autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video - TOPICAL Glass Polishing - the oppositie of Sub-Surface Glass Polishing

LIVE Detailing Class Today at 3:00pm Eastern Time!

I saved a couple of section to polish from this windshield I used for a glass polishing class at Southern Detailing Conference in Kentucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LIVE Detailing Class Today at 3:00pm Eastern Time!

You said you can get the film off inside of the windows too, but if you have tint is it still safe or is that to aggressive for the tint, I finially got to watch I was training my back up at work

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklightn25 View Post

You said you can get the film off inside of the windows too, but if you have tint is it still safe or is that to aggressive for the tint,

Thanks for asking for clarification.

Using ANY glass polish on interior "film" tinted windows would be a no-no. Don't do it. What I'm talking about is for polishing interior glass only like you see here,

Machine Sanding Glass - Do NOT do this!

The inside of the windshield also had a film on it. Here's some education.

Sometimes you can remove a FILM using a liquid, as in a liquid glass cleaner. Sometimes you need to use a glass-safe polish. And that's what I did.

Topical versus Sub-Surface Glass Polishing

The BLACKFIRE Water Spot Remover is for cleaning and removing TOPICAL stains off the surface of glass. It is NOT for removing scratches IN the glass. For my purpose, it worked perfect. If you have scratches, wiper marks or swirls IN glass you need a glass polish that contains Cerium Oxide. Remember that. So many experts on YouTube and Facebook always telling me, any old polish will work. What they have done is shared with me their "knowledge level".

This is real simple folks... use a microfiber applicator pad and then contort yourself to get the job done.

BOOM!

Crystal Clear Glass!

And most important - crystal clear glass for the DRIVER.

Now to finish the job. I use the PBL Surface Coating, my favorite glass coating for both the inside and the outside. Sorry no pictures of me applying it to the outside as no one was around when I did the work.

Here's the final results...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklightn25 View Post

You said you can get the film off inside of the windows too,

But if you have tint - is it still safe or is that to aggressive for the tint?

Here's another example of where I hand polished the INSIDE of glass to remove a FILM when a normal LIQUID glass cleaner will not work.

From page 3 and 4 of the below write-up...

Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 - Detailed by Mike Phillips

Polish the outside by hand or machine first - then the inside of the windshield by hand.

Now that’s clean!

This old 2-door Ford came out pretty nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video - TOPICAL Glass Polishing - the oppositie of Sub-Surface Glass Polishing

Mike,

I do not have a "glass polish" but I would like to clean the interior glass, I do have Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on hand, would that be a safe product to use on the interior glass?

Thank you,
    Jay

Mike Phillips

Re: Video - TOPICAL Glass Polishing - the oppositie of Sub-Surface Glass Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Mike,

I do not have a "glass polish" but I would like to clean the interior glass, I do have Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on hand, would that be a safe product to use on the interior glass?

Thank you,
    Jay

Yes. Being that is a "fine" cut polish, it will be super NON-aggressive but should work. It will defiantly be more aggressive than just a liquid glass cleaner. If you have one, use a microfiber applicator pad of some sort like I show in the pictures above. The "fibers" give the abrasives a little more bite.

Then clean afterwards with your favorite glass cleaner.