autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

Re: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

Great write up. Nicely done. Phil

Re: How To Discipline Your Self On All-In-One 1-Step Polishes and Maximize Your Profits/Time Efficiency

Thanks for the write up, Joe!

Just reading his article saved me years of trial and error! Thank you!

Tom

I noticed on my Mckee's 360 AIO bottle says that uses a chemical cleaner, and in other AIOs they might have light abrasives.

Does this mean that 360 will not clean as well as AIO's that contain light abrasives?

Great post. Unfortunately, this article was not written 3-4 years ago when I got into detailing, but I have arrived at the same conclusions over time. I'm not a pro. I allow myself to fuss over my car, family gets an AIO.

FANTASTIC article, Joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar

Very nice article Joe, and thank you for sharing some of the information I've shared over the years by giving due credit where credit is due. This is something I've always practiced but I'm sad to say I rarely see others do. So it's very refreshing to read your article and see that you referenced some of my work.

After reading through your article I thought I would interject one thing to kind of really tie together the BIG PICTURE and that's the idea I shared in this similar article that never really had the right title.

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

I should have titled it more about the importance of choosing and using a cleaner/wax for the majority of work a detailer or even a car owner performs. Heck I use a one-step cleaner/wax on my own daily driver and I have access to all the cool new and exotic last step products, or LSPs.

The point of the above article and I think the bigger picture you're sharing in your article is that it's easy, especially for new detailers, to go overboard and go overboard on every car they detail. By this I mean investing the time, energy and detailing resources to do show car detailing (multiple-step procedures like compounding, polishing and then waxing), when the right thing to do is use a one-step cleaner/wax.

Most people, like I mention in the squirell article, own daily drivers, not super cars, or classics, tuners, streetrods, etc. The car they are going to detail or they are going to pay to have detailed is their daily driver or in slang terms, their Grocery Getter.

These people are not educated on all the new technology available for car detailing including,

• Iron removers
    • Foam Guns
    • Clay towels, pads and mitts
    • Compound/polishes
    • Long stroke orbital polishers
    • Thin foam pads
    • Microfiber pads
    • Ceramic coatings

Etc., etc., etc....

They also don't want to make car detailing their new found hobby.

Most people only want 4 things and they probably don't even know they want these 4 things. All they know is they want their car clean and they don't want to do it.

Here's the 4 things most people want,

1. Shiny Paint
    2. Clear Glass
    3. Black Tires
    4. Fresh Clean Interior

And the big picture concept is for doing this type of car detailing is to find and learn how to correctly use a quality one-step cleaner/wax. It also means not overpromising to remove each and every swirl and scratch out of the paint. I actually cover this in my three day detailing class on Saturday when the class learns how to correctly do what I call,

High Quality Production Detailing

The good news due to advancements in abrasive technology, pad technology and tool technology using only a one-step cleaner/wax a person can turn out not only professional quality work in one step they can turn out AMAZING RESULTS in one step.

Very nice article Joe and I believe that many people will read this moving into the future and benefit from the wisdom you've shared.

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar

Also just to comment...

As you've probably discovered, taking a leadership position by writing how-to articles is powerful.

You take on the responsibility to do your research to make sure your information is accurate. By this I mean anyone anywhere should be able to read what you've written and then take the information out into their garage and put it into practice and get the same results you experience. This type of writing or communicating is an art form.

I see a LOT of experts in the car detailing world but the majority of them don't write. Sure they write a few sentences with their thumb on Facebook but they don't type out and correctly format a REAL how-to article in medium that will endure over time that can be read and benefited from thousands of people over time. Facebook simply doesn't work for a real how-to article. A discussion forum like this does work.

I recently met someone that said some day they would like to take my place. I asked them if they had ever written any how-to articles? They said "no". I asked them if they had ever read any of my articles and they said, "I don't read much". Yeah... this guy isn't taking my place.

There's a saying that goes like this,

Readers are leaders

I've always believed that. But if readers are leaders... what does that make the person that does the writing that leaders read?

Artisan Detailing likes this.
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Awesome write up my man! I still to this day have to tell my self that this car is a daily driver and give them what they are paying for. Its hard to do when you are a perfectionist.
    adamgayton81 likes this.

Joe--great article!

I do have to take exception to one thing, and we got into this in another thread, when you suggest that even someone who has never touched a polisher is taking too long if they go over three hours...that may be true in a class environment, but I think it unnecessarily puts pressure on a newb working by himself in his driveway. It's fine to set an expectation that once you've done it a few times you should be able to do it in 3 hours, but I wouldn't want to feel I had done something "wrong" if the first time took me 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I recently met someone that said some day they would like to take my place. I asked them if they had ever written any how-to articles? They said "no". I asked them if they had ever read any of my articles and they said, "I don't read much". Yeah... this guy isn't taking my place.
    Now THAT is a funny story!
    JustJesus likes this.

Get rid of the inspection light..it will be touch but as you say Joe...discipline yourself

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline
    Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast