autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches

A good idea to mention that I did not hear. For the newer cars on the market with ADAS features that use the windshield I would not recommend any polishing on the glass.

Mike Phillips

Re: LIVE Detailing Class - Polishing GLASS to remove Pits, Wiper Marks & Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post

A good idea to mention that I did not hear.

For the newer cars on the market with ADAS features that use the windshield I would not recommend any polishing on the glass.

Good point but... I did some research on ADAS Glass and could find NOTHING about the exterior surface being sensitive to anything. Anything would include wiper arms rubbing over them for years, etc.

While I am not an expert and I would LOVE it if someone else would do the research on this topic to keep us ALL safe, my guess is the sensors are behind the outer layer of glass and probably also behind the inner layer of glass and likely sandwiched in-between the two separate layers of glass. That would also make the most sense.

Any takers?

Anyone feel like contacting a glass manufacturer and interviewing them? This would be so much more powerful then all of us speculating.

I'm also pretty sure that companies like Meguiar's go above and beyond in their research to 100% absolutely FOOL-PROOF their products from a consumer standpoint and also a legal liability standpoint before launching products that contains abrasives intended to be rubbed on the outside of a windshield.

From this this thread,

Meguiar’s Perfect Clarity Glass Care Kit

Quote Originally Posted by talonted

Nick (or anyone else), do you know if the glass polish contains cerium oxide or if it's just a normal SMAT abrasive set?

Knowing how careful Meguiar's is - before Nick posted a PUBLIC reply - he has already checked with his Manager on the accuracy of the information in the reply he then posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn

I can tell you that Perfect Clarity Polishing Compound is actually very different than our compounds designed for paint, it works to almost "super clean" the glass surface with a combination of Meguiar's proprietary SMAT abrasives as well as specialized cleaners.

From my experience working at Meguiar's I'm confident they have done their due diligence on the research aspect and would not have launched a CONSUMER friendly product if ADAS Glass was a RISK.

That said - as technology continues to evolve and be introduced this could change. As I type it's September 9th, 2020 and 2 more comments,

1: A brand new car with ADAS Glass shouldn't need to be buffed hard to remove sub-surface defects. Key word being shouldn't.

2: If car manufacturers are going to build their cars with glass that cannot be polished - they should put a warning in the owner's manual.

So back to my request - would someone like to research this?

And if you find car manufacturers that state the glass on their cars should not be mechanically polished - let's get this information out for ALL to benefit from.

Thank you ahead of time.

Mike Phillips

More info....

In the video I stated that gloss polishing is MESSY. If you notice, I have the body panels surrounding the glass completely covered up with Autogeek Cover-up Towels.

AFTER the video - I took a few pictures to prove what I stated is accurate. And keep in mind, the splatter dots you're going to see on the sections of the car that were NOT covered up was after only polishing one section of the windshield.

Had I continued and polished the entire windshield - you would see a LOT more splatter dots all over the place.

Here you can see the Autogeek Cover-up Towels placed and taped down on the car to cover the nearby body panel.

You would think this was overkill or at least, good enough?

Here's the back of the roof...

Here's the same picture but I've cropped out a section close to the cover-up towel.

SEE the splatter dots?

They slung all the way from the windshield PAST the cover-up towel and onto the back portion of the roof.

Here's the back half of the driver's side of the car - see the splatter dots?

Don't take my word for it - go by the splatter dots all over the car.

Glass polishing is messy - so cover up.

Post Thanks / Like

If I needed to polish my windshield I'd get the Autogeek covers and put an old car cover on the car and then cut out the windshield area. I'm glad I never threw away my old car cover. Im also sure one can buy one for cheap too.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

More....

In this LIVE Detailing Class video, I talked about an incident where I accidentally scratched the INSIDE of the windshield of a Ferrari. While I don't have a picture of the scratch, at least that I can find, here's the actual car...

Where you see the yellow box - that's where the band on my wrist watch scratched the glass on the inside - just above the steering wheel.

Yeah yeah yeah, everyone says, you should have taken off your watch. Of course that's easy to say for all you Monday Quarterbacks. But as I said in the video - I was NOT detailing the interior of the car, just the outside. The only reason I cleaned the inside of the glass was because it had smudges that were making my "Beauty Shots" look like crap. So jumped into the car to quickly clean the glass (and that's all), and that's when I put about a 2" scratch in the glass.

My fault for being a nice guy or nice detailer.

Here's a few more pictures of this car, not sure where the write-up is?

Often times the owners of cars don't even realize they have thin spots because they are so used to looking at the car "big picture", you as a detailer don't look at the car you examine the car and defects stand out like a sore thumb.

This is why you want to inspect, document and show the owner anything that looks risky before you touch the car.

Here's the area on the Ferrari with the thin paint...

Here it is after I taped-off anything I didn't feel like "detailing" afterwards...

Here I've circled the thin spot and you can see a strip of painter's tape actually over the thin spot.

And keep in mind, if you find one raised body line that someone else has burned through in the past, there could be other raised body lines that are not burned through yet but the paint is whisper thin and even if you're as careful as humanly possible you could still burn through, even if you're working by hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12