autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HOW-TO: PREP WASH - Live Detailing Class - TUESDAY June 16th at 3:00pm Eastern Time

^^I agree 100% Mike.

Mike Phillips

Re: HOW-TO: PREP WASH - Live Detailing Class - TUESDAY June 16th at 3:00pm Eastern Time

Shared here,

Questions and help needed with water filter?

I dry all my cars off with the Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying towels. I share why I like them in this recent video.

Fast forward to the 40:38 time mark

Like I say in the video - I can dry any car with 3 of these towels and they can be had in a 3-pack.

Cobra 3 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels, 20 x 40 inches

Mike Phillips

Re: Live Detailing Class - Prep Wash for Paint Correction & Ceramic Coating - 2017 Shelby Mustang GT350

More....

After the prep wash and mechanical decontamination, the next day I did all the polishing work and then applied the PBL Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro.

Here's the link to the full write-up and the rest of the pictures.

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating PRO

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro

Mike Phillips

Re: Live Detailing Class - Prep Wash for Paint Correction & Ceramic Coating - 2017 Shelby Mustang GT350

Just received an e-mail from a car enthusiast that after watching this video had a few questions. I'll do my best to answer them and then send him the link to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck

Mike,

We have never met before, but I am a big fan of your show. I watch your videos when I have time regularly. I just finished the video of the deep clean of your brother in law’s GT350 Mustang.

I completely understand the cleaning to the glass. What product do you recommend for the deep glass cleaning? It looks like you used a Blackfire Product.

I understand the Iron removal as well. Also looks like a Blackfire product.
    The product you see me using is this one,

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover 32 oz.

This is ONLY for glass. You can use it by hand or machine and like I say in the video, any type of machine. Also any type of pad. I tend to use it with an orbital and a foam CUTTING pad. The product is THIN and I strongly recommend you shake it well before use. This is one product I think our chemist could THICKEN and also reformulate to help it stay in suspension better. Just my 30+ years of experienced observation. Nonetheless, it works great and I teach this product and this technique in all my car detailing classes.

Here's my review for this product and all those pictures are the REAL-DEAL - No mock-up. (lots of mock-up in our industry)

Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

NOTE: As shared in the video - this polish is for TOPICAL glass polishing only. In order to remove actual scratches like wiper blade marks OUT of the glass you need to use a polish that contains Cerium Oxide. Yancy and I will be making a video that shows how to do this type of glass polishing in the future.

If you want to find out when that LIVE Detailing Class is coming up, subscribe to my newsletter here,

Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter

The pre-wash deep cleaner, what brand was that?
    I"m guessing, when you say PRE-WASH deep cleaner, you're referring to the IRON REMOVER. The product that bled red on the white paint. This product?

If so, that is this product,

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover - 32 ounce

Here's a video that shows how to use it. I have a how-to article but for some reason the pictures are not showing up?

Also - I mentioned another article I wrote for the industry, this one,

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

An iron remover is one of those products you want to use but you don't actually want it to work - Mike Phillips

Also, on the clay bar you did….did I understand the video correctly that the rag you used was actually a clay rag?

If so, what is that called specifically on the site so I can locate?

Here's the link to this product,

Speed Master Clay Towel

A few years ago, replacement for detailing clay were introduced. These replacement are a polymerized rubber with a pulverized abrasive in them. In case you didn't know, normal detailing clay is a type of plastic clay with pulverized abrasives in it. Here's my review and how-to article,

Review: Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt

You used an actual bar of clay for the graphics on the Mustang. That was just because the graphics could be more sensitive to the abrasion of the clay itself, correct?
    Yes. For the graphics I used an ULTRA FINE clay as it's is safer than the rubber style clay replacements.

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - 2 Bars

If you have vinyl graphics with swirls and scratches, in my opinion, removing them is an "advanced skill set". I show how here,

Remove swirls scratches by machine in Vinyl Stripes Decals Graphics Corvette

Finally, you mention this, but the video ends. You say that by claying the car, you have committed to at least 1 level of polishing the vehicle. What would you use to polish the vehicle? I assume you would use an orbital buffer with a fine micro fiber pad?

Yes, my rule of thumb as a professional detailer is - if I do ANY type of mechanical decontamination, (that's claying), then I've ALREADY committed to do at least ONE machine polishing step and that is to remove any marring inflcted by the mechanical decontamination process.

IN FACT - I wrote a brand new article on this exact topic this week.

Post date: July 21st, 2020

Clay mars soft paint - 2020 C8 Corvette - Soft Paint

This is called clay marring - 2020 C8 Corvette

NOTE: The above was me purposefully TESTING a new clay to see what it would do. After the testing, I switched over to the ULTRA FINE grade clay I referenced above in your question about clay towels.

Then - for the paint correction step for the Shelby Mustang, I machine polished the paint using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover using the BEAST with RUPES 7" yellow foam polishing pads.

I share my process here,

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro

Would you then apply a coat of wax over the polish after with the buffer?
    You could. You could apply a wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a ceramic coating. For this Shelby, I used and then reviewed a brand new ceramic coating.

Here's my process

Paint Correction

Step 1: Waterless wash
    Step 2: Clayed paint using Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Pinnacle Clay Lube
    Step 3: Machine polished paint using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover using the BEAST with RUPES 7" yellow foam polishing pads.

How to prep the paint and install the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating PRO

Step 1: Spray the Diamond Surface Prep Spray to a section of a panel and then using a clean, dry microfiber towel, spread the product over the section and then flip to a clean dry side and remove the spray residue.

IMPORTANT: It's important that you use plenty of clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels to avoid cross-contamination during this prep spray process.

Mike's Pro Technique Tip

Before you ever use any microfiber towels on your car's finish you should first visually and through your sense of touch, inspect the towels. Microfiber towels by their very nature are grabby. We love them because of how well they GRAB onto spray residues as well as compound, polish and wax residues, but in this same way they excel at removing unwanted substances off your car's finish they also excel at grabbing un-wanted contaminants onto them and into their weave. Things like sticks, leaves, dead bugs, etc. If you have not read this article or watched the video where I show how to correctly inspect your towels, take a moment to do so.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Step 2: Install the coating working small sections at a time.

If you're new to ceramic coatings, the coating world has it's own lingo. The word install simply means to apply. I'm not sure who chose to coin the word install instead of simply using the word apply but as the saying goes, once the Genie is out of the bottle, it's kind of difficult to put the Genie back into the bottle. So don't be confused, you're going to APPLY the coating.

First place a row of drops across the face of one side of a coating applicator like this,

Apply the coating using a crosshatch motion

Then using a crosshatch pattern, apply and spread the coating to a section of paint no larger than around 2' by 2'. Basically divide larger panels like the roof, hood, doors and fenders into smaller sections. Then apply using a back-n-forth and side-to-side motion. Normally you make this crosshatch pattern 4 times over each section of paint and this is to ensure full and even coverage of the coating over the paint.

Here I'm moving the applicator front to back, that is away from me and then back towards me...

And here's the final results....

But "yes" you could keep it a lot more simple and apply your favorite car wax.

Thank you very much!

Buck

Okay, I've broken up your e-mail into smaller bite-size chunks to make it easier to answer.

Note by taking this to the FORUM - I'm able to insert,

• Links to the products you ask about.
    • Links to more topical information
    • Pictures.
    • Videos

And - MORE people can see the questions and the answers versus if I would have replied in an e-mail. And if history is any indicator, THOUSANDS of people will see this thread and thus the information. While I love Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, you simply CANNOT share this kind of information on those social media platforms. Thus I can't help someone on those social media platforms like I can on this forum. There's all good, it's just each has it's own strength and each has it's own weakness.

Hang tight will I type out the answers.

As I type it's 3:25pm, July 22nd, 2020. After I'm finished, I'll share what time it is and this shows how much time I invest into Autogeek's Customer Care on the forum.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

As I type it's 3:25pm, July 22nd, 2020.

After I'm finished, I'll share what time it is and this shows how much time I invest into Autogeek's Customer Care on the forum.
    Just finished and according to the clock on the wall in my office, it's now

4:25Pm

It took me approximately 1 hour to find all the information I shared above, then format it via pure BB Code or WYSIWYG to insert it into my reply to both answer your questions and give you links and more info.

I hope that helps and I hope you can see how a forum enables me to share this kind of detailed information that I can NEVER share in an e-mail.

and the good news, is... it doesn't cost anything.

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum - THE best forum on the Internet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12