autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting started...

Hi all, newbie around... my wife gift me a 7424xp and i started reading about how to use it and all the process, incredible learning material on the site, but what became a difficult task its decide what to buy to start using it. There's so many products, that its overwhelming.

I have 4 cars, 2 reds in great paint conditions, and 2 silver with moderate imperfections.

I know people get different results on products, but what I want its a quick list of what to buy, add them to autogeek cart and make the order.

What pads, what size, counterweight, backing plate, swirl remover, and glaze/wax.

Thanks,
    Edil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting started...

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You'll get a zillion options here but I'll take a shot at a short list that could get you started:

Backing plate:

I'd suggest this one -

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Pads:

LC flat pads work great - Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads

Since you stated your cars are in decent condition I'd suggest AT LEAST 3 each of orange, white and black. Orange for compounding and removal of swirls, white for polishing, black for applying wax The more pads the better.

Counterweight - already built into your PC

Swirl remover - start with some Meguiar's 205, a polish. If that doesn't do the trick (do a test spot!) step up to 105. Least aggressive first.

Glaze - unnecessary in my opinion if you're going to compound / polish.

Wax - wide open here. Collinite 845 is a possibility - durable, easy to apply and remove, and great look.

Hope this helps a little.

Depending on your location, maybe a forum member will offer to help out a bit and show you the ropes.

Good luck!!

Edit: You'll also want some good quality microfibers, and pad cleaner....the list can (and likely will, since you're here ) go on and on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostfreak View Post
    Hi all, newbie around... my wife gift me a 7424xp and i started reading about how to use it and all the process, incredible learning material on the site, but what became a difficult task its decide what to buy to start using it. There's so many products, that its overwhelming.
    That's great that you have such a loving wife to give you such a great gift! Welcome to the forum.

I have 4 cars, 2 reds in great paint conditions, and 2 silver with moderate imperfections.

I know people get different results on products, but what I want its a quick list of what to buy, add them to autogeek cart and make the order.

What pads, what size, counterweight, backing plate, swirl remover, and glaze/wax.
    What to purchase now really depends on what you want to do with these cars. Do you want to just keep them looking nice and well maintained or do you want to remove swirls? How much effort do you want to put into maintaining these vehicles? It is really difficult to suggest an arsenal for you if you just want to do something with like an all-in one step or if you really would like to a multi-step process.

These factors could be the difference in ordering one or two bottles of an all in one and a couple pads to several bottles of a compound, polish, wax/sealant and the pads necessary for each of those steps. It all depends on the "your effort and time" factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwatereagleman View Post
    That's great that you have such a loving wife to give you such a great gift! Welcome to the forum.

What to purchase now really depends on what you want to do with these cars. Do you want to just keep them looking nice and well maintained or do you want to remove swirls? How much effort do you want to put into maintaining these vehicles? It is really difficult to suggest an arsenal for you if you just want to do something with like an all-in one step or if you really would like to a multi-step process.

These factors could be the difference in ordering one or two bottles of an all in one and a couple pads to several bottles of a compound, polish, wax/sealant and the pads necessary for each of those steps. It all depends on the "your effort and time" factor.

Yep, good post.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your help.

rms64 - I would consider that options, seems a good place to start...

bwatereagleman - As for the time I could do a car per day on weekends, i want them to look great and protect the paint.

If theres an all-in-one step product, that would be great because for a newbie it would be easier.

For a multi-step, i think i could do 2 steps, like wash, clay, polish and swirl removal, seal.

Important note: 2 of my cars have great paint and I don't want to go to abrasive, only protect them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostfreak View Post
    Thanks guys for your help.

rms64 - I would consider that options, seems a good place to start...

bwatereagleman - As for the time I could do a car per day on weekends, i want them to look great and protect the paint.

If theres an all-in-one step product, that would be great because for a newbie it would be easier.

For a multi-step, i think i could do 2 steps, like wash, clay, polish and swirl removal, seal.

Important note: 2 of my cars have great paint and I don't want to go to abrasive, only protect them.
    Great! I have used 2 different all-in ones with great success. The XMT 360 and the Wolfgang Uber AIO are both really good products. XMT 360 is a bit easier to use and might be a great place to start. You can dial in your process and get the feel of machine polishing. I think the Lake Country flat pads and backing plate that were mentioned in a previous post would be exactly what I would choose to start as well. I would just point out that due to the sealant properties of an all-one, that you should think about using dedicated pads for an all-in one. It is very difficult to remove all of the all-in one product out of the pads. So, if you were thinking about purchasing some compound, polish, and other waxes/sealants to also purchase some additional pads for that type of work. Autogeek has a great deal for when you buy six pads at time.

If you wish to try the Wolfgang Uber AIO, that would be a great product to try on your red vehicles since the paint on those is in better condition. The Wolfgang Uber AIO is a bit more difficult to work in some areas than XMT 360, but I feel that is due to the sealant qualities of this product. It leaves a nice deep reflection and has quite a bit of durability. It is just a bit more difficult to remove than XMT 360.

Once you dial in your process, but you are not getting quite the desired results, then maybe try a multi-step process. I like the Wolfgang 4. As Mike Phillips has said on this forum, there isn't much you cannot tackle with these products. If you think you may need to compound, try the Uber Compound. Uber Total Swirl Remover is a great follow up polish. But with that said, the Uber Compound finishes down very nicely. It finishes down to be ready for your last step in a sealant/wax. The Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant enhances the glossiness and is durable.

Perhaps wait for one of AG's flash sales, as getting all of the products and pads listed, can add up in a hurry. Usually you can spend a certain amount and even get some free shipping as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I'm new here...