autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learn to machine sand TODAY! LIVE Detailing Class at 3:00pm Eastern Time

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

... The only other thing I'd like to see, in an effort to refine my analysis, is what the range of measurements taken today is. The range of the "before" measurements taken yesterday was 18.1 to 19.2 mils. If I knew today's range I could refine my analysis using averages rather than a single data point and doing so could provide an even clearer "real-world" picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow! I see you have a touch of engineer and the resulting insanity in your nature as do I LOL.

Great job and I couldn't have done it any better myself.

Your results show that the material removed during the compounding and polishing steps is even less than my earlier "guestimates". For the sanding step my "guestimate" was low (but your experiment was a 3-step sanding process where the video was only a single step).

This is even better news than I speculated earlier for anyone concerned with removing too much paint during polishing.

Mike Phillips

Wow! I see you have a touch of engineer and the resulting insanity in your nature as do I LOL.

Happy to say I've overcome OCDness. I've replaced it with laziness and I don't careness.

Great job and I couldn't have done it any better myself.

Your results show that the material removed during the compounding and polishing steps is even less than my earlier "guestimates". For the sanding step my "guestimate" was low (but your experiment was a 3-step sanding process where the video was only a single step).

This is even better news than I speculated earlier for anyone concerned with removing too much paint during polishing.

Like I tell people wondering and worried about removing too much paint. As long as you're using great abrasive technology and not doing stupid stuff - removing too much paint "for most people" is the least of their concerns. And if they're NEW to machine polishing - then removing ENOUGH paint (to actually remove the defects), is actually their real concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, in this live demo, you used the Flex CBeast with a 7-inch Rupes pad. I thought I had read somewhere else on the forum (the search is failing me, but I swear it was one of your posts) that you did not recommend going above the 5 inch backing plate for the CBeast. If so, how did you use a 7-inch pad? Or maybe the advice was "old" advice and you've changed your mind?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by muaddba View Post

Mike, in this live demo, you used the Flex CBeast with a 7-inch Rupes pad. I thought I had read somewhere else on the forum (the search is failing me, but I swear it was one of your posts) that you did not recommend going above the 5 inch backing plate for the CBeast. If so, how did you use a 7-inch pad?
    When the CBEAST first came out, I had a hard time finding larger pads that worked well with the machine. AND I had a history and a tendency to use the thick Lake Country Force Hybrid pads with the original BEAST so I naturally tried these with the CBEAST and while "yes" they do work - I found it was just too much pad or volume of pad for this cordless tool.

The Lake Country Force Hybrid in both 6.5 and 5.5" versions are also not the "optimum" shape for any of the beast tools. Again these pads work on these tools but a more tapered pad design works better.

Or maybe the advice was "old" advice and you've changed your mind?

Sometimes we find our thoughts about a topic undergoes an evolution. This can be for a number of reasons, for example spending more time with a tool or product or perhaps new technology is introduced to cause us to change how we do things and also how we think about things.

When RUPES introduced their new CP foam pads I began using them on the entire family of BEAST tools and I found I really liked the yellow and white pads for these tool. There's a tick of social business pressure to show RUPES pads on RUPES tools as well as show RUPES chemicals with RUPES pads and tools and I do this in all my car detailing classes. But at the risk of getting frowned upon by RUPES folks for using thier pads on FLEX tools, (a tick of a social faux pas), because they work so well and feel so right for the BEAST tools my thinking has undergone an evolution.

I now PREFER the 6" backing plate and 7" pads on the BEAST, Supa BEAST and CBEAST tools. I not only like the RUPES CP foam pads but I also like the B&S Uro-Tech pads on the FLEX BEAST Family of tools. And also just to mention, for more aggressive cutting with the BEAST tools, I also like the 7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad.

These pads,

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

The foam core helps smooth out the "felt action" of the tool to you as you hold and buff with the tool.

What I always find interesting is when I post about specific pads or things like microfiber towels and give "good" explanations as to why I like them and use them - the next thing I see is these thing empty out off the shelves in the warehouse. I take my recommendations seriously, I know people trust what I say.

Hope the above makes sense and helps.

Mike Phillips

Mike, in this live demo, you used the Flex CBeast with a 7-inch Rupes pad.

I know the world doesn't hang on every word I type, so in case you missed this recent article, here's the link.

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

And here's a related article,

Supa BEAST and CBEAST Backing Plate Swap by Mike Phillips

And for what it's worth, when typing out the spelling of the word beast - it's all capital letters.

BEAST - FLEX 3401
    Supa BEAST - new corded version of the 3401
    CBEAST - cordless version of the new 3401

And for everyone reading this into the future - FLEX is DISCONTINUING the original XC 3401 VRG polisher. In fact, they are no longer shipping to many countries. So if you want one - better get one while you can. And here some sage advice.

If you purchase the original BEAST - I'd highly recommend getting a couple back-up backing plates. READ this carefully,

BACKING PLATES ARE WEAR ITEMS!

That's right, the velcro hooks wear-out from being stretched each time you remove a pad and the form intercore on these backing plates also breaks down. It's just a natural process just like you and me are in a state of contually breaking down.

The tool will be useless without a good backing plate and the BEAST backing plate is UNIQUE and SPECIFIC to the BEAST. There are no other options that fit and work.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks for this explanation. Sadly, it seems I had found some older threads when searching for recommended pads (and backing plates) for the CBEAST (capitalization correction noted), and bought based on them. Those pads (5.5" LC Force Hybrid in Orange and White) will be arriving today from my 20% off order I placed last week. I actually had the 5.75" backing plate in my cart and removed it based on the unfortunately outdated advice I found. Will I get less satisfactory performance out of this setup? Should I attempt a return of the pads and order the Rupes pads with the appropriate backing plate?

And if I could be so bold....if you think I should attempt to adjust my order, could you link to the correct backing plate so I am sure I get the right thing? EDIT: Crap, I found the link for it in your other post, and it's out of stock. Hopefully it will be back in stock soon.

Mike Phillips

Will I get less satisfactory performance out of this setup?

Should I attempt a return of the pads and order the Rupes pads with the appropriate backing plate?

If it's possible - I would opt for the larger backing plate and the RUPES pads. The 5.5" LC pads will work though, just feels kind of wonky to me as I'm buffing. It's a case of the tool has a ton of power, now you need a pad approach that enables you to best use the power.

And if I could be so bold....if you think I should attempt to adjust my order, could you link to the correct backing plate so I am sure I get the right thing?

EDIT: Crap, I found the link for it in your other post, and it's out of stock. Hopefully it will be back in stock soon.
    Here's a better option - get the 6" RUPES yellow and white foam pads and they will turn and churn great on the factory 5" backing plate.

For a cutting pad, go with either one of the Buff and Shine foam cutting pads, probably the maroon colored one, it's fairly aggressive. If it's now aggressive enough then might as well go with the RUPES microfiber in 6"

Trying my best to help... with 49,685 posts on this forum, it's impossible to update everything I've written.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks for the info, and I do apologize if you felt I was annoyed at you....it was really more being annoyed at my own search results.

Mike Phillips

Mike, thanks for the info, and I do apologize if you felt I was annoyed at you....it was really more being annoyed at my own search results.

I didn't feel that way so no worries - I feel your pain when it comes to doing research and making the right choices.

If you find any thread where I'm still sharing my initial thoughts on backing plates and pads - share here and I'll update it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123