autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

I would like to start off this thread by saying you learn from experience, What I am about to write are a series of mistakes that I made when I first started getting into machine polishing. I 100% Know that its impossible for anyone to realize all of this if they are a newbie. However alot of posts pop up on this very forum with novices making the very mistakes we all made when we started. If I had read a detailed write-up like this I would of looked at One-Steps totally different. So this is to help inform both the enthusiast and novice pro detailer.

Understanding What A All-In-One Polish Was Designed For

All-In-Ones were not designed to make Paint flawless/perfect! All-In-Ones were designed for Paint Enhancement not Paint Perfection, They were formulated to remove medium to light swirl marks while leaving a protected finish.

Do Not Try To Make Paint Perfect With A Mid-Grade Polish

This is one of the most common mistakes any newbie polisher makes, You do your first section pass, inspect still see damage go ahead and do another section pass, and another, and another. You are now completely defying the purpose of a All-In-One polish. Here is an analogy for using the right tool for the right job, If we wanted to dig a hole, And we had the option of a Shovel, Bobcat, or a Spoon, What would be your last choice? Obviously the spoon, Essentially this is what you are trying to do, Digging a hole with a spoon. If you want the most damage removal as possible use the right tool for the job, and that's compound!

The Least Aggressive Method

This is what we are all taught, This is what you read online, See on videos, But do you know it actually takes more skill to get alot of defect removal from a Mid-Grade/All-In-One Polish? It takes alot of experience to actually get a good amount of defect removal out of a All-In-One, It is actually still difficult for a newbie to make paint perfect using Compound + Polish so imagine how hard it is trying to make paint perfect with a Mid-Grade Polish. Even if the paint is soft chances are the novice still needs to do multiple passes to get satisfactory results.

Spending 10 Hours On a 1-Step

Doing this at a professional level, The quote comes up alot "Time Is Money" When I first started actually detailing for money, I would spent countless hours even on a simple one-step I was using the wrong product for the job. Once more, I was trying to dig a hole with a spoon. A All-In-One 1 step should not take any longer then 3 hours THIS DOES NOT MATTER ON SKILL SET OR EXPERIENCE! rather you never touched a machine polisher before or a veteran, If you are going to spend 10 hours + using a All-In-one you are making the job harder on your self, If you are going to spend 10 hours and still be disappointed with the amount of defect removal you got, You are now more than likely going to use a compound and follow behind it with polish. You now are working backwards.

Being Efficient

So how should you approach a All-in-One Job? A All-In-One was made to be FAST! that is why it's a "all in one" for time restraints. You can now polish and protect in one-step So if a customer is not willing to pay you for your time this is a way to accommodate to the customers budget. So Throw perfection or anywhere near perfection out the window! This does not mean you are not a skilled or a "hack" detailer. This means you are going to be enhancing gloss, removing light swirls and pleasing the customer (what they paid for). The general rule of All-In-Ones is (This will vary, Not every job situation is the same and it all depends on compensation and time) You want to do 1 buffing cycle, Never go back and re-peat to remove more damage, Whatever you get out of that first buffing cycle live with. Rather that is 30% defect removal or 70% defect removal. Move on to the next panel. If you are using a All-in-One the chances are very high the customer is not willing to compensate for a ton of time, Give the customer what they paid for! Value your craft.

Your Worst Buff Job Is Better Than The Local Car Wash's Best Buff Job!

We all see it, "3 stage Buff" $99 Dollars, In the earlier stages of my detailing career Where I kind of understood more about giving the customer what they paid for, In a sense I would sometimes actually feel bad performing these All-In-One 1 steps, Because I felt there was always room for improvement (defect removal wise) But as I started to get more work, And customers would bring their swirled out cars filled with holograms that they got "buffed" at the local car wash. I started to ask questions, How long did the car wash have the car? How much did they charge you? They would say 2-3 Hours and some would pay $150-200, It was then I realized that my worst buff job is better than any of the locals Best 3 stage buff job! So at that point I knew I can go around a car in 1-2 hours get more defect removal, more gloss, and leave no holograms. So I got alot more confident and proud of even my lowest level buff job.

PUT THE INSPECTION LIGHT AWAY!

I wish I learned this one way earlier in my career. Now when I perform 1-step All-In-One cleaner wax job, I will not even bring out a inspection light! Why? The inspection light is just going to get you in trouble, Let's face it We are all OCD about perfect paint. When you whip out that inspection light you are not going to like what you see.
    because:
    A: you know how to bring out the best in any paint.
    B: You are passionate about detailing and always want to do your best.

So after inspection you are going to see deep, scratches, stubborn water marks that need to be wet sanded out. And the perfectionist in you wants to go back to another pass to make it better, And this is defying the point of a One-step "production buff" causing you to be less time efficient/profitable.

This thread from Mike Phillips comes to mind The difference between a swirl and squirrel. A basic summary of the thread is Mike explaining that not everybody knows and cares about swirl-marks, So when people come in with daily drivers just use a All-in-one cleaner wax and make the car shine!

So while We might see this

(Deep scratches, pop marks, water etching)

This is what the customer is going to see after. And in the word's of Mike Phillips BIG PICTURE!
    (20 Year old car that has went through automatic car washes its entire life)

not everyone is cursed with the "swirl mark eye" and they just see shine. I can not count how many people I approach that have rotary swirls on their car and when I tell them I can remove/fix it they look at me like I am crazy asking "What are you talking about" So put the shine on the car and make the customer happy.

Don't Sell Showroom Paint Correction To A Daily Driver

This is another excellent
    quote from Mike Phillip's, This was one of the worst mistakes I made in my earlier stages, At a consultation with a potential customer interested in getting a Honda Odyssey van detailed, And Here I am babbling my mouth off about swirl marks, scratches, paint correction bringing out inspection lights showing scratches, And when the customer finds out the price for showroom paint correction that is not in there interest and budget. Now you explain about the All-In-One production buff service they seem interested at the price point of this package and now they ask about the swirl marks and damage you just showed them. You now explain that not all of the swirl marks will be removed deep scratches will remain and the customer is now looking like the fellow in the picture below.

The average person is not going to understand that there are different levels of machine polishing. They think if you get it buffed all the swirls and scratches should be gone not just 30% of them. You now educated and confused the customer all at the same time. When in reality if you would of offered the production buff at the start and said "Its going to shine like a diamond!" The customer would have booked the appointment!

I am going to be quoting Mike Phillips yet again (He kind of knows his stuff) The average person does not even know how to maintain showroom paint, Another eye opener for me was seeing a car 6 months later after I polished and "over delivered" paint correction wise, It was scratched and swirled out. I thought about all the hours, pads, time, and product I wasted when I could have just went around the car with a All-In-One and the customer would have seen the same difference. The average person can not tell a difference between 60% and 90% so why do the work when they do not appreciate what you did. Ask how they wash & maintain their if they say they love automatic car washes and they don't plan on changing anytime soon, You now know what package to offer them.

How To Do A Production Buff

Now that I went over the most common mistakes, Let's get into the real deal. A customer came in and wanted his 20 Year old BMW polished. It was looking faded/oxidized and he wanted it to shine. It has went through automatic car washes it's entire life and it had every defect you can name

Deep Water Mark Etching
    Bird Dropping Etching
    Deep Scratches
    Swirl Marks
    Oxidation
    Pop Marks
    Cracks
    Chips

Upon inspection I cringed, I knew that even if I was to wetsand and do a multi-stage polish it wasnt going to be worth the time and effort, So I matched a service to the car and customer. A All-In-One production buff using McKee's 37 360, I knew it would shine and gloss this car up and give the customer what they want SHINE. I never talked about swirl marks, scratches, Just gloss.

Let's Get Started!

Work Larger Panels

No 2x2 work section, More like whole panel! Once again this can vary depending on compensation and time, But I am giving the customer what they paid for. Here I am working McKee's 37 360 Untill it disappears, Once it disappears I wipe off and go to the next panel.

You can see how bad the damage really is on the car, Perfection or even 70% is not even realistic for this car. even a multi-step polish would not make this car perfect, So using a all-in-one was going to be a challenge, But with all mistakes I have made in the past, I now know how to properly handle this and feel great about it after!

Ok, Maybe an entire Panel is a stretch, However on the larger ones I would split them in half! Again my rule for this package is 1 buffing cycle that's it!

I split the hood in about 4 long sections.

Glass

Remember, I want to get this done fast, the customer is not compensating for a ton of time, And glass can be time consuming especially on a 20 year old car........ While I got the buffer out I polish the glass! This is going to clean, polish, and seal all in one step to save us a ton of time. This also is a over-deliver service by telling your customers that the glass was polished and sealed as well.

The glass looks flawless! and it took no time.

After Shots

I know what you are thinking, Joe you cant be serious, You just broke all the skilled detailer rules, While this might be true, Remember what we talked about above, That our worst buff job, Is still better than the local competitions best buff job. The customer had a budget, I satisfied (exceeded) His expectations and I did this all in time efficient fasion to maximize profit.

The customer approves, But we still have to pull it outside! Hopefully he still likes it.

This is what the customer sees, shine!

He loved it, He walked around the car multiple times, Took photos and sent it to his friends!

I hope this write-up helps some novices, Even if it helps 1 person It was worth writing, This is really solid information and I hope novices can learn from my earlier mistakes. The younger me Would of spent 2 days on this car compounding and polishing, And the sad part is, Even if I did polish this car for 2 days I would of probably maybe squeezed another 15-20 Percent more defect removal, And that is just not worth the time and effort.

While these type of jobs may not get you the glory and tons of likes on facebook, They are extremely profitable and fairly easy to do, And there is nothing like seeing a dramatic change in appearance after your done, The customers eye light up and makes you feel good.

McKee's 37 360 is one of the polishes I use the most, It is a complete people pleaser, money maker, and time saver. While there are a ton of All-In-Ones to choose on the market, None of them come close to the protection 360 leaves behind.

McKee's 37 360 All-In-One Polish

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Re: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

Knowing the customer. Very important.

I did a rinseless wash for a neighbor on a car I would not have done if it were my own car. His car was a swirled, scratched, filthy, and had some weird dark spill on a section. He wanted it to be cleaned and waxed. He just wanted a clean, shiny car.

Brought out ONRWW, with non-top-tier towels, and went to town. In the end, he was so happy with the outcome, he took it out for a cruise. (and to note, I didn't "hack" the job. I still did a careful wash. I don't want to add damage, after all)

Know the customer, and work with his/her budget.

Re: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

First off very good write up with proper credit given to sources quoted.

I am hobby detailer and only doing my own daily driver, so no profit margin involved snd I am my own "customer".

Howerever the points you make are very true, even for me.

Only been detailing 6 years, but when I started it was wax by hand.

Next was by rotary and cleaner wax.

Had I read your article back then, I would have got a PC and a AIO and probably stayed there.

How ever I had time and interest, so I went in and now cannot be satisfied with nothing less than show room.

On a DD it never lasts, but I keep trying.

For me I like trying different stuff and technique, so I learn.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Great write up Joe. That pretty well sums it up.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited
    2015 Pearl White Nissan Rogue SL, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR

Super Duper Moderator Pats300zx's Avatar

Great write up Joe. You brought out so many good points.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services

My 300zx Gallery
    My 350Z
    My 1967 Chevy II Nova

The big thumbs up great post and great job on the beeemerrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    I would like to start off this thread by saying you learn from experience, What I am about to write are a series of mistakes that I made when I first started getting into machine polishing. I 100% Know that its impossible for anyone to realize all of this if they are a newbie. However alot of posts pop up on this very forum with novices making the very mistakes we all made when we started. If I had read a detailed write-up like this I would of looked at One-Steps totally different. So this is to help inform both the enthusiast and novice pro detailer.

All-In-One Polish Was Designed For[/B][/SIZE]

All-In-Ones were not designed to make Paint flawless/perfect! All-In-Ones were designed for Paint Enhancement not Paint Perfection, They were formulated to remove medium to light swirl marks while leaving a protected finish.

Do Not Try To Make Paint Perfect With A Mid-Grade Polish

This is one of the most common mistakes any newbie polisher makes, You do your first section pass, inspect still see damage go ahead and do another section pass, and another, and another. You are now completely defying the purpose of a All-In-One polish. Here is an analogy for using the right tool for the right job, If we wanted to dig a hole, And we had the option of a Shovel, Bobcat, or a Spoon, What would be your last choice? Obviously the spoon, Essentially this is what you are trying to do, Digging a hole with a spoon. If you want the most damage removal as possible use the right tool for the job, and that's compound!

The Least Aggressive Method

This is what we are all taught, This is what you read online, See on videos, But do you know it actually takes more skill to get alot of defect removal from a Mid-Grade/All-In-One Polish? It takes alot of experience to actually get a good amount of defect removal out of a All-In-One, It is actually still difficult for a newbie to make paint perfect using Compound + Polish so imagine how hard it is trying to make paint perfect with a Mid-Grade Polish. Even if the paint is soft chances are the novice still needs to do multiple passes to get satisfactory results.

Spending 10 Hours On a 1-Step

Doing this at a professional level, The quote comes up alot "Time Is Money" When I first started actually detailing for money, I would spent countless hours even on a simple one-step I was using the wrong product for the job. Once more, I was trying to dig a hole with a spoon. A All-In-One 1 step should not take any longer then 3 hours THIS DOES NOT MATTER ON SKILL SET OR EXPERIENCE! rather you never touched a machine polisher before or a veteran, If you are going to spend 10 hours + using a All-In-one you are making the job harder on your self, If you are going to spend 10 hours and still be disappointed with the amount of defect removal you got, You are now more than likely going to use a compound and follow behind it with polish. You now are working backwards.

Being Efficient

So how should you approach a All-in-One Job? A All-In-One was made to be FAST! that is why it's a "all in one" for time restraints. You can now polish and protect in one-step So if a customer is not willing to pay you for your time this is a way to accommodate to the customers budget. So Throw perfection or anywhere near perfection out the window! This does not mean you are not a skilled or a "hack" detailer. This means you are going to be enhancing gloss, removing light swirls and pleasing the customer (what they paid for). The general rule of All-In-Ones is (This will vary, Not every job situation is the same and it all depends on compensation and time) You want to do 1 buffing cycle, Never go back and re-peat to remove more damage, Whatever you get out of that first buffing cycle live with. Rather that is 30% defect removal or 70% defect removal. Move on to the next panel. If you are using a All-in-One the chances are very high the customer is not willing to compensate for a ton of time, Give the customer what they paid for! Value your craft.

Your Worst Buff Job Is Better Than The Local Car Wash's Best Buff Job!

We all see it, "3 stage Buff" $99 Dollars, In the earlier stages of my detailing career Where I kind of understood more about giving the customer what they paid for, In a sense I would sometimes actually feel bad performing these All-In-One 1 steps, Because I felt there was always room for improvement (defect removal wise) But as I started to get more work, And customers would bring their swirled out cars filled with holograms that they got "buffed" at the local car wash. I started to ask questions, How long did the car wash have the car? How much did they charge you? They would say 2-3 Hours and some would pay $150-200, It was then I realized that my worst buff job is better than any of the locals Best 3 stage buff job! So at that point I knew I can go around a car in 1-2 hours get more defect removal, more gloss, and leave no holograms. So I got alot more confident and proud of even my lowest level buff job.

PUT THE INSPECTION LIGHT AWAY!

I wish I learned this one way earlier in my career. Now when I perform 1-step All-In-One cleaner wax job, I will not even bring out a inspection light! Why? The inspection light is just going to get you in trouble, Let's face it We are all OCD about perfect paint. When you whip out that inspection light you are not going to like what you see.
    because:
    A: you know how to bring out the best in any paint.
    B: You are passionate about detailing and always want to do your best.

So after inspection you are going to see deep, scratches, stubborn water marks that need to be wet sanded out. And the perfectionist in you wants to go back to another pass to make it better, And this is defying the point of a One-step "production buff" causing you to be less time efficient/profitable.

This thread from Mike Phillips comes to mind The difference between a swirl and squirrel. A basic summary of the thread is Mike explaining that not everybody knows and cares about swirl-marks, So when people come in with daily drivers just use a All-in-one cleaner wax and make the car shine!

So while We might see this

(Deep scratches, pop marks, water etching)

This is what the customer is going to see after. And in the word's of Mike Phillips BIG PICTURE!
    (20 Year old car that has went through automatic car washes its entire life)

not everyone is cursed with the "swirl mark eye" and they just see shine. I can not count how many people I approach that have rotary swirls on their car and when I tell them I can remove/fix it they look at me like I am crazy asking "What are you talking about" So put the shine on the car and make the customer happy.

Don't Sell Showroom Paint Correction To A Daily Driver

This is another excellent
    quote from Mike Phillip's, This was one of the worst mistakes I made in my earlier stages, At a consultation with a potential customer interested in getting a Honda Odyssey van detailed, And Here I am babbling my mouth off about swirl marks, scratches, paint correction bringing out inspection lights showing scratches, And when the customer finds out the price for showroom paint correction that is not in there interest and budget. Now you explain about the All-In-One production buff service they seem interested at the price point of this package and now they ask about the swirl marks and damage you just showed them. You now explain that not all of the swirl marks will be removed deep scratches will remain and the customer is now looking like the fellow in the picture below.

The average person is not going to understand that there are different levels of machine polishing. They think if you get it buffed all the swirls and scratches should be gone not just 30% of them. You now educated and confused the customer all at the same time. When in reality if you would of offered the production buff at the start and said "Its going to shine like a diamond!" The customer would have booked the appointment!

I am going to be quoting Mike Phillips yet again (He kind of knows his stuff) The average person does not even know how to maintain showroom paint, Another eye opener for me was seeing a car 6 months later after I polished and "over delivered" paint correction wise, It was scratched and swirled out. I thought about all the hours, pads, time, and product I wasted when I could have just went around the car with a All-In-One and the customer would have seen the same difference. The average person can not tell a difference between 60% and 90% so why do the work when they do not appreciate what you did. Ask how they wash & maintain their if they say they love automatic car washes and they don't plan on changing anytime soon, You now know what package to offer them.

How To Do A Production Buff

Now that I went over the most common mistakes, Let's get into the real deal. A customer came in and wanted his 20 Year old BMW polished. It was looking faded/oxidized and he wanted it to shine. It has went through automatic car washes it's entire life and it had every defect you can name

Deep Water Mark Etching
    Bird Dropping Etching
    Deep Scratches
    Swirl Marks
    Oxidation
    Pop Marks
    Cracks
    Chips

Upon inspection I cringed, I knew that even if I was to wetsand and do a multi-stage polish it wasnt going to be worth the time and effort, So I matched a service to the car and customer. A All-In-One production buff using McKee's 37 360, I knew it would shine and gloss this car up and give the customer what they want SHINE. I never talked about swirl marks, scratches, Just gloss.

Let's Get Started!

Work Larger Panels

No 2x2 work section, More like whole panel! Once again this can vary depending on compensation and time, But I am giving the customer what they paid for. Here I am working McKee's 37 360 Untill it disappears, Once it disappears I wipe off and go to the next panel.

You can see how bad the damage really is on the car, Perfection or even 70% is not even realistic for this car. even a multi-step polish would not make this car perfect, So using a all-in-one was going to be a challenge, But with all mistakes I have made in the past, I now know how to properly handle this and feel great about it after!

Ok, Maybe an entire Panel is a stretch, However on the larger ones I would split them in half! Again my rule for this package is 1 buffing cycle that's it!

I split the hood in about 4 long sections.

Glass

Remember, I want to get this done fast, the customer is not compensating for a ton of time, And glass can be time consuming especially on a 20 year old car........ While I got the buffer out I polish the glass! This is going to clean, polish, and seal all in one step to save us a ton of time. This also is a over-deliver service by telling your customers that the glass was polished and sealed as well.

The glass looks flawless! and it took no time.

After Shots

I know what you are thinking, Joe you cant be serious, You just broke all the skilled detailer rules, While this might be true, Remember what we talked about above, That our worst buff job, Is still better than the local competitions best buff job. The customer had a budget, I satisfied (exceeded) His expectations and I did this all in time efficient fasion to maximize profit.

The customer approves, But we still have to pull it outside! Hopefully he still likes it.

This is what the customer sees, shine!

He loved it, He walked around the car multiple times, Took photos and sent it to his friends!

I hope this write-up helps some novices, Even if it helps 1 person It was worth writing, This is really solid information and I hope novices can learn from my earlier mistakes. The younger me Would of spent 2 days on this car compounding and polishing, And the sad part is, Even if I did polish this car for 2 days I would of probably maybe squeezed another 15-20 Percent more defect removal, And that is just not worth the time and effort.

While these type of jobs may not get you the glory and tons of likes on facebook, They are extremely profitable and fairly easy to do, And there is nothing like seeing a dramatic change in appearance after your done, The customers eye light up and makes you feel good.

McKee's 37 360 is one of the polishes I use the most, It is a complete people pleaser, money maker, and time saver. While there are a ton of All-In-Ones to choose on the market, None of them come close to the protection 360 leaves behind.

McKee's 37 360 All-In-One Polish

Hope you guys enjoyed!
    Awesome write up! Thankyou for posting this!

My OCD and Perfectionism Eats me up every time. Thankyou for relieving me of that, I'm going to clip this article up on my bulletin board.

I was hoping to still see the spot light at the end just to see how many swirls were left even though it left a great shine. Great write up

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GREAT STUFF!!!

As much as I'd love to 3 step my car twice a year, here are some cold, hard facts for me:

I don't have a super car. I have two daily drivers that are big (crew cab truck and a full size SUV). My truck sits outside and the wife works at a hospital. I also hunt, and use my truck as a truck fairly often. It gets scratched. My wife's car comes home with new dings almost monthly.

I have a full time job, and two kids in diapers. 8 hours to do a full detail is a hard sell.

I don't need perfection. I need protection. I didn't have a nice car until I was well into my 30s. I've worked hard for what I have, and I like that my car looks better than 70% of the vehicles in the lot at work. I'm confident enough with my work that I can say that my explorer will look as good or better than half of the cars at the monthly car show at the church down the street.

I've done maybe 10 cars in the last 2 years since I purchased my DA. I've used a couple AIOs, and I've done one 3 step and a couple 2 step corrections. What I've come to discover is that there is a serious law of diminishing returns. Ok, if I had a mid 60s C-10 with an LS motor, lowered an inch with some Cragar 5 spokes and a beautiful paint job that I drove to car shows on Saturday night, I'd be 3 stepping it once a year, and babying it. The simple fact is, I don't have that, nor do I have time for that.

AIOs like McKee's 360, and HD Speed are a fantastic alternative for the busy hobbyist, or someone who just wants to turn heads in the hardware store lot on Saturday morning.
    mrken1 and adamgayton81 like this.

Junior Member Artisan Detailing's Avatar

This is exactly what I ended gravitating too as a new detailer. Thanks for the details!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast