autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

trying to reinvent myself

I've been a loser my whole life and that's all i know how to be. I'm not joking. I was such a loser, all I ever did was draw pictures of cars. I'm not an artist and never saw myself as one, I only drew cars because I always loved them and I tend to draw things I love. I used to draw a bunch of things, and one thing that was always different about my drawings were the details I'd go into. Of course as I grew older it was less and less impressive and people who thought I was going to be an artist who painted pictures on TV and become the next van gogh were confused. I wasn't confused, I knew myself better than they did obviously. Anyway, we live in a society where you need to be able to market yourself as more than what you came with from the factory, so to speak. You are nothing until you're something, and then when you're something it becomes a lot easier to keep that momentum. Right now I'm nothing. I've been nothing my whole life. Just as I started off by saying, I've only been a loser and that's all I've known how to be. One thing though, I've always been a really smart loser. Time and time again I've caught people off guard with my hidden ability that didn't match their presumptions of me. There's always been that theme going in my life. Once upon a time, I decided to invest all my money ($1000) on a website. 8 months later I sold it and netted $250k. I was a senior in HS and failing all my classes and really did no college planning. I barely graduated but when I did it was the best day of my life. I hated school so much, now it was over and I had time to live life for the first time ever. So now I was someone who knew only one thing: being a loser, but now I have over $150k after taxes just chilling in my bank account. It threw me off, and I tried to toss the loser lifestyle behind once and for all, and become cool. Actually I got pretty far. I hung around winners, I learned all about winning. All while my family was filing for bankruptcy and I didn't know that, but I was still living at home and had a brand new awesome vehicle. Well, being that OCD loser I always was, I learned all about car culture. It's like I took that obsession with detail and converted it to a real life car. But now, I have nothing, I'm 27 and live at home. I'm here learning what I can because I want to reinvent myself as a detailer because I know I'm smart and obsessive about doing things right. This kind of thing just seems to be where I'd do best. My problem is I hate failure so much, that I cannot progress. I've been learning about detailing since washing my dads cars with him on Sunday when I was 12 years old. I'm almost 28 now and haven't ever polished a car before. Too afraid to ruin it. I signed up to this forum last year and in that time I learned a lot, but I don't have the money and tools or creativity to take my skills to the next level. I'm stuck at 3 bucket washing forever. I really don't believe I'll ever be able to go to the next level, but I'll have fun watching you all and maybe God will provide me a winning lottery ticket soon. Thank you for reading.

Edit: Yea I know this writing doesn't flow well and a bunch of pieces of the story are missing, but I never said I was good at writing. I've always been told I'm horrible at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: trying to reinvent myself

First off, you can start my ceasing to call yourself a loser. That really won't get you anywhere positive. You can't move up while simultaneously bringing yourself down.

Next up, this site is full of great people with lots of knowledge and experience.

I had no experience polishing a car prior to visiting this site. I picked up a PC7424, some bottles of stuff and went to town. I did a pretty decent job on my notoriously soft Acura black paint. From there, I hit my 77 Cutlass and my 73 442. Since I felt I was on a roll, I tackled my parents Subaru for good measure.

My goal was not to be a detailer, just to make the things I have shinier! The people here have helped me accomplish this.

Welcome to the site.

Read, learn, share and succeed. Good luck to you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only part of your past which you've laid out in the extended paragraph above which is of any importance is the investment you made. Turning $1,000 into $250,000 with little to no effort is something to be proud of. You made a decision and it paid off. Not many people who are successful today can say they did that before finishing high school.

With that being said, one of the nicest things about hitting rock bottom is that there is literally no where to go but up. Akin to what damaged442 said, you have to stop with the defeated attitude that you have because that is a self fulfilling prophesy.

You have a 3 bucket method set up right now.

Below is an example of how you can go out and start sharpening extra skills. For less than $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3000.../dp/B004HCOE72

1. Hang out in a mall parking lot for the day. As people get out of their cars to shop, find someone with jacked up headlights, offer to restore the headlights for either $10-15. If they bite, explain to them your car washing method and possibly get a new customer. But honestly, if even one person bites, then you were successful with at least getting another car to practice on. Hell, if anything, you got to hang out at the mall for a day.

Do NOT, under any circumstance, assume that all of the people on this site started with all of the fancy electronics and gadgets that they use. Most of the people who have those gizmos, have carefully perfect their techniques up to needing those tools to advance to the next level.

Post Thanks / Like

Little steep for a Monday on a car detailing forum, don't ya think? Could have waited til Thursday at least. Lol. Welcome

Post Thanks / Like

OP needs mental healthcare IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need some "cheering-up".
    Here goes:

"Hands on your hips;
    A smile on your lips.
    Spirit in your heart...
    We're ready to start"!

Bob "The Cheerleader"
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You can't be a loser. Only one per forum at a time and I'm not leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Way to go...That's a-telling him:
    Good Job!!!

OOOOPS...UH OH:
    I believe you just lost your loser status.
    Sorry 'bout that.

NEXT!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post

Hahahaha!

👍🏽

Post Thanks / Like

Losing at anything, simply means another try is necessary. Not all things come without careful consideration, practice, and holding onto faith and determination.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.