autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. New guy and business in Hartford Ky.

My name is Robert Williams.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile. The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

The wash bay is climate controlled and I am already quite busy. Ive been getting at least a car a day right out of the gate. A few days ive gotten 3-5 vehicles in a day and had to get a family relative to help me.

Im very pumped and excited. My biggest thing is that my area is not overun with high quality exquisite vehicles.

My vacuum is a shop vac and if the carpets need cleaning,,,,its carpet cleaner and elbow grease.

If you mention the word detail to 20 people you get 20 different expectations.

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

Mike Phillips

Re: Hello. New guy and business in Hartford Ky.

Quote Originally Posted by remofire View Post

My name is Robert Williams.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that after you made this introduction post that nobody, including me welcomed you to the forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Are you still in the shop you mention here,

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile.

The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

Sounds like a good location and a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your overhead low and quality work.And things may change for you.You only need 50 good loyal customers. Reach out to some wholesalers who mainly deal with imported cars.2 reasons why they tend to pay more and a majority of the interiors are somewhat presentable.Stay away from tahoes etc.There time eaters.Good luck and welcome to the forum.

4. Likes 58LesPaul liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that after you made this introduction post that nobody, including me welcomed you to the forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Are you still in the shop you mention here,

Sounds like a good location and a good price.

I am still here. Climate controlled is now heat. No sir. But that's ok. I still have mainly senior citizens and soccer moms in my county. Very little t no demand for any high end work. I do quick car washes in and out for $40-50, a mid range which is just more thorough cleanups, but still no wax or carpet shampoo for around $60-$80 and I start my complete in and out with wax and carpets extracted for $150 and up. I'll give you a couple of pictures in the email. I've tried uploading them to this forum on 3 different devices but it always says invalid file.

Mike Phillips

I am still here. Climate controlled is now heat. No sir. But that's ok. I still have mainly senior citizens and soccer moms in my county. Very little t no demand for any high end work.

I do quick car washes in and out for $40-50, a mid range which is just more thorough cleanups, but still no wax or carpet shampoo for around $60-$80 and I start my complete in and out with wax and carpets extracted for $150 and up.

I'll give you a couple of pictures in the email.

I've tried uploading them to this forum on 3 different devices but it always says invalid file.

I received the pictures you sent me via e-mail, I'm leaving for the day but I'll post them for you tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Neighbor! I'm in Hawesville. I'm just a hobby detailer doing family vehicles. I bought a used car over there from 2 guys that had married sisters, is that the lot you are working from?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If you mention the word detail to 20 people you get 20 different expectations.

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

Ain't that the truth.
    Sounds like a bread-and-butter plan.

Prime location.Low rent.
    Climate controlled.
    Sounds like you hit the detailing trifecta.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

Keep your overhead low and quality work. And things may change for you.

You only need 50 good loyal customers.

Reach out to some wholesalers who mainly deal with imported cars.

2 reasons why they tend to pay more and a majority of the interiors are somewhat presentable.

Stay away from tahoes etc. There time eaters.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Damn good advice from Jeff.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    Hey Neighbor! I'm in Hawesville. I'm just a hobby detailer doing family vehicles. I bought a used car over there from 2 guys that had married sisters, is that the lot you are working from?

Jeff

Well...... I'm sorry I missed these last few responses. Didn't notice my notifications or something. Lol yes sir that IS the carlot I speak of. Still there. I have one full time and two part time employees now. Just ordered a Makita PO 5000C after demoing it and the Pace Paint finishing system and I'm going to start offering buffing soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Very old post resurected

Glad to see your business went well since 2014.

I would love to find a place for 300$ / month! Until I do, I guess I will stay mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast