autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LIVE Detailing Class: Will this buff out?

I just wanted to say thanks for doing these online videos. It has been such a wonderful distraction with all the things going on to learn something new and see new products.
    Keep up the good work!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great video. Just watched it this morning, thank you!

One part I paid attention to was when you were describing the Griots system design. So for say a basic 1 step-correction type of packaged (i.e. one correction step, followed by a separate single protection step), I could essentially just have those three correction creams, do a test spot, choose my weapon and do the whole car. Then what I think I heard you say was after that single correction step, you just follow it up with a final protectant step (you mentioned the Griots final polish and seal cream/AIO). For one step correction packages, after I perform the correction I tend to use a simple spray on protection product for time/ease of use for daily drivers (something like a Seal n Shine type of product). Do you feel that all of these correction creams, including the heaviest cut, typically leaves a good enough surface to go straight to the final sealer, again assuming the final sealer is not buffer applied?

I'm a novice and actually have been moving over the the Griots system (G8 & G9, and I've used up my m105 & m205 and have purchased the Griots BOSS creams instead now from you guys, however I use the LC foam pads). I probably won't get quite as nice of results with a shorter throw machine, but still pretty good, and I love how Griot's just keeps it fairly simple taking a lot of the guess work out of it for part timers like me who don't have the capacity to want to try a hundred different products/processes.

Thanks again!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Halon View Post

Great video. Just watched it this morning, thank you!
    Thanks for watching.

One part I paid attention to was when you were describing the Griots system design.

So for say a basic 1 step-correction type of packaged (i.e. one correction step, followed by a separate single protection step),
    I would call this a 2-step package. You're doing 2 things to the paint. One of them is the correction step the other the protection step.

A 1-step package would be using an AIO.

I could essentially just have those three correction creams, do a test spot, choose my weapon and do the whole car. Then what I think I heard you say was after that single correction step, you just follow it up with a final protectant step (you mentioned the Griots final polish and seal cream/AIO).
    Correct. And that is what I said in the video.

For one step correction packages, after I perform the correction I tend to use a simple spray on protection product for time/ease of use for daily drivers (something like a Seal n Shine type of product). Do you feel that all of these correction creams, including the heaviest cut, typically leaves a good enough surface to go straight to the final sealer, again assuming the final sealer is not buffer applied?
    No. Not always. It TOTALLY depends on the hardness or softness of the paint. If you're working on soft paint and the first step process is leaving micro-marring then you must or should do a second polishing step using a less aggressive product and pad to remove the micro-marring. That's where the Griot's Finishing Sealant comes into play.

If the paint is hard - then you can usually get away with doing one step using aggressive products (that use GREAT ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY), and then seal the paint.

This is why you always do a TEST SPOT. You should know if the paint is hard or soft after your first Test Spot and then you'll know how to proceed. If you're doing this for money you need to have "packages" and you sell your customer the package that fits them, their budget and their car.

More defect removal means more time means higher package.

I'm a novice and actually have been moving over the the Griots system (G8 & G9, and I've used up my m105 & m205 and have purchased the Griots BOSS creams instead now from you guys, however I use the LC foam pads).
    All good stuff.

I probably won't get quite as nice of results with a shorter throw machine, but still pretty good,
    I completely disagree. I love short throw or short stroke machines like the Porter Cable and Griot's G6 and now G9

With short stroke there's another benefit - less pad stalling. See my article here,

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Remember? I showed this in this video only I was holding the tool in the air with JUST the backing plate facing the camera.

and I love how Griot's just keeps it fairly simple taking a lot of the guess work out of it for part timers like me who don't have the capacity to want to try a hundred different products/processes.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Thanks for watching and as I also mentioned in this video - a bunch of us left Meguiar's.

I landed here and about 4, 5 maybe 6 guys from Meguiar's landed at Griot's. Jason Rose left Meguiar's and ended up at RUPES.

Change is good.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Yancy is awesome! Lol

Another GREAT video, boys.

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Very good topic and the perfect car as example.

I could see that Mike was relaxed after his vacation time, came back with smiles and lots of banter with Yancy. Suggested video and good tips on the Defelsko paint thickness gauge.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Skoob View Post

I just wanted to say thanks for doing these online videos.

It has been such a wonderful distraction with all the things going on to learn something new and see new products.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you sir and share with your friends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12