck I also found the plastic lens on the tail lights had a rough feel to them so these were also clayed. You can clay any surface that's smooth like paint, plastic, chrome, stainless steel and glass for example.

We're finished claying and ready to move on to the next step...

Claying restores smoothness to the paint surface and gloss comes from smoothness, as you can see below the paint is now uniformly glossy over the entire truck.

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Re: Behold Behemoth! - Cleaned & Sealed with DP Poli-Coat

Continued...

The paint on this truck was sprayed around December or 2009, it was never sanded and buffed and for these reasons it had no tracers or pigtail sanding marks to remove nor any machine inflicted compounding swirls, except for Above Surface Bonded Contaminants a little staining and oxidation, the paint was in excellent condition but it has never been properly sealed.

Detailer's Pride has introduced a brand new polymer paint sealant called Poli-Coat Paint Sealant, this new sealant is,

• One Step Polish and Sealant
    • Anti-Static Polymer Formula
    • Resistant to Alkaline and Acidic Cleansers and Detergents

We're going to apply this new sealant using a Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher and a new Lake Country Crimson Hydro-Tech Pad on about the 4.0 Speed Setting.

The DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant is a fairly thick product compared to other sealants...

After massaging the paint with this new sealant look out the sealant has spread out to cover the entire face of the pad, this happens with other machine applied paint care products too...

The sides were easy but the higher section required the use of the ladder and even a Skyjack Scissor Lift.

This truck was used in a recent video we shot with Oley, the President of the Flitz Metal Polish Company and I used some of the products and techniques he shared in the video to finish off the chrome on this truck.

The Flitz Metal Polish not only restores brilliance to faded, stained chrome but also leaves behind a protective coating. Using the Flitz Buff Ball took all the work out of the job.

Detailer's Pride has recently introduced a new and improved version of their Gloss Tire Gel and we had a chance to use a beta sample on the huge tires on this truck...

Before

After

Mike Phillips
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Twitter
    Instagram

Continued...

The process was simple but the results were phenomenal and best of all, the paint on this massive truck is now protected from the harsh environment it's exposed to every day. I'm confident we'll see this truck in the future and we'll have a chance to monitor how well the protection is working.

Some after shots...

Here's what it looks like from the driver's seat, I took this picture as I drove the truck around the building while taking some pictures. It drives easy, just like a normal truck with plenty of power and a great view of the horizon!

Time to turn the keys back over to Dave, the man behind the machine...

Thanks Dave!

Products Used
    DP Universal Detailing Clay
    Detailer's Pride Universal Clay Lubricant
    Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
    Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher
    Flitz Metal Polish
    Flitz Buff Ball
    DP Gloss Tire Gel
    Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towels - 6 Pack
    Lake Country Foam Buffing Pads

Mike Phillips
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Twitter
    Instagram

Nice work as always. I have a DP Poly-Coat sample on the way, can't wait to try it!

Any word on when the Crimson HT pads will be available? Have you tried a Crimson pad for light correction work yet?

Thanks,
    Dave

I don't even think that thing would be street legal in Illinois(too tall). Nice work!! Did you feel beat up after that monster?

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

Any word on when the Crimson HT pads will be available? Have you tried a Crimson pad for light correction work yet?
    Hi Dave,

The Crimson pads should be in within a couple weeks, maybe sooner, maybe later... kind of busy right now and hard to get definite dates...

We used the Crimson Pad for something at the classs last weekend

Pictures and Comments from the April 24th Detailing Class

But to be honest it was so busy I can't remember who used what when and where...

Mike Phillips
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Twitter
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I don't even think that thing would be street legal in Illinois(too tall). Nice work!! Did you feel beat up after that monster?
    Just tired in that it was a long day... getting up and down and in and out of the back of the truck and up and down on ladders and step stools is always on the risky side for myself...

It sure is fun to drive! Dave said I can borrow it anytime I like... pretty cool benefit...

Mike Phillips
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Twitter
    Instagram

Mike, its a good thing the truck is used around the yard and not as a DD. It would have stunk trying to get all the small cars out of the grill! I've seen quite a few of the F650 pickup conversions, but I have to say that is the largest pickup I've ever seen!!

Colin

Mike, I thought you had a big and tall truck, Geez! Looking good. Will DP Poli-Coat remove light marring and Oxidation? How's application and removal? Great job by the way, that was a huge undertaking.

I had these metal particles on my "05" Silverado Silver.I couldn't remove it with clay so a friend had me use 2000 grit to remove it. It did well but was a lot of work. Would Finish Kare be easier & quicker? I now see a lot in my wheel wells. What's the best way to remove it?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast