autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches

How to machine polish glass to remove pits, wiper marks and scratches

Remember - we do these LIVE classes every Thursday at 3:00pm Eastern Time

YouTube - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

Facebook - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

Autogeek.com - The products showcased are also on this page

Or watch right here on the forum in this thread or the bottom of the forum homepage

Simply refresh your screen at 3:00pm

Here's what we'll be using and showcasing!

You can use dang near any polisher that will make a pad go a round and a round....

LINKS to get the stuff I used in the video

CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish 150 ml - little bottle

CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish 500 ml. - BIG bottle - this is what I was using

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad – 5 Inch 2 Pack

Griots Garage BOSS 5.5 inch Innerflex Pad

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More info....

Here's our training car with scads of wiper marks over the entire windshield. This is a 2004 Toyota Corolla LE

I've polished a lot of glass in my life and while this might not be the worst windshield I've worked on it's definitely in the running.

I'll be showing how to remove the scratches with the following tools,

1. Rotary Polisher
    2. Short stroke polisher
    3. Long stroke polisher
    4. Gear-driven polisher

Most important - I'll share the Number #1 Safety Tip I have when it comes to polishing scratches out of glass.

Tune in at 3:00pm Thursday, September 3rd

Mike Phillips

Re: LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches

bump:

All set-up and ready to go live in 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches

More...

Here's a close-up of the before and after along the tape-line.

And that tape-line is pretty much right through the middle of the section you see here with the florescent tube lights reflecting in the glass.

Now follow me....

In the video I said that normally I would buff each quadrant HARD for around 30 minutes. That means 2 HOURS minimum to buff out 4 quadrant or the entire windshield.

How difficult and how long it takes depends on HOW DEEP the scratches are. And when it came to this specific windshield the scratches were deep and everywhere. In fact I said that in the first post of this thread before we started.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I've polished a lot of glass in my life and while this might not be the worst windshield I've worked on it's definitely in the running.

I buffed the section for 20 minutes - taking a break at the 10 minute mark. As you look at the results above it's easy to see I did not remove 100% of the scratches. BUT I REMOVED MOST OF THEM.

The first scratches to buff out will be the SHALLOW scratches, same things when you buff car paint. Anything that remains is DEEPER.

Question: To finish the job and remove 100% of all the scratches what do you do?

Answer: You simply buff longer.

It's really that simple. It's just a matter of LEVELING the surface. You abrade the surface until you level the upper most portion of the surface with the lowest depths of the defects you're trying to remove. Had I buffed HARD for another 10 minutes - to make a total of 30 minutes, (like I said I normally do), you could of and would of removed 99% of the scratches.

We have to be sensitive to how long we make people watch paint dry or grass grow when shooting these videos or people drop-off.

Any forum members watch?

Comments?

Post Thanks / Like

I watched most of it. Good job! Reminds me of the time I tried to polish out a scratch in glass but without good results. You polished a lot longer than me though and with a much more advanced product.

The video showed how tough polishing glass scratches can be. The pros should charge accordingly.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Any forum members watch?

Comments?

I had to miss this (and the previous) because of working as a machinist to keep the rest of the shop working with the parts I'm making.

I bought all of the best of products in the largest sizes for this project including a Rupes 21 because I want to restore clarity in my windshield on my 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S because good vision is important to precision driving and safety. I've been buying everything in the largest sizes and quantities to learn on my car and then use these skills as an occasional side job.

Is there any way I can watch this in the future?

I sure made a mess with splatter everywhere last time I tried this and the flaws in the glass were mostly still there after a lot of work.

I'm wondering if I should buy a new windshield or if I was doing it so wrong that I should try again after watching this video I missed if possible to see it later.

I'm just not available Thursday afternoons.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I watched this evening. As usual, great info. I think the most valuable take away for me was the investment doing this will take. I bet you would use a half bottle of the abrasive for the entire windshield, the pads aren't cheap, and a couple of hours of intense work is what one has to look forward to in order to do the job right. If a piece of glass is that scratched, either replacement is in order, or I am going to need to charge WAY more than I would have guessed.

Thanks for spending the time to put these together. Always valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you guys are probably going to have to charge up to the point where it’s cheaper to just replace.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Yep, you guys are probably going to have to charge up to the point where it’s cheaper to just replace.
    I have zero deductable on glass. I catch enough rocks that new glass is a biyearly event..... but like anyone reading this forum, we take care of our cars and address issues when they come up.

Mike's mention of rust under glass is a big deal for cars in the north or on the coast.

This picture is my wife's Lexus which was only about 5-6 years old then the original windshield was replaced.

The winter road salt splashing, gets behind the so called "sealed" in glass and this is what you get. I washed it weekly in the winter.

They came back a week later for the install after I treated the metal and fiber-glassed in the rot. We never had the windshield out again the the 10 years after this that she owned it.

LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches-imgp3497-jpg

Mike Phillips

I watched most of it. Good job! Reminds me of the time I tried to polish out a scratch in glass but without good results. You polished a lot longer than me though and with a much more advanced product.

The video showed how tough polishing glass scratches can be.

Yeperdoo - it's hard work. That's why most of the people that have asked me how to do it and then

The pros should charge accordingly.
    Agree. I tell detailers to aim for $100.00 per hour for their business model no matter what they are doing. People/customers need to learn to pay and appreciate what a professional detailer can do for them, just like people pay and appreciate what a professional Plumber can do for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald H Levine View Post

I had to miss this (and the previous) because of working as a machinist to keep the rest of the shop working with the parts I'm making.

I bought all of the best of products in the largest sizes for this project including a Rupes 21 because I want to restore clarity in my windshield on my 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S because good vision is important to precision driving and safety. I've been buying everything in the largest sizes and quantities to learn on my car and then use these skills as an occasional side job.

Is there any way I can watch this in the future?
    Yes.

The video is ALWAYS in this thread you are typing in. Look at the top of the first post in this thread and ALL the threads I create for our LIVE classes.

I sure made a mess with splatter everywhere last time I tried this and the flaws in the glass were mostly still there after a lot of work.
    And note how I taped-off and covered everything up. Been there done that and never doing it again. "it" meaning cleaning up the mess because I didn't tape-off and cover-up.

I'm wondering if I should buy a new windshield or if I was doing it so wrong that I should try again after watching this video I missed if possible to see it later.

I'm just not available Thursday afternoons.

Thanks!
    Your choice. My comment in the video is if you're working on a NEW car then it's cheap and easy to have the windshield replaced.

If you're working on a classic car - even if it's easier to get a new windshield the ACT of removing the original windshield may expose RUST and CANCER in the sheet metal around the window frame and now you just turned replacing the windshield in your car into a FULL body-off restoration in order to remove ALL the rust in the car.

Again your decisions - I guess it depends on what your working on. Re-watch the video and you'll hear me explain all the various realities of doing this type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post

Mike,

I watched this evening. As usual, great info. I think the most valuable take away for me was the investment doing this will take. I bet you would use a half bottle of the abrasive for the entire windshield, the pads aren't cheap, and a couple of hours of intense work is what one has to look forward to in order to do the job right.

If a piece of glass is that scratched, either replacement is in order, or I am going to need to charge WAY more than I would have guessed.

Thanks for spending the time to put these together. Always valuable.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. So many people READ but never say or type anything.

Now days I find this very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post

I have zero deductable on glass. I catch enough rocks that new glass is a biyearly event..... but like anyone reading this forum, we take care of our cars and address issues when they come up.
    Yup - lots of people simply get the windshield replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post

Mike's mention of rust under glass is a big deal for cars in the north or on the coast.

This picture is my wife's Lexus which was only about 5-6 years old then the original windshield was replaced.

The winter road salt splashing, gets behind the so called "sealed" in glass and this is what you get. I washed it weekly in the winter.

They came back a week later for the install after I treated the metal and fiber-glassed in the rot.

We never had the windshield out again the the 10 years after this that she owned it.

Thank you for taking the time to share the above John. And even more - thank you for taking the time to vindicate what I said in the LIVE detailing class with this picture of RUST or CANCER around the windshield.

I completely understand why for most people it's faster and easier and a lot less muscle pain to simply have glass replaced.

But for some - depending upon the car - if a person doesn't have the budget to do a frame-off, rotisserie restoration of their 1967 Chevelle - then for these people, sometime it makes better sense to polish the glass and let the next caretaker of the classic car be the person to dump a ton of money into a full restoration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast