autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Original Single Stage - 1937 Packard - The Number #7 Rub Down Technique

Yeah definitely. Glad to see how durable those towels are
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

And for anyone interested,

Here's how I handled all the britework....

How to polish oxidized stained bright work - BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant - 1937 Packard Super Eight

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I've had a number of people comment that the DIRECTIONS on the bottle of Number #7 state to wipe the product off after application.

I should write an article about

Product Label Directions for #7

But here's some info to try to help out anyone wanting to do the Number #7 Rub Down Technique.

The directions o the bottle of #7 and any Meguiar’s product are what are called Bubba-Proofed. They are dumbed-down and written for the lowest common denominator among us. This reduce future customer complaints – you know, people that complain because something isn’t easy or didn’t work and often times that's user-error.

If I let Number #7 sit on my car's paint over night - won't it be difficult to wipe off?

Yes, of course the product will be difficult to wipe off but there’s no way for the oils in the product to MIGRATE into the paint without giving them TIME. Did you see this picture in my recent write-up?

See the oils and how they migrated out into the paper? This took 24 hours, not a few minutes.

And because the product is oily, it’s not going to jump off the paint.

Technique Tip

If you watch the recent video I made or read the above article, you’ll see I recommend very specific types of towels to make wiping off easier. You want a towel that has a LARGE LOOP of FIBER called the NAP. This LOOP will help you by SLICING into the oily film and breaking it up.

Like dissolves like

Another tips that I’m sorry to say I forgot to include in the video is the next day when you go to wipe off the #7 start by re-applying some #7.

The fresh application of the WET OILY Number #7 will dissolve itself and thus making wiping off the entire mess easier.

This technique is only for CHALKY looking antique single stage paint

The soaking overnight technique is only for CHALKY paint that has been neglected for years. I covered this in the video and in the above article.

If you car’s paint has a good hard shine then you don’t let it soak, just apply, massage over paint and wipe off. Then apply your favorite wax or stop after the #7 if it looks good to you and is a Garage Queen.

Hope this helps...

Please feel encouraged to join the AutogeekOnline.net forum – that’s where I answer questions and share articles. By the way, I can't share this type of in-depth MEATY information on Facebook, the Facebook interface simply is not designed for in-depth, meaty information.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN AUTOGEEKONLINE - the BEST online source for all car and boat detailing information

Mike Phillips

And one more tip...

If you decide to use the Number #7 Rub Down Technique on old chalky paint on an antique car.

Before applying to the entire car - just apply to ONE panel. Then remove it the next day or a few hours later and EXPERIENCE what it's like. This will tell you if this technique is for you or if maybe you should just skip it.

How's that saying go?

If it was easy everyone would do it

Something's in life are simply are not easy. They can be however, worthwhile.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, last week I spotted your article about #7 and the technique you used to bring back the paint on the 1937 Packard.

Earlier today I watched the video and wow, what a beautiful car. I would love to use this technique on a customer owned 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air, original paint, two tone. The front end is a taupe brown and the rear is beige/white.

My concern is with the trunk lid, the right side looks great, but the left side of the trunk lid (top of lid and extending down to the bumper) is crackled.

It appears to me that the paint was applied thicker in some areas.

Using the technique you mentioned I am concerned the towels might snag on pieces of paint, but I am excited about reviving the paint.

Your recommendations are very much appreciated. Thanks again for a great video.

Diana
    N2 Details

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by N2D View Post

My concern is with the trunk lid, the right side looks great, but the left side of the trunk lid (top of lid and extending down to the bumper) is crackled.
    This is normal and "yes" it is a concern.

Using the technique you mentioned I am concerned the towels might snag on pieces of paint, but I am excited about reviving the paint.
    The only thing you can do and the right thing to do is to

Take your time and work carefully. Instead of using a fiber cloth, use either a foam wax applicator pad or a short-nap microfiber applicator pad.

Like these,

Your recommendations are very much appreciated. Thanks again for a great video.

Diana
    N2 Details

I appreciate you joined our forum, read my write-up and watched the video. I have a special passion for restoring vintage paint as well as a special passion for helping others to restore vintage paint.

It's only original once

Please update us on this project and please take some before and after pictures. The BEFORE pictures are the most important. Once you start working on the paint it's going to CHANGE and you can never go back in time to get the before pictures.

Unless you can get the guys on The Big Bang to loan you their Time Machine

The Time Machine

Mike Phillips

I've actually shared this before,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

It's only original once

Please update us on this project and please take some before and after pictures. The BEFORE pictures are the most important. Once you start working on the paint it's going to CHANGE and you can never go back in time to get the before pictures.

Unless you can get the guys on The Big Bang to loan you their Time Machine

The Time Machine

In this thread,

Help buffing original single stage paint on 1981 Mustang and 1964 Rambler?

Of course, the guy that sent me the EMAIL asking for help - after I helped him on the FORUM (where he found me), never took the time to join the forum and share his results or even e-mail me and update me.

And this is why I don't like typing out LOTS of information for strangers that send me e-mails. Everyone is happy to let me invest company time for one set of eyeballs, but their often too lazy to put forth any effort on their side.

And that's why I appreciate you Diana @ N2 Details - you had a question and took YOUR time to join this forum and interact with me here.

Thank you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've actually shared this before,

In this thread,

Help buffing original single stage paint on 1981 Mustang and 1964 Rambler?

Of course, the guy that sent me the EMAIL asking for help - after I helped him on the FORUM (where he found me), never took the time to join the forum and share his results or even e-mail me and update me.

And this is why I don't like typing out LOTS of information for strangers that send me e-mails. Everyone is happy to let me invest company time for one set of eyeballs, but their often too lazy to put forth any effort on their side.

And that's why I appreciate you Diana @ N2 Details - you had a question and took YOUR time to join this forum and interact with me here.

Thank you.

Hi Mike!

The 55 came out gorgeous. Thanks so much for your comments. I have been a member for quite sometime just hadn’t really perused the app. But I am thankful I spotted your post.
    Here are a couple of photos.

Not the best photo given the light but crackle on the trunk lid.

Damage to the roof above the drivers side rear door.

Test area lower left and upper panel.

# 7 applied

After wipe down

Noticeable difference between right and left panel.

Couple of finished photos

Once again Mike, I appreciate your responses and support. Stay healthy, be well.

Diana
    N2 Details

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Hi Mike!

The 55 came out gorgeous. Thanks so much for your comments. I have been a member for quite sometime just hadn’t really perused the app. But I am thankful I spotted your post.

Once again Mike, I appreciate your responses and support. Stay healthy, be well.

Diana
    N2 Details

Thank you so much for the follow-up and the pictures showing your original paint restoration on the 1955 Chevy.

You did what I call,

Taking your car's paint to it's maximum potential

Nice work.

Mike Phillips

Re: LIVE Detailing Class - Restoring original paint with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast