autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Headlight Correction LIVE Detailing Class - Machine Sanding vs Only Buffing

This is classes #29 since we started these LIVE detailing classes.

29: Headlight Repair - Sanding, Buffing or Both?

Mike and Yancy are back and will be getting to the bottom of headlight repair. Do you need to sand?? Can you just buff with a compound?

The guys will answer this question and help you see the light… Pun intended!

We go live in about 15 minutes

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Keep in mind, this is a 2004 Toyota Corolla.

That makes the car and the headlights 17 years old as of the day I'm typing this write-up. 10-30-2020, 04:56 PM

Here's headlights before

Here's the headlights after

Both headlights have crazing or cracking that is actually in or throughout the layer of plastic that makes of the lens. Nothing will fix this outside of replacing the old headlights with new headlights.

Good enough for another 17 years!

Mike Phillips

Re: Headlight Correction LIVE Detailing Class - Machine Sanding vs Only Buffing

Added the after shots...

Did anyone watch this LIVE class?

Like?

Dislike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Good enough for another 17 years!
    It's just another 2 years on the driver's side with the Griot's kit. Remember?

After 2 years, is that likely going through the whole process again with resanding or just respraying if it hasn't yellowed?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post

It's just another 2 years on the driver's side with the Griot's kit. Remember?

I was thinking more of the BIG PICTURE - in that, these headlights lasted 17 years without ANY maintenance and without any further maintenance it's possible they could "last" another 17 years, I don't mean they would "look good" for another 17 years - they would likely look like they did after the first 17 years - BUT - they were still existing.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post

After 2 years, is that likely going through the whole process again with resanding or just respraying if it hasn't yellowed?
    Probably. Rod Kraft from Griot's told me they've seen up to 3 years with their coating but that all comes down to like I aways say about coatings, waxes and sealants, how long ANYTHING lasts depends on how it's "touched" and of course stored.

But yeah, like I stated in the beginning of the video - the FACTORY appearance of the plastic doesn't last forever so nothing "we collectively" spray out of a can, pour out of a bottle, etc. is going to outlast factory orginal resin or "plastic".

I'm looking forward to my next classic Blazer with old school glass headlights. I was off on the $5.00 price I mentioned in the video, they're up to $12.00 now at NAPA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Probably. Rod Kraft from Griot's told me they've seen up to 3 years with their coating but that all comes down to like I aways say about coatings, waxes and sealants, how long ANYTHING lasts depends on how it's "touched" and of course stored.
    Thanks for the info. 3 years is pretty good. I'll keep this kit in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I watched the entire time and it was a good session. But I know Mike was satisfied with the polishing results, but for me it needed sanding. The sanded side looked so much better that the passenger side (polish only). But I am biased toward sanding anytime I see headlights with that much yellowed plastic.

Thanks to Mike's teaching these techniques in his classes, I have done most with the sanding technique. Once they have started to craze or show the interior cracking, no process will clear that up except buying new units. But you can bring back 'clear eyes' with the methods Mike demo'd in the live class on YouTube.

I wish I could do more of these type of small detail jobs, seeing headlights like those drive me almost do the job in parking lots. AG-store has so many options but the Meguiar's kits are easily the best in terms of price for the DIY'er.

As to long term protection, my dollars are on PPF over that plastic. That way you get protection from rock chips, bug splats, and UV to last until you replace the film. I have used two coatings, Optimum and McKee's, and they will do the job for the short-term. Nothing is perfect and will last but better to do something rather than live with ugly lights.

9. Likes mc2hill liked this post