autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1977 Jeep CJ-5 - 40 Years Old! Paint Restoration

This is a cool Jeep, That has a ton of character. The owner brought the Jeep by the shop for me to take a look, Upon inspection it was clearly very dirty hazy and oxidized. The owner wanted it to shine, He asked If there was any life out of the paint. I told him it was not going to come out perfect but there is definitely a tremendous amount to improve on gloss wise.

So lets take a look at the Jeep.

Before Condition

Paint Condition - Before

Washing

With the Jeep having no doors, and no top. Obviously its not a wise choice to wash with a hose, So I chose to use a rinsless wash using N914. This car was far to dirty even for just 2 wash mitts, So I kind of did a hybrid wash of a Gary Dean method and a 2 bucket system.

Paint Enhancement

Perfection, Or even near perfection was not realistic for this Jeep. The owner wanted to restore the gloss and get it protected. So the Polish of choice is of course McKee's 37 360, This is going to give the customer exactly what they want.

On this Jeep, I chose a Flex 3401, Due to all the tight curves and contours on the side of the body. I did not want to deal with pad stall of any sort. The pad choice I went with was a White Lake Country CCS Pad, I have to say This was my first time using McKee's 37 360 with a CCS pad and seriously its like a match made in heaven. They both play really nice with each other!

Before

Before

Alot of deep scratches remained in the paint finish, However like I always say, If I am using a 1-Step cleaner wax, Perfection or even near perfection is never my goal. If I can enhance the paint like the photo above, The goal is accomplished!

Dressing/Trim

McKee's 37 All-In-One Leather Lotion 50/50.

Prepping the plastic for Plastic Trim Restorer.

Even after a wash, Embedded dirt still remained. This is why prep is key for Plastic Trim Restorer.
    (Does anybody else love the smell of wax remover for plastic like I do?)

This Trim was really oxidized, I applied a heavy coat and let it level.

50/50 Of Gloss Tire Gel.

Before

After

Look at all the dirt the applicator pad picked up, All-In-One leather lotion is like 360 Just for Leather/Vinyl! It cleans, restores, and protects.

After Shots

unfortunately the sun was not out, So I took some after shots with my LED flashlight, ALOT of deep scratches still remain, However all the wash swirl marks are gone, Remember my rule for doing a 1-step cleaner wax job, Whatever Defect removal I get after 1 complete buffing cycle (4-5 passes) I accept it and move on to the next panel. Overall I got a impressive amount of correction with 1 step and a polishing pad.

The owner Jorge is thrilled with the results, The shine is restored and the Jeep is ready to cruise the beach!

Jorge Has owned it since 2015, It has a freshly rebuilt AMC V8 Engine with 24,000 Miles. Just pulling this Jeep into the shop was alot of fun, Let's just say I would love to be cruising A1A by the beach in this thing!

Product List:

N914
    Gloss Tire Gel
    Xtreme Iron Remover
    Flex 3401
    Lake Country White CCS Polishing Pad
    Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner

-Joe Metlow
    Next Level Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1977 Jeep CJ-5 - 40 Years Old! Paint Restoration

Great turnaround!

Just curious for the fender flares - Did you consider trying the M37 coating prep polish? I know the customer wasn't paying for an all-out restoration, but it seems like those could have been a great under promise/over deliver opportunity. And a chance to let another McKee's product shine.

Only reason I ask is I remember seeing Eldorado2k having great results with it on his oxidized trim: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...label-use.html

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice save!

This is also a text book example of what I share in this article,

"Taking your car's paint to it's maximum potential"

Good work Joe. I looked at this Jeep with the owner at our last Cars & Coffee and you did a great job of capturing the before condition with your camera as it was as bad as the pictures make it look.

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge turn around !! Huge !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a turnaround!! Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    The owner Jorge is thrilled with the results, The shine is restored and the Jeep is ready to cruise the beach!
    And I love that you took a picture of the happy owner - something I wish more people did - It's always nice to see their happy faces

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    How was the xtreme iron remover applied and cleaned off the surface?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Very good work. Thanks a bunch for sharing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! It does make me feel old though. I bought my first brand new car in 1977. The tag on the Jeep said "antique". Ouch.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to get somre 360.

Senior Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Great turnaround!

Just curious for the fender flares - Did you consider trying the M37 coating prep polish? I know the customer wasn't paying for an all-out restoration, but it seems like those could have been a great under promise/over deliver opportunity. And a chance to let another McKee's product shine.

Only reason I ask is I remember seeing Eldorado2k having great results with it on his oxidized trim: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...label-use.html
    Thank You!

I have seen that thread! He got great results. However plastics vary from manufacturer. While you might get good results on one application. Another application it is possible to damage the plastic. And I am in the business to make money not fix/repair. Dressing the plastics took no time. It was a over-deliver service that made the customer happy.

It's another thing if the customer wanted them 100% restored I would of perhaps performed a test spot to see the results. However on a free over-deliver service its not wise to use something that has the possibility of causing damage, now your profits just went out the window on a free service, if anything bad were to occur.

I will keep this in mind for next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nice save!

This is also a text book example of what I share in this article,

"Taking your car's paint to it's maximum potential"

Good work Joe. I looked at this Jeep with the owner at our last Cars & Coffee and you did a great job of capturing the before condition with your camera as it was as bad as the pictures make it look.

Thank You Mike! The owner Jorge was very happy. The Jeep is far from perfect but like you have posted in your article, thats what exactly what was accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Huge turn around !! Huge !!!!!
    Thank You Ronzoni!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Wow! What a turnaround!! Nice work.

And I love that you took a picture of the happy owner - something I wish more people did - It's always nice to see their happy faces
    Thank you Angus, The customer pictures are cool. I have been doing that to every car I detail. Its a great moment to capture how excited the customer is seeing their car shine!
    Quote Originally Posted by K370Z View Post
    Joe
    How was the xtreme iron remover applied and cleaned off the surface?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Great question K370z, I washed and cleaned the wheels with a hose outside, and performed the rinseless wash inside. I will post a thread Monday on the wheel cleaning!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShineDoc View Post
    Very good work. Thanks a bunch for sharing this.
    Thanks for reading ShineDoc!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Great work! It does make me feel old though. I bought my first brand new car in 1977. The tag on the Jeep said "antique". Ouch.
    Thank You Carty, We are not getting old just more experienced!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I guess I have to get somre 360.
    Its good stuff Larry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast